Cruises Forums

Post New Topic

Recent Activity

  • Announcements:
  • Come explore the new Fodor’s Forum
    by ibobi Fodor's Editor | Posted on Dec 4, 17 at 08:03 PM
  • New Fodor’s forum -- coming soon!
    by ibobi Fodor's Editor | Posted on Nov 29, 17 at 08:01 PM
View all Cruises activity »
  1. 1 Trip Report YAHOO @ Password Reset Contact 1:888:482:3831 YAHOO Tec*h supp0rt care 24/7
  2. 2 Take it when you see it
  4. 4 Travel time needed from Basel to Zurich airport?
  5. 5 Choosing a first cruise
  6. 6 Rhine River or Mosel Cruise info
  7. 7 Almost serious :)
  8. 8 Did it! Booked!
  9. 9 Beaches from cruise
  10. 10 Would you live on a cruise ship year round?
  11. 11 Trip Report Antarctica Quark Expedition Travel Report
  12. 12 Scenic cruise advice
  13. 13 Time to Explore St Petersburg
  14. 14 Danube River Cruise - agent
  15. 15 Transfer from Fiumicino to Civitavecchia
  16. 16 Cabin choices
  17. 17 Help! RCCL AOS
  18. 18 Antarctica Cruise--Zegrahm or Lindblad and time to go
  19. 19 Parking for Celebrity
  20. 20 Costa Maya beach
  21. 21 Hotel -Miami before cruise
  22. 22 Trip Report UNIWORLD River Boat Cruise on the Danube, Budapest to Prague
  23. 23 Best Place to Purchase Cruises
  24. 24 National Geographic Quest
  25. 25 Azamara Journey New Zealand Tours Available
View next 25 » Back to the top

Trip Report Cunard Transatlantic and beyond

Jump to last reply

th wedding anniversary and it’s taken me the whole 50 years to convince David we need to do a transatlantic crossing. He is prone to seasickness and I had to convince him a huge ship is not like a fishing boat on the ocean. Flew into NYC a day early , up and out of the house by 4:30 AM to make a 7:30 plane. All the folks who usually drive us to the airport are out of town so decided to leave the car at Parking Spot. It is not mush more than 2 cab fares with a discount coupon. Zipped thru security thanks to the wheelchair, I could walk even with my bad legs but why bother and there is a deducted security line, Into JFK on time and grabbed a cab to take us to our hotel in Brooklyn. I chose it because it is convenient to the cruise terminal. It was not in a very interesting part of the city but was nice and the service was great. Walked around t find a place for lunch and then just hung out. Arranged to meet a friend from amour Paris Forum, Geordy , for dinner. She arrived at the hotel right on time. No place to talk in the lobby so grabbed a cab to try and fine some dinner. The hotel told me there were loads of restaurants a few blocks away, so I chose one and got the address. Found the number but it was a different place, went in anyway, Italian and very busy and noisy but the food and conversation were good. I so enjoyed meeting Geordie in person after chatting online for a few years. I wish I could make the BBAOPF GTGS!Up early , breakfast at hotel and repacked what I’d taken out. Got a cab and it knew where the terminal was. What a surprise first cabbie in NYC who knew where he was going! The pampering on Cunard starts as your cab pulls into the terminal. We were sent luggage tags in advance to fill out with our deck and stateroom info. A Cunard person unloads the cab and ushers your luggage thru security and leaves it at your door, So no waiting and no lugging cases. Showed our e tickets and passports went thru metal detector and were given a boarding card to wait for our number to be called out so the embarkation is orderly. Met at the top and shown how to find our stateroom and informed lunch is being served the King’s Galley. Suitcases by the door when we got to cabin and the cabin steward carried then in for us, showed us the days schedule and said we’d get the next days each evening, offered to open our welcome bottle of champagne but we passed on that for now. Unpacked a bit then headed to lunch and to check out the harbor and Statue of Liberty in the distance. You are assigned a dining room by the class you are traveling. But there are also several other options , the Kings galley and a terrace room. They open at 4:30 AM for breakfast so I guess that is where this early riser will be heading.

