Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Cruising to Burmuda (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/cruising-to-burmuda-40968/)

judy Mar 26th, 1999 09:13 AM

Cruising to Burmuda

We are thinking about cruising to Bermuda from New York in June and were wondering how rough the seas are. Is sea sickness more likely than in the Carribean? I noticed that the boats are smaller that go to Bermuda so I am a little worried about heading out into the Atlantic Ocean. We are considering RCCL or Celebrity. Thanks for your help. <BR> <BR>Judy

Parrot Mom Mar 28th, 1999 10:15 AM

We are cruising from Boston to Bermuda (for the 5th time) the end of May, first week in June...The ship we are going on now is going to hold almost 1300--I've discovered that ginger tablets work great. If you do get sick at the phamacy in Bermuda there is a tablet which I've been taken which has no side effects...

Noreen Apr 12th, 1999 06:13 PM

We cruised to Bermuda from Baltimore in May of 98. The waters were relatively calm for the most part but there was one day with some waves. I don't recall any one in our group getting sick however. We sailed on Celebrity's Horizon. It was not my favorite ship. Nothing wrong with it-just not my favorite. The weather that week was not great for going to the Beach. A bit too cold and windy. But Bermuda was very pretty. We have also sailed to the Carribean and I think the odds on getting seasick going to Bermuda or the Caribbean are about the same. I think the weather has a lot to do with it, regardless of where you sail. Winds makes waves; nothing we can do about that. I always go with an "I won't get sick attitude." I do not wear patches, or take pills, but I have heard that Ginger is supposed to work. Someone once told me if the sea gets rough drink coke, eat crackers and stay in open places (not in the confines of your cabin). So far, after 9 cruises I've not gotten sick. Hope that holds true!! Enjoy your trip.

Dolores Apr 14th, 1999 06:23 AM

Hi. We have cruised to Bermuda from NY on the Horizon and the NCL Dreamward. Both we lots of fun, the food on Horizon was much better. I think RCCL has the Nordic Empress doing Bermuda this year. On the Dreamward we had a balcony that we used a lot since you spend a few days docked in Bermuda. Nordic Empress has balconies. As to seasickness - the Atlantic can be rough. Suggest the ginger pills. I start taking them a week before and then during the cruise. Nothing has worked better for me. Just think smooth sailing and have a great time. <BR>

Parrot Mom Apr 15th, 1999 04:52 AM

Hi-as somebody who ALWAYS got seasick I finally discovered ginger tablets and take them as I get onboard.....and as suggested by a M.D. I bought in the pharmacy in Bermuda Sturgeron which is sold over the counter for about $5.00--no side effects (only available in Bermuda)-it works like a charm...Ifeel like a veteran sailor..Just read of the Princess now doing Bermuda, the itinerary sounds great,St. George, Hamilton and the West End...sounds ideal--it[s from New York... we leave from Boston on the Norweigan Majesty and this will be our 5th trip