Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page > Cruising the Greek Islands on a small boat - private charter.

Cruising the Greek Islands on a small boat - private charter.

Apr 27th, 2009, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

Cruising the Greek Islands on a small boat - private charter.

I have a group of about 10 that would be interested in cruising the Greek Islands for about 7 days. We don't want to do a large cruise ship, and a cruise on a smaller line such as Wind Star would not fit everyones budget. I'm thinking perhaps we can charter our own boat (with staff), but have no clue where to begin. Has anyone done this? Does anyone have any suggestions for researching such a trip? We would not do this until late Spring/Summer of 2010. I've posted on the Europe/Greece forum as well. Thank you, Matt
Apr 27th, 2009, 06:29 AM
lvk

www.themoorings.com
Apr 27th, 2009, 07:07 AM

You do have several options, but if a Windstar cruise won't fit everyone's budget, I'm afraid you won't do any better on a charter. It's still going to be at least $2,500 to $3,000 per person, though this would include food.
Apr 28th, 2009, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Doug.

Another poster shared this link with me:
http://www.gapadventures.com/
Sounds interesting and very affordable. I'll have to research.
Apr 28th, 2009, 08:30 AM

Intrepid Travel also has some trips to Greece. They are comparable in price to Gap Adventures and sometimes offer a bit more comfort. They do have a one-week trip that includes a few big islands.

I also forgot to mention easycruise. They have a great cheap cruise that goes to several less-visited islands in Greece and Turkey. The cabins are pretty basic, but the cruise is organized so you can eat onshore for most meals, and the ship usually stays late in each port, so you get a full day and evening.
Apr 28th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Doug. I'll check out Intrepid. Regarding easycruise, that's an interesting idea and I took another look at their website. Boy, I think I'd have to bow out and let my budget minded friends conquer that on their own. Then I'll go on a Wind Star : )
Apr 29th, 2009, 05:51 AM

I think you might be surprised about easycruise. A colleague here at work went on their cruise the first season on the French and Italian rivieras and booked one of the higher-priced cabins. He loved it. Loved being able to get off the ship to eat, loved the crowd, and enjoyed the fact that it wasn't a traditional cruise. And they have overhauled the ships since then, even gotten a new one.
Apr 29th, 2009, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Then I need to look into this more seriously as I'm now intrigued.

Search this Thread