It was a beautiful day sunny and cool so after lunch took to the deck chairs and viewed NYC from the harbor as we set sail. The salt air and our early departure from home called for a nap before dinner. So settled into our very comfortable king sized bed until time to dress for dinner. This was a casual night so no ties but a jacket required in the dining rooms. Met our table mates, a lovely British couple , she Liz, a retired dental surgeon and Colin a retired security specialist from the Lake district and Nancy and Mary 2 retired widows who spend most of their time traveling the world. All excellent company. We were seated in the Britannia restaurant and served by 3 very kind gentlemen, Tomas, Alvin and Emmanuel. Your wine is not included but the wine list has some good reasonable choices and if you don’t finish the bottle it is set aside for the next evening. The food is varied and it was all excellent. Talked until it was time for the last sitting to arrive. This will be a very pleasant experience for the next 6 nights. Stopped into the King’s pub to listen to the pianist for a few minutes before a last stroll along the deck.

Up very early as usual for me so went for coffee and was surprised to find so many other early risers. The sea is calm today, you hardly feel any movement at all. When David got up we had breakfast in the Galley instead of going to our dining room. They don’t start breakfast there until 9:30 way too late for us. The choices on the buffet are amazing. Every kind if fresh fruit imaginable. hot and cold cereals, Scrambled eggs English and American bacon, corned beef hash. Grilled tomatoes, mushrooms, potatoes, they will also cook eggs to order and do pancakes and waffles if you want. Fresh baked pastries and croissants.

Still a lovely day so after some time in deck chairs went to the library. It is better stocked than some land libraries I’ve been in.Yiu can take books out for the duration of the cruise. I found a Stuart Woods mystery I hadn’t read so I was a happy camper There are comfortable chair with places to put your feet up overlooking the sea. A perfect place to while away some time. There are various lectures and entertainments throughout the day. Musicals and actors from RADAput on performances. More than enough to keep one busy. David did the tour of the bridge. I wanted to do the kitchens tour but got mixed up on the 4 time changes. I thought you were to put the clock ahead at bedtime not in the morning so I missed it. All the breads and pastries are baked fresh daily and the menus are very varied. One night we had lobster and David asked if it was just a tail. Alvin our main waiter said not to worry he would take good care of us. As the plates were served with 1 lobster tail each he appeared with seconds for all of us!! There are 2 formal nights when men wear a tux or a dark suit and ladies really dress up. I had=d forgotten one is called the Astor ball and ladies wear fancy hats. I was hatless.

We were invited to the Captain’s cocktail party along with everyone else. The champagne flowed freely.!!

Most evenings we went down to the Golden Lion pub for a before dinner drink and to listen to the pianist. Later in the evenings there were musical performances and a rather raunchy reading from the Canterbury Tales. All very well done.

The last day we decided to have afternoon tea. It too was excellent abut really unnecessary food wise as it was an hour before dinner!

Last night cases were put outside door and tagged for pick up when you disembark. I had booked the Cunard Shuttle bus to London before we left home. Glad I did as it was 39 dollars booked in advance and 89 dollars booked onboard. You wait to be called off the ship and collect your luggage and are directed to the bus going to Victoria. It was a pleasant 2 hour drive with a very nice driver who explained sights along the way. I would do it again in a heart beat!! I would prefer to skip the day we had heavy seas being just ahead of a low pressure front . Everyone looked like they were failing a sobriety test. David got a bit seasick. And the outside decks were closed only lasted 1 day though!!

Arrived in Southampton and baggage had been collected the night before so we disembark retrieve luggage and head to our precooked bus to London Victoria. Could not be easier. the British border patrol checks you out onboard, so no immigration or customs.

Arrived at Millennium Gloucester , one of our favorite London hotels and our room is ready! Purchased Club privileges which included internet access, breakfast, before dinner drinks and canapés and afternoon tea but passed on an upgrade to a club room. Really isn’t necessary as their regular rooms are quite large.

