Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Cruising while pregnant (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/cruising-while-pregnant-415008/)

shelbyl1 Mar 24th, 2004 05:31 PM

Cruising while pregnant

Hoping to find some info about the comforts of cruising pregnant- I have never been on a cruise but we are planning to take a Mexican Riveria cruise during my pregnancy. Any experiences you can offer? Good/Bad?

Cruiser Mar 24th, 2004 06:12 PM

The first thing you need to determine is how far along you will be when you sail. Cruise Lines have restrictions on # of weeks into the pregnacy. I don't have the info in front of me right now. Do you know the answer or even the cruise line yet?

Let's deal with restrictions before we get your hopes up, and then discuss comforts while cruising. :-)

HappyLC Mar 25th, 2004 02:56 AM

I was 5 1/2 months pregnant (and large) on our very first cruise. I didn't find anything very different. I brought along a note from my doctor saying it was all right to cruise (and participate in the exercise classes), but no one ever asked me for it.

In Mexico I wouldn't have any food or drink on shore, just to be safe, while pregnant.

shelbyl1 Mar 25th, 2004 04:46 AM

I will be five months pregnant- I know cruise lines won't allow you to cruise over 7 months. I want to make sure that I am not going to feel sick the whole cruise! Not sure if you can take medicine to help we sea-sickness while pregnant- I need to find out!
Any other positive experiences?!

HappyLC Mar 25th, 2004 05:49 AM

Shelby - are you prone to motion sickness or having a particularly bad time with this pregnancy? If not, I wouldn't worry. The vast majority of people never feel any queasiness on modern cruise ships. My children are a little susceptible to motion (in cars), but have never had any problem on a ship. I'd skip any medicine, but your doctor may have other advice.

I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time! (Skip the hot tub though!)

linda8 Apr 15th, 2004 02:12 PM

Shelby,
Keep in mind that if you catch a bacteria or something in Mexico, it could be tragic. I can't imagine their hospitals would be as good as ours, in those small towns, if you went into early labor or something like that.
I don't mean to burst your bubble (oh, that sounded funny!), but I went cruising at 6 mos. pregnant 14 years ago to the Caribbean. I realize now that it was quite a risk. The medical care if something had happened would not be at its best.

gail Apr 16th, 2004 03:57 AM

Whatever you decide, make sure you buy cancellation insurance that will cover a pregnancy (as it will be a pre-existing condition). Each pregnancy is obviously very different and the vast majority are uneventful. But in the event you have some pregnancy issue between time you book and time you go, you probably don't want to spend all that money and not go.

I traveled in second trimester with both my pregnancies without any issues - as can most women. Just be careful about food/water and make sure you can cancel if necessary.