Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Cruising eastern Caribbean in September - how risky?

Mar 23rd, 2001, 07:57 AM
jeff

We are planning our vacataion for this year and are hoping to do an eastern caribbean cruise. As we are traveling with ildren we prefer not to go in the summer months when boats are overun with kids. For us and our jobs its too late to plan for May and because June July and August are out, we are looking at september and specifically leaving September 16. Want to know how risky this is as we are not sure of the exact "hurricane season" though we know it is somewhere around that time. In '99, we did Jamaica the 2nd week of October and had great weather EVERY day. We did Cancun/Cozumel last week of September in 2000 and had 2 stormy days. I have always thought a cruise is not as risky as they can sail around storms but maybe thats not the case. also i known the Eastern Caribbean is more prone than the west. (We will be going to St. Martin, St. Thomas, and the Bahamas)

Mar 23rd, 2001, 07:59 AM
jeff

Sorry I am a terrible typist! I meant traveling WITHOUT children.

Mar 23rd, 2001, 09:20 PM
maggie

First..why is it too late to plan for May? I booked our cruise in late Feb back in the middle of December (on a whim) We got a really nice balcony room on the Lido Deck of the Grand Princess and sailed out the 25th of Feb. The only REAL problem you would have would be with the airlines.

There were storm systems miles away that affected the water during our cruise, so while the captain may be able to sail around a storm, he can't avoid the height of the waves.

I, personally, would not want to be on the ocean during hurricane season. There is a reason cruise lines lower their prices dramatically during these seasons and I believe that to be one of them. Hurricane season runs from May through late November, so it's a pretty long season.

If you have to go in September, just go...you never know what the weather is going to be like in any season these days

Mar 25th, 2001, 08:59 AM
Suzanne

I was a travel agent 1978-1996 was a running joke that if its Sept 12 there is a hurricane in the caribbean.You have a better than 50%chance.

Mar 25th, 2001, 06:17 PM
Keli

Jeff,
We always cruise in September and October! We were also worried about hurricane's in fact Hirricane George hit our pier 45 minutes after we left San Juan 2 years ago. But we never felt any bit of discomfort due to the hurricane. The ship sailed around it and due to the weather we even got to spend the night in Barbados! We have found that this is the perfect time of the year to sail, prices are lower and less children on ship at this time of the year. We are not against sailing with the kids (we have 3) but when it is just us we prefer to go when there are fewer traveling! Have fun!

Mar 26th, 2001, 05:08 AM
Tanya

I have sailed before in March and the seas were so rough you would have sworn we were in a Hurricane. Didn't have to move on the dancefloor, the boat did it for you!

I don't sail during September but we do visit Bermuda during this month. We have been lucky to miss hurricanes but it is a chance you risk travelling during that season. Since our weather navigation is so advanced, ships may cancel ports of call if the waters get too rough. I wouldn't stay away from booking during this time.

Mar 26th, 2001, 05:13 AM
jeff

To Maggie- I understand traveling last minute and booking a month in advance usually gets the best deals. The reason however trveling in May is out is because my wife is a trial attorney and she is already booked almost every day through middle of july with trials or court hearings, there is no way she could rearrange her schedule on that short of notice to swing more than 2 days in a row off. Thus we are stuck until the end of summer. Would we be better off if we switched to the middle of October rather than the middle of september. since the hurricane season is almost over by that time?

Apr 2nd, 2001, 12:28 AM
Paul Therault

Hi Jeff,

Do not worry about sailing during a hurricane. The ship will not.

If there is a hurricane in Florida when the ship is to leave, it will not. You will be put up in a hotel or you stay home and go the following day.

If the hurricane is in the Eastern Caribbean the ship will sail the Western and vise-versa.

If the hurricane is in Florida when you are due to return you will stay an extra day on ship and arrive in Florida the next day.

The water is extremely calm after a hurrican passes.

The reason cruises are so reasonable during Sept. - Nov. is because of the above.

Chances are slim you will experience a hurricane when you leave or when you return.

My experience is September is the best month for the least amount of hurricanes.

Don't worry so much .... just go.

Paul

Apr 16th, 2001, 08:05 AM
Andrea

Personally I would stay away from the Carribbean -East or West for SEPT and OCT as these are prime hurricaine monthes--also stay clear of Cancun and Cozumel for these same reason--however- i have been to Bermuda 3 times--all in Sept and Oct---and never had BAD weather. If huricaine is out there-you usually have only 1 bad day of weather. When I was talking about Bermuda-I meant as a trip to the island--NOT a cruise--cruising to Bermuda is the rockiest cruising ever-esp.during hurricaine season

Apr 16th, 2001, 03:58 PM
Ron

Re/ weather in Carb. in Sept/Oct.
As Paul said, just go. Who can predict the weather that far out anyway.We have been on several cruises in the Carb. that time of the year.Once we had to change course and miss an island, but was no big deal. They will not run a ship into a hurricane. The thing I worried about the most was the airport in San Juan being torn up and unable to get home for a few days, but we have never had a problem.
The ships normally do a good job of keeping you posted if there is bad weather,if they have to alter course,etc.
Besides,a little added adventure is always good for you.Go, have fun and relax.

Apr 26th, 2001, 04:56 PM
doug

We cruised the Eastern Caribbean in Oct 99. Rode the tail of a weak hurricane for awhile, which was actually quite interesting. I wouldn't worry from a safety point of view. There is definitely more rocking of the ship, and at times too windy to be on deck. But the biggest problem is that this isn't just the hurricane season, it's also the rainy season. Most days in port it rained buckets. I wouldn't choose this time of year because of the rain. On the other hand, It's the only time I've been on a cruise, so maybe the rest of the year is just as rainy.

Apr 27th, 2001, 11:23 AM
Gina

Jeff,

I went on a cruise in October. We had no problems and there was a hurricane that hit Miami right before we left. We still left as scheduled, but my travel agent told us that if it was bad in Miami, we could sail out of Tampa instead. They keep the ships out away from the pier if a storm hits, and they are quite prepared for this type of weather. If I were you, I'd wait until October just to make yourself feel better, but it doesn't really matter. Don't worry and have fun.