Headed out to the tube station across the street to put some money on our Oyster cards, then hit Boots for some ibuprofen with codeine and David wanted some Rennies, an antacid that he says is superior to any we can buy in the US. Went across the road to Paul to get our first taste of Paris , had baguettes mixte , the first of many. Just relaxed the rest of the afternoon and checked 7 DAYS MAIL. The internet on the ship was 75 cents a MINUTE!! And my computer is slow. It would have cost a fortune just to load. Dressed for dinner at our usual first night in London place, La Famiglia. Warmly greeted by all, the staff there has been with Alvaro for years and never changes. It being Sunday Alvaro was not there so we will return when we get back to London. The welcoming glass of prosecco was much appreciated. David had rare veal liver , said it was fantastic > I had a nice rare lamb steak . A short walk along the King’s Rd and we headed home.

Up early and down to a full English breakfast and back to room to pack up what we used. Arranged to leave the suitcase with formal wear at the concierge’s desk while we are in Paris as we will be returning to the Gloucester on the way home. The doorman got us a taxi and we are on the way to St Pancras or as David pointed out the Americans keep calling it St Pancreas, short wait until boarding Eurostar and our coach is right at the end of the escalator!! Found room for the larger cases with no problem and settled in for the 2 hour trip to Paris. Only got up once to get some juice. Arrived at the far end of the platform at Gare de Nord and hiked to the taxi stand , not much of a wait and we are headed off to La Familis hotel on Rue des Ecoles. Easy check in and they upgraded us to a larger room. Only here for 1 night so only took out toilet cases and headed off to Jussieu to load our Navigos and hit BNP parabis for more cash. Passed by a restaurant called Le Buisson Ardent that has been on my list for ages , didn’t realize it was so close to hotel so stopped in and made a reservation for that evening. Grabbed a quick lunch before heading back to hotel to get on with the rest of the day. First things first, As we got to Orlando airport I asked David where my cane was. he’d left it in the trunk when he unloaded the cases. Don’t need it for short walks but it does prop me up when My legs start killing me also have had a tricky knee lately and it flips out especially on stairs , so went across the street to the pharmacy and bought another one.. Hopped on a bus mainly just to ride around and check out the scene. Got off at Odeon , listened to the only bucker we would see for 2 weeks playing the tuba and very well too. Stopped and had a kir before heading back to hotel to clean up for dinner.

Put this place Le Buisson Ardent on your list. The food, chestnut soup, rabbit terrine Kidneys rascasse, and mille feuilette were really very good, all locals, and very pretty setting, old murals on the wall. Perfect place for Paris dinner. Prices not too bad either.

Up early and had the included breakfast, and got a cab to take us to the Marais and our apartment. We’ve stayed here before and love the location and the apt, even though it is a bit small. The place was ready for us with the welcome bottle of wine waiting. Unpacked a bit then headed across the street to the grocery store for some essentials, milk, comfiture , Chestnut for me rhubarb for David, coffee and butter. Had free tickets to a contemporary art exhibit at Bastille, so grabbed a bus across the street , arrived just in time for the rain showers to start. More misty than a downpour so donned rain hats and ignored umbrellas. It is mostly outside along both sides of the Seine. Not much into contem. Art but the gawking was good. Had lunch there sitting along side the river. Weather cool but not cold. Back to our hood as I wanted to walk down rue St Paul to find rue Charlemagne where Darcy had mentioned a new restaurant. David was wearing a Pittsburgh Steelers’ hat and we were surprised that several men yelled out here we go Pittsburgh , a Steelier fan’s song!! Never did find the restaurant but made note of a brocante being held this weekend at Village St Paul so added that to the list. Too some pics of the barges and chose the Marco polo for mine! Did I get Nancy’s?.

Wanted to see our friend Francois at the Danube so decided to go to Bistrot de Paris on Rue de Lille. Got the same waiter as last time, a Frenchman who was raised in Detroit and graduated from the Uni. Of Texas then headed back to France. Very few people in the place , he said it was a holy day and business is always slow then. I had the rack of lamb and a crème brulee. David went for foie gras and a salmon dish.

This trip we are finally going to make it to the Branley! The building is huge and architecraly very interesting. The gardens are a nice place to rest. The floors are big open galleries with small rooms opening off each side. You will be worn out if you try to cover the whole thing in 1 visit. The collections are fascinating. It always amazes me the intricacy of these native handcrafts with no modern tools. The weavings are something to really study. After a few hours we went to their café , were seated and given menus then ignored for 20 minutes while the waiters stood around talking to each other so we got up and left along with some other people!. Got on a bus going the wrong direction and ended up near the Tower so had lunch in that area before heading home. After a rest I was still tired and it was quite chilly out so went across the street to Le Bouquet St Paul. This is a nice neighborhood bistro with a very local clientele and quite good food. There are usually 3 special each evening in addition to the regular menu. We both chose the Osso Bucco as We really like it and I seldom cook it at home as veal is so darn expensive here. Lingered over our wine before heading back.

