Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Do you watch TV in your cabin while cruising?

Oct 17th, 2007, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Before my first cruise everyone told me that I would only be in my cabin for a few hours during the night and the rest of the time I would be on the ship doing activities or on a shore excursion. That was not true, we spent hours in our cabin relaxing watching TV just like at home.

I liked Carnival Cruise-lines the best because they had American Network TV and I could watch my favorite shows.

I could not find anyone else who admitted they watched TV in their cabin while cruising. Do you?
Oct 17th, 2007, 10:52 AM

We watch CNN or Fox News usually once a day just to try to keep up with what's going on in the USA (especially if we're in Asia, Africa, South American ports). If there's been a guest lecturer onboard that we missed seeing live, or port information, we'll watch the re-run on TV too usually while we're getting ready for dinner. Once in awhile on a sea day when the weather is really bad outside we'll play a DVD or watch a movie.
Oct 17th, 2007, 10:52 AM

No.I dont watch much tv anyway.Taking a cruise is thrilling,IMHO.Every minute of it so my answer is no.
Oct 17th, 2007, 11:52 AM

Ditto! Never even turn it on.
Oct 17th, 2007, 12:21 PM

We never watch TV either. We turn it on while we are getting ready to go out to catch up with CNN but that's about it. There are too many other things do - why pay for a cruise to do what you can do at home?
Oct 17th, 2007, 01:44 PM

We turn it on to get the news, ship board lectures and the view from the bridge - - - like to have it on while we're getting dressed in a.m. and for dinner.
Oct 17th, 2007, 02:16 PM

We have the TV on while we're in the cabin and it usually tuned into the "bridge cam". Where there is no bridge cam, we either don't turn it on or watch the continous infomercial promoting ship's events (for back ground noise)

We cruise to get away, watching CNN or the news is not on my activity list. Unless it is something really BIG and it is broadcast all over the ship, it is not newsworthy enough. Mind you, my wife caught me catching the playoff scores on the tube one time ...

Oct 17th, 2007, 02:39 PM

When I responded to the original poster I should have added that we do try to check in with the news once a day because many of our cruises are about 3-4 months long so it is more important to feel "in touch" with the USA. We also get USA Today delivered to our cabin so my DH can do the crossword puzzles. LOL

If I were on a 1 or 2 week cruise I probably wouldn't pay much attention to the news or any other TV channel. I'd rather listen to music in our cabin so I always bring CDs to play.
Oct 17th, 2007, 02:39 PM

In the evening I enjoy watching some TV after the show. Otherwise its on when were in the cabin but just to catch up with the news.
Oct 17th, 2007, 04:07 PM

No TV, no laptop or internet.

Oct 17th, 2007, 04:35 PM

HI BEACH BOI... We sare guilty as "q-tps"..try to keep up with the news and if we are taking a rest before supper and evening events..
Oct 17th, 2007, 06:21 PM

We don't watch a lot of TV at home. Probably watch a news channel in the morning while getting ready but nothing after that. I cannot understand why someone would or want to spend hours watching TV in the cabin.