Why do people decorate their doors?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2004, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Forgive me but I can't imagine anything tackier than door decorating. I've seen it mentioned quite a lot on cruise critic and it just cracks me up that people actually do this.

On a Disney ship I guess I could understand it but I know the cruiselines don't like it. They spend a fortune to make their ships look as they do to have them end up looking like something out of Walmart.

I guess this is probably common on Carnival too.

Some children's people...
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 02:10 PM

Rosemary, I've seen small door signs done for family reunions, large groups cruising together or even for a couple just celebrating a special anniversary etc. All in good fun...nothing to dampen your good time. I'm sure cruiselines wouldn't allow anything that was too flashy or over the top.
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 04:22 PM

So when they are drunk in the evening they can find their own cabin.
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

LOL! Good point Gail!

It's funny I've been on 2 Celebrity cruises and I swear I've never seen a door decorated.

I must admit, I kind of like the idea of the door having something albeit very small identifying it as your cabin, but all the garrish, theme, party, balloons nonsense is ridiculous!

We'll be on the NCL Dream to Northern Europe/Baltics in August for 2 weeks and I'm putting my money on not seeing any "dumb doors".

It's funny on the CC boards people are whining because people tear them down, duh people, take a hint, most of us don't want to see that, this isn't kindergarten!
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 06:47 PM

I think it is tacky too. Some of those people go on and on about it.

Have you read about what they do to the balconies? They drag along Christmas lights and string them on the balcony. On one board, someone was bringing a big blow up palm tree.

Gail,

Loved your comment!
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 06:55 PM
Original Poster

Please say it isn't so.

If I were the Crusieline, I'd put a stop to it in a heartbeat.

Aren't the Christmas lights a fire hazard anyway? Besides, who has enough electrical outlets for such nonsense?
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 07:32 PM

One person's tackiness is another person's enjoyment....I don't know why you'd care what another person has on their door? What a strange thing to complain about.
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 08:01 PM
Original Poster

It's just like the "tacky tourist sightings" thread only this one should be called TACKY TOURIST ACTIVITIES In my opinion. Which last time I checked, I was entitled to.
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 08:08 PM
Original Poster

Please just save the door decorations for the trailor parks where they belong.

I'm too young to remember but cruiseships used to be grand and elegant, not some rowdy, juvenile party.
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 09:11 PM

Gail, that was hysterical.
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 07:55 AM

So funny Gail!
Now that I think about it, I was on an NCL cruise where there were balloons on the outside of a door for a birthday. Luckily, I think they were only up for one day so it didn't cross into "tackieness". I can't even imagine people bringing Christmas lights for balconys...that's is CRAZY and STUPID! Though, I wouldn't let any of that ruin my good time...better than being onboard with a bunch of rude, obnoxious drunks.
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 09:24 AM

Some people can find just about anything to complain about, crochedy folks, I suppose next you'll want to be compensated for the inconvenience your eyes have been subjected too..... So negative, that's really too bad. The only way to protect yourself from the evil doers is by not cruising anymore

People wanting to enjoy themselves really should be gotten rid of...., especially honeymooners and those celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary- the nerve!