Time for our obligatory trip to Antiqaires de Louvre, at least for David! Rather chilly this morning !

Checked out the junk souvenir shops along rue de Rivoli for a cap for our little nephew , Cooper, with the tower on it. He asked for it specifically, start ‘em young!! Looked and talked for several hours among the treasures for sale her. I am into selling rather than buying lately. Headed back toward apt. in the early afternoon. Stopping at Le Chimeries for lunch. Georgy is right the waiters are so cute with their aprons and caps. One even mentioned David’s steeler hat and asked if we were from Pgh! What is it with burgers in Paris this year? I swear every bistro and café had them on the menus. David tried one and said it was one of the best he’d ever had. I went for a salad but wished I had joined him . It looked so darn good.

Back to apt. as I had to do some laundry. There is a washer dryer in apt but it takes too long and the clothes come out damp . There is a drying rack but it takes up too much of our limited space. The Laundromat next door is cheap and fast!

This afternoon the rains came again and it is cold so stayed in our ‘hood and went to Le Bouquet again. I had delicious lamb shanks braised in red wine sand David had dorade. He is on a fish kick! More to follow

  • Report Abuse

    Nov 30, 11 at 1:51pm

    Today is one of the main things we came at this time for, The Antiques Brocante at Bastille. We try to make this every year even though we seldom buy much. I think David comes for lunch from a particular stand!! Had free tickets and got in line for opening . We were pretty close to the front ,so made it in. Today is a nice day so no wandering along the Seine in the rain today. The indoor part of the show is the high priced spread. It is fun t look at and wish you could buy it. I love French 18th century furniture. And there were lots of good pieces to admire. The dealers are all friendly and like to chat up their wares……..Finally made it outside and the first thing D wanted was lunch! This man has a huge ham that they slice and serve on baguettes along with Sautéed vegetables. We chose onions and pepper . They are huge so we split one and had some wine along the banks of the Seine where they have tables set up. Now for the outdoor part, saw lots I would have bought but really don’t need and have no room to carry it home. Some neat posters and tinware , lots of silver bits but David reminded me I had just sold about 5 pounds of excess silver for scrap!! Spent almost all day here and saw lots of goodies.
    After we went back to clean up for dinner David decided to take a walk He went up rue Caron toward Pl st Catherine and turned left on a little street. He found a shop that specializes in Absinthe and accessories and posters He has been looking for a colorful poster to replace some Pictures in his bathroom that he didn’t care for and I sold. Found one he really liked so bought it. Now We have to find a tube to transport it! I must take a picture of it , it is cheerful and colorful and covers up the holes in the wall from taking the other pictures down!

    Headed to Ile Saint Louis for dinner. I had wanted to make a reservation at the place you’ve all been talking about with Madame but I forgot the name. So we headed to Le Caveau d’ Isle. D started with quickly sautéed foie gras and followed with some kind of fish, I think cod. I had not had a bavette steak yet and I do love that cut, served nice a really blue rare!. They served enough meat to feed 2 people. Hated to leave the rest behind but I did! Where do people get the idea servings are small in Paris? Followed with another crème brulee.

    How about a break for some pictures. We had to take the ones of Gizmo with us as David needs to say hello to him everyday!

    Saturday and I’m torn between Vanves and the Grand Palais . David over ruled me and we headed to the Grand Palais. And The Cezanne, Manet Picasso exhibit. I have 2 for 1 entry with our Eurostar tickets Worked out the route at the RATP site.

