Denali Nat Park or Fairbanks?

Jan 19th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Denali Nat Park or Fairbanks?

I am looking at taking an Alaska cruise this spring...would the experienced travelers recommend a day or two in Fairbanks then on to Denali National Park for a short visit? Or should we skip Fairbanks for a longer stay in the Denali/Mt McKinley area? Thanks!
Jan 19th, 2009, 12:14 PM

I have never been to Fairbanks since multiple posters here advised me that my time would be better spent elsewhere. How long will you have for land touring and where else are you going?
Jan 21st, 2009, 11:29 AM

I would recommend a visit to Fairbanks especially if you plan to be as close as Denali Park. My DH and myself booked a trip to Fairbanks last May, flying from Calgary through Seattle to Fairbanks.
We stayed at the Alpine Inn near the airport(free shuttle service), a very nice place with a bountiful complimentary breakfast. National Car Rental Agency is next door to hotel. It is a bustling city with lots to see. You will not want to miss the Santa Claus House and Santa Claus at the North Pole, just a short drive from Fairbanks. The Artic Circle is only 150 miles North and you can drive their yourself or take a tour. The Alaska Pipeline (400 miles of it above ground) is proudly displayed at an information centre north of the city. Delicious Salmaon Bake is to die for. River tours on a Paddlewheeler are another highlight.
We took the Alaska Railroad Train down to Anchorage ( 12 hour trip), stoping at Denali Park to disembark passengers and also picking up. Scenery is spectacular along the way and saw lots of wildlife.
Stayed a couple of days in Anchorage at the Comfort Inn on Sheep Creek (another complimentary breakfast) near the Train Station and the Ulu Factory.
Took train again down to Seward (four hours) to catch the Holland America ms Veendam on May 23rd cruising to Vancouver for seven days. This whole trip was fabulous. Weather was sunny and fairly warm for the time of year. Only saw a couple of mosquitos. Check out Alaska Tourism for lots of information.
Happy travelling
Jan 23rd, 2009, 03:18 PM

We took a Holland America cruise and tour a few years ago. We left from Vancouver. Then disembarked at Seward and took a boat trip on the Kinai Peninsula, stayed at a ski resort, spent a day in Anchorage, took the Alaska RR to Denali, then to Fairbanks and then flew back to Seattle. All of it was wonderful. In Denali we took a long bus ride into the park and saw a lot of wildlife. There is not really much more to do there unless you are an experienced backpacker. The Kinai trip was superb. It was July, but very cold on an open boat. I think Fairbanks is worth seeing, if only to say you've been there.
Jan 23rd, 2009, 04:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for the responses...It isn't a long stay in Fairbanks but I think I will add on the extra couple of days and check it out!