Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Cruising in a Hurricane?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/cruising-in-a-hurricane-190971/)

peter Apr 3rd, 2002 08:05 AM

Cruising in a Hurricane??

We're booked for Grand Princess end of Sept. If there is a storm, will we cruise?? How does that work?? Thank you

xxx Apr 3rd, 2002 08:27 AM

The cruise usually won't be cancelled. They just change their itinerary to avoid the storm, so you could end up at ports you don't expect. I've also heard where people just ended up cruising the ocean for their entire trip. :(

Paul Therault Apr 3rd, 2002 10:59 PM

That is extremely unusual. All cruise lines have contingency plans.<BR>Even if the pier is full they will tender the passengers to shore.<BR><BR>Paul

Toto Apr 4th, 2002 05:01 AM

Now I have to dispute the last postings. Not all cruise lines/ships avoid the storms at all cost.<BR>Last November we sailed on Celebrities Millennium just as Hurricane Michelle was heading into that area. We thought that the ship would sail a different route around the storm, but we sailed within 100 miles of it and it was UNREAL. Never have I heard the announcement on a ship "Stay in your cabins and do not move around the ship unless absolutely necessary, it is not safe" But I heard it on this sailing. We were in an aft cabin and were thrown around like rag dolls. We were shocked that the ship just continued through rockin and rollin like we have never seen before.<BR>We have sailed at that time before when a storm was close, but the captain had always changed the route to avoid it, but not on this sailing he didn't.<BR>I guess you haven't actually gained your sea legs until you can say that you have sailed in a hurricane.<BR>We hope it is the first and the last time that we ever sail that close to a Hurricane. But that is the chance that you take in Hurricane season I think.<BR>Toto

Cathy Apr 4th, 2002 05:49 AM

As someone who lives on the Gulf Coast and have been through several hurricanes and tropical storms (including Andrew, 1992), you have to realize that hurricanes are HUGE storm systems. Even if the captain sails around, you may get some effects. <BR><BR>With the Millineum case above, sounds like the Captain had no choice but to take the most direct route. Toto, were you on your way home? Makes sense to get people to port, hopefully catch planes, etc.<BR><BR>I remember my friends and I were cruising the Voyager last June when Tropical Storm Allison hit the Texas coast. We had perfect weather and perfect seas until we were heading back to Miami and were crossing at the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico. Although the storm was hundreds of miles away, we had rough seas.<BR><BR>I took a second cruise on the Destiny last summer in late July and noticed the seas overall were alot rougher and we had several brief rain showers.<BR><BR>Whenever you sail in August, September, or October, you are running the risk of bad, really bad weather. Even if you don't have a hurricane, you will have more thunderstorms, tropical waves, tropical depressions and just a greater risk of having rain during your tropical vacation. I have stopped traveling to the tropics in August. <BR><BR>In the future, you may want to wait until May to book your September Cruise. The Hurricane Center in Miami usually makes a prediction for the upcoming season then, and for the last two years, they have predicted a fairly active one. They have been fairly accurate in their predictions.<BR><BR>Hurrican Season runs from June 1 to November 30 but it is usually not until August - October that the wind conditions and the sea temperature become optimal for big hurricane development.

Cathy Apr 4th, 2002 05:57 AM

A couple more comments:<BR><BR>1) Of course Peter, you could get lucky and have good weather. It happens. What has happened to me the last time I traveled in August, we had more rainy days, but also had sun shine.<BR><BR>2) Paul I don't think they would tender folks ashore during the threat of a hurricane. I have been on cruises where they didn't tender people ashore on a beautiful sunny day with choppy seas. Riding in a tender boat with 3-5 foot seas can be a stomach churning adventure!

peter Apr 4th, 2002 06:25 AM

I wish we could cruise at a different time but it is my wife's 50ieth and she wanted to be at sea. We'll just keep everything crossed. Thanks to all.

Toto Apr 4th, 2002 06:56 AM

Sorry to say Cathy that we hit the storm within hours of the ship sailing from Fort Lauderdale which means the 'very first night'. What a way to start a cruise.<BR>I will tell you that we have sailed over 8 cruises that time of year in the Caribbean and that was the very first time that we have ever hit a storm like that so we fell very fortunate.<BR>It is the luck of the draw for that time of year and you take your chances. It is best to take a seasick remedy just in case this should happen, meds are a total life saver.<BR>Toto

Paul Therault Apr 4th, 2002 10:07 PM

Sounds like the captain made a very poor decision. Unless he received the incorrect information from the storm trackers. 100 miles is too close. No captain in his right mind would sail that close to a hurricane.<BR><BR>Paul