    So got on the bus and got off at the D’orsay as directed. Then could not find the next stop even though it looked like it should be right across the street. Poor David walked to the 3 nearest stops while I leaned on the bridge around the Seine. There was NO line at the D’orsay and we haven’t been since the renovations and I did have an interest in the Wilde exhibit ao went there instead. The new areas are lovely and bright. The Exhibit was most interesting showing how styles changed and worth a visit. Spent 1 a few hours there and then headed up to Le Fregate for lunch. I do like this place .food and service good and very pleasant looking out along the Quai. Bus back home is right outside the door so headed back. Will try the Palais another day. Saw a street market by St Gervais bus stop so of course stopped. We wanted to see Francois. So left early and stopped in Le Petit St Benoit on rue St Benoit had a lovely dinner here as usual. Bass and Bream profiteroles’ and tart tatin then headed to the Danube.Francois is in and .Many bisous exchanged and spent a good hour chatting away. Tired so had him call a cab , next time we will flag one down. It was almost 10 Euro when we entered the cab. Could have walked to the rank on St Germin or taken a bus right to our door. Oh well it is vacation!

    Sunday means Richard Lenoir market, Lots of goodies to see and eat. Stopped at my regular salt man for some fleur de sel. I told him I had forgotten it last trip and he hadn’t been there on Thus when we stopped briefly at the market. I told him I call him my salt man and he said he is Le roi de Sel! Picked up a big basket of figs and some proscuitto to enjoy later with some wine on the terrace if it is warm tonight. Stopped at the Village St Paul brocante but it was most uninteresting . I’ve never been that impressed with the sips at Village St Paul.

    I wanted//needed to go to Cite Pharmacie so we set off for St Germain. Dumb Jody forgot she was in France and all pharmacies are not open on Sundays. Oh well another day ! David is hungry so we stopped in at Del Papa and shared a pizza and some wine. Before heading home.
    Decided to stay close to home for dinner so checked out the places on Sq St Catherine right around the corner from us. It was full of screeching kids running around and lots of motorcycles which I could hear roaring away as we at so headed to our hangout Le Bouquet St Paul. .I had a beef dish and David Salmon. Shared a cheese plate instead of a sweet. Delicious

    Mon day and we will get to the Grand Palais. .Broke down and took the metro , it is right across the street from us and takes you right to the door on the museum. Arrived a bit early and the lines are quite small ..what a change from last time! Got the 2 for 1 deal as expected and set off to see. The show is huge and it was a bit crowded but very beautiful . There was also a room of Cezannes that belonged to another collector in addition to the Steins. What a life those Steins must have led in Paris !! One thing that utterly amazes me is people that go to an exhibit and stand directly in front of a masterpiece . Blocking others from seeing and the are on the phone or texting. I first thought they were taking forbidden pictures before I realized what exactly they were up to!. After several hours there David wanted lunch and fast! Turned left as I could see a lot of cafes on the adjoining street, I think it is Blvd Franklin Roosevelt, and stopped in the first place we came too. We both had omelets mixte . I have been craving eggs this trip. I think it was call=ed Café Francaise. Also noticed a part of the Grand Palais We’ve managed to miss before. Musee de la Decouverte Next time!!
    Walked to a bus near the Petit Palais and headed to St Germain . I have to get my hand cram today >I am flaking away in the wind. Bought 6 tubes and some voltaren gel , hope that holds me until the next trip or I’ll be asking someone to pick some up and send it to me. I’ve not seen it at home or in London and it is the BEST!

    Back to apt to change for dinner and relax a bit before heading off to Chez Fernand . We really like this place and get there every trip. I do miss the Hugh Grant look-alike waiter since he left. Would love to know where he and Nono went! I had beef bourg and David kidneys,

    David expressed a desire to go back to the Musee de la Chasse et Nature, And I wanted a chance to look at Rue de Archives and they can be accomplished together. Spent a bit of time in the musee. There was a new installation in the courtyard. Glass flowers, lots of blown glass sculpture in the museum, something new.

    He kept looking and I walked along the avenue. I should have looked up KOKo’s address at the apt. As I had no idea where I was going. Never did find it, oh well next time wanted to go to the silvers smith too but also forgot that address. Rejoined David and looked for a place for lunch. There was a nice café nearby, Café Marais and I got a French Burger after seeing the one the man next to me had! It was super delish!! Walked around that area a bit more then headed for home. I have a bit more laundry to dote hold us until we leave for home. Back to Del Papa for dinner. Saltimbocca for me and a fish dish for David. Really quite good. I was disappointed they no longer have the roasted squid salad as a starter though.

