Search

Cabin for three

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2012, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cabin for three

I have taken more than 20 cruises with my son. We had inside cabins, outside view and some with balcony, even had bunk beds once. My problem is that now he has a girlfriend. I still want to cruise with him but would like them to also have some privacy.

Any suggestions as far as ships that would have cabins with curtain separating the bed and the couch, or communicating cabins, but I don't want to have to pay double the price if I'm alone in one cabin.

We never been any bigger than a cabin with balcony. Would any junior suite, etc. solve my problem?
Old Jun 21st, 2012, 12:55 PM

We had a Superior Verandah Suite or Stateroom. It was about 50% bigger than standard. There was plenty of room for 3. Privacy could be a problem, depending what kind of privacy you want. Our cabin claimed a dressing room which amounted to na curtain that could be drawn across the corridor which contained the closets and the bathroom access. The bath was large with a tub and a shower. Lots of room around the sinks.
This was on the HAL Zuiderdam and Noordam. I suggest you look at the web site for the ship you are considering and look at the floor plans for different cabins as well as photos of the cabins.
Old Jun 21st, 2012, 02:31 PM

I know that many of Royal Caribbean's ships have "Family Oceanview" and "Family Inside" cabins. I believe they even have a wall separating beds.

I once sailed on an NCL ship (ocean view mini suite) that had a curtain you could pull across separating the bed from the sofa/bed. Our son was with us, so it was a very nice feature. Some of their ships may still have this feature.

You might also go to www.cruisecritic and ask on their cruise line treads regarding cabins. You might even find photos of the cabins.

Good luck.
Old Jun 21st, 2012, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your suggestions.

I remembered having an outside view cabin with a curtain separating the beds and the couch for privacy. I just checked my list of ships I went on and it was a cruise I took in 2003 on the Norwegian Wind. I just went on the internet to look for the Wind and found out that the ship has been retired and is no longer on service.
Old Jun 21st, 2012, 02:48 PM

Silly question ... now that he has a girl friend, do they mind having you in the same cabin?

Some ships have suites with a sitting area, typically, the couch/bed is not all that comfy.

Some ships have Family suites but then they are more aimed at family with younger children. Are you prepare to give them the "master bedroom" and take the couch yourself?

You should consult your local TA. They should have information as to what ship has family suites and if the price is reasonable comparing to paying a single suppliment. In general, suites are more expensive than regular cabins, plus higher auto tip amount per person.

Btw, I hope your son realize how lucky he is to have you as a parent!
Old Jun 21st, 2012, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

To: BarbAnn
I just checked the RCL Superior Ocean View Staterooms, it seems they have quite a few choices with curtain separating the beds and the sofa/bed. I haven't checked the prices yet... could be in for a shock!

To: Eschew
She's never been on a cruise, she is more in favour of an all-inclusive resort vacation. They would get the "master bedroom". I would even settle for a "bunk bed" cabin so that everyone can have their own privacy, but I would hate it if I had to pay 200% because I would be alone. That's why I'm cruising with him, he keeps me company and I don't have to pay for a single supplement.

And my son realizes how lucky he is to have been on so many cruises (his 1st one when he was 11 on August 1992 - the week of Hurricane Andrew, it was going North and we were going South, just missed it. We were on the Monarch of the Seas, brand new and the biggest ship at the time.

Our last cruise was in Dec. 11 on the Ruby Princess. We were at the Art Auction enjoying free champagne and looking at two Fabian Perez paintings, he casually asked me which one I liked the best and... when it was time for auctioning them, he raised his hand and bid on the one I liked, and got it for me. I didn't want him to do it, specially that he knew he would be jobless a few months later. He started a new one this month and is celebrating his 1st-year anniversay (not living together) with is girlfriend this week-end. He'll have a week vacation at the end of the year... so I'm starting to plan for the cruise (probably my last one with him).
Old Jun 21st, 2012, 09:53 PM

Just remembered that Disney Cruises have staterooms with curtains that can be pulled between bed and sofa/bed. I have not cruised Disney, but everyone I know raves about them (even if they do not travel with kids). Worth a look.
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 03:37 PM

whiteowlmtlca, good for you! And too bad that it maybe the last one he'll cruise with you. I hope you are wrong. Maybe he'll pay for the single supplemnet for you ...
Old Jun 25th, 2012, 05:22 AM

One possibility is to simply book an inside and an outside cabin across the hall from each other. But this can be costly. Norwegian Epic has some very nice, well-priced inside single cabins, and you could also book one of those and another cabin on the same deck, but you wouldn't be next to each other.

There are definitely family cabins with separate bedrooms, but they are really expensive. A lot of the larger ships have curtains separating the seating area from the bed. That's pretty common in the minisuite category of all NCL ships.

But this is a situation that cries out for a knowledgable travel agent who can guide you through the process and find a ship that will meet all your needs. Please go that route, ideally with someone specializing in cruises.