    Felt like sitting in a garden today so headed to the Rodin. Getting off the bus I wasn;t sure which way to head so David said he’d walk up the street a bit and I could wait in the little square near the bus stop. Saw something that looked huge moving thru the bushes turned out to be a really well cared for cat who was very friendly. He especially liked David . I’m sure he was someone’s pet. I hope he was just on the prowl and not lost. He had the longest legs I’ve ever seen on a cat! Can’t read my own writing so don’t remember just where we had dinner. I had a veal dish with a citrus sauce and David Lieu with a pepper sauce. I’ll have to rack my brain to remember because it was very good.
    Last day and we headed to the Isles . No lines at Notre Dame so went in for a refresher look. Last few trips the lines have been horrendous. They were playing choir music which made it seem more church like with all the tourists milling about. Bought a holy medal for a friend and headed out. Stopped and peeked in at the Hotel Dieu courtyard on the way to St Louis. No buskers on the bridge . It is being repaved. But did see some men fishing in the Seine. Stopped in quite q few shops and chatted a lot to various antique dealers, lunch in a nearby café and then more walking. David did peek into the fishing store he likes near Pont Sully and caught the bus back to tidy apt and pack. for London tomorrow.
    Wanted to go the Les Bar des Huitres again so headed toward St Germain and Blvd St Michel. We had an excellent dinner here last trip . Not at all crowded when we arrived but it took the guy forever to acknowledge and seat us. He placed us near a window which was nice but the table was jammed right up next to the next one and this is not a small space . There could be room to avoid this. David was mashed in. Then he presented menus. They were kindles or I pads and not at all a good way to chose your entrée and plat. We both like to look what is available and what it will compliment. David especially could not stand it so we left and walked up to Vagem=nade where we had the evening special..liver for D and fish for me. He should have had his oysters at the market like I told him! Off to bed a bit early as I want to get this place in order and still have a last breakfast in Paris. Paul across the street opens at 7 but Miss Manon a few doors down is ready to go at 6:30 so I’ve mostly been going there for croissants and paid au chocolate. I’ll miss them both.
    There is a taxi stand right up from apt. so we headed that way but just as we stepped out of apt. an empty cab stopped for the red light so we hopped in and headed to Gare du Nord a bit early but there are shops and coffee there. Train boarded right on time and were are off!!

    2 hours later we are pulling into St Pancras and in a taxi headed back to the Gloucester. Room ready again so I purchased the club privileges and retrieved my suitcase/Went up to King’s Rd to have a look and lunch at Partridges. Lots of food goodies but I have not got room! Had a walk around the road admiring shop windows that were already set for Christmas. Back to hotel for some canapés and wine and then set off for Venosi. This is a lovely restaurant we discovered on our last trip, I was stunned to see it had closed down. They weren’t doing a whle lot of businessd when we were there in the spring in spite of excellent reviews. Guess it was too far off the beaten path . A real los to the London restaurant scene. So jumped back on the bus and went to Brasserie Gerard on Kensington High Street. Always good choices on the menu for such a small place. David had fish again and I chose lamb. Both very good. Back to bed for another eary night.
    Saturday we had tickets for the Da Vinci exhibit at the National Gallery. Glad I bought them online ahead of time. The line to buy tickets was unbelievable It had to be doubled back on itself it had stretched out so long. The exhibit was heavy into religious subjects. I have trouble with all the symbolism and get Madonnaed out. It was interesting to see the painting picked up at a garage sale for 35 dollars and found to be worth 35 million, Hoped to get out in time to see Driving Miss Daisy with Vanessa Redgrave and James Earl Jones but it was sold out when we got there. Better plan ahead next trip. Hope it is still running in the spring. So just hung out around Trafalgar , had some lunch at museum and stopped at the V&A on our way back to hotel. Went to Carluccio’s for dinner. Their food is so good but the noise level is deafening. David wanted their venison tortellini and I had a veal dish.

    Sunday morning there is an antiques fair at the Royal Horticultural Hall so hopped a bus and got there just at opening time. Immediately saw a painting we both liked, turned out to be by an American artist and had already been sold. Looked for some jewelry for my niece’s Christmas present but didn’t see anything that grabbed me. David did find an Old Sheffield Plated covered half pint mug that he just had to have. So we did end up with a purchase. WALKED ALONG THE Thames for a bit before heading back to South Kensington. Dinner this evening at Café Montepeliaano. I had their pasta with mushroom gorgonzola sauce. I am trying to perfect the recipe at home. David Had some kind of pasta but I forgot to write it down.

    What is London without a trip to the Imperial War Museum? I wouldn’t know because we always end up there. My little doorman who always recognized me from our many visits has retired and I miss him. He was always good for a joke and stories about the noisy school groups he admits. Had to have their Mac and Cheese for lunch! I had wanted to go to the Olympia Winter Antique Show but the tickets were 30 GBP a piece for this first day. Way more than I was prepared to spend just to look! Back to hotel to pack for tomorrow’s departure . Dinner tonight at La Famiglia. Alvaro is there tonight and sat and talked for d. some time. I had wanted to hear about his trip to NYC to celebrate his cousin’s 50th anniversary. I had also been carrying around a NYX article on his cousin’s restaurant, La Cirque, that I wanted to give him. I told him I had tried the recipes and his were better . For that we were rewarded with some vin santo after dinner. David had the liver again as it was so good the 1st time and I had Spiedini, a skewer with wild boar sausage, chicken , bread and fresh basil leaves grilled. I love the combination. Grabbed a taxi. I used to find London cabs easy to get in and out of but with the trick knee it has become harder. Fell flat on my butt trying to get out this time. Fortunately I was still in the cab so didn’t disgrace myself or get hurt except my dignity!

    Had the shuttle ordered for 8 AM. I had made a bad mix-up when I booked it from Paris. I told them Nov 11th, which was the day we were leaving Paris not London. They were right on time on the 11th and we didn’t show up. When they checked at the desk they were told we were checking In later that day/ There was an email waiting when I got on the computer one call got it all straightened out and they only charged me the 10 GBP waiting fee. That’s more than fair. Traffic to Gatwick was very heavy I was glad I had left plenty of time. The gate was miles away from check in so I was glad for the cart ride. The driver looked about 110 years old! BA was on time but the flight was packed , I felt like I was wedged into the seat and was getting claustrophobic by the last 2 hours. Head rest was broken so no sleep either.

    Orlando looked good. I think it is a disgrace they charge 4 dollars for a luggage cart. What a way to treat the tourists our town depends on. OI refuse to pay it, I would rather give 5 dollars to a porter. No problem with customs or immigration so were in the shuttle to the parking lot quickly, traffic not bad and the cat was so glad to see us! The boy next door loves him and took very good care of him. Next trip comes in March!!

  • Report Abuse

    Nice report thanks good Cunard experience many moons ago.
    Food was really the only negative hearty Brit fare mostly
    beef got old after a couple of weeks.Sound like it has gotten
    lots better.

  • Report Abuse

    Make it a definite Laura. We like the one on King;s Rd at the Duke of York Square. Go on a Sat there is also and outdoor market at the same time with lots of vendors. They do a very nice lunch and in the warmer weather they have an outdoor teralce at the back as well as the front. There is another of Gloucester Rd, but the King's Rd is the best

  • Report Abuse

    qovadis a sampling of the menus from the QM2


    Shrimp Thermidor with wild mushrooms in walnut brioche
    Scallops.salmon ousse with caviar, and tartare of salmon
    Butter poached Pheasant Breast , Sauternes jeyyt and blackberrry chutney

    Roasted pumpkin soup with roasted pumpkin seeds


    Roasted Strip Loin, yorkshire pudding, glazed root vegetables

    Peking marinated Barbarie uck breast, sweet soy and plum sauce

    Fresh macedamia encrusted Mahi mahi, wok fried vegetables coconu and lime reduction

    Pan seared pork scallopini creamed Savoy cabbage, Macaire potato, cider and musteard sauce


    strawberry and Caramel cheesecake
    orange crene brulee

    dte walnut and white chocolate bread pudding caramel sauce

    BVutterscotch pie Toffee Sauce

    also every night there was a selection of cheeses offered!

  • Comment has been removed by Fodor's moderators

7 Replies |Back to top

Sign in to comment.