Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Cruiser who had terrible people assigned to my table at dinner (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/cruiser-who-had-terrible-people-assigned-to-my-table-at-dinner-273203/)

Ted Nov 14th, 2002 10:57 AM

Cruiser who had terrible people assigned to my table at dinner

My wife and I were looking so forward to our 10 day cruise to the Panama Canal. It was great until we sat down with our assigned table mates for dinner. These were terrible people! Everyone took a instant disliking to each other and what conversation there was, was tense, difficult and heated.<BR><BR>Just being with these people was like torture. The air was thick with tension. Long silences were common. Small talk when it did happen, usually resulted in rolling eyes and 2 word answers.<BR><BR>It was not just my wife and I, everyone seemed to dislike everyone at the table. By the forth day I noticed that some of my fellow table mates were not showing up and were eating in their rooms. By the fifth night, we decided that we had enough, and went with room service for the rest of the dinners on the cruise and were not able to enjoy as high a quality food.<BR><BR>The cruise line would not allow us to change tables when we asked!<BR><BR>Anyone else have a terrible time sitting with tablemates at dinner that you just did not like?<BR><BR>I know, some of you will say I was the one with the terrible personality!

Jason Nov 14th, 2002 11:05 AM

Ted<BR>Sorry to read your bad luck.Plz share with us the cruise line.I for one wud steer away from them.I had one experience with Carnival.We were seated at a large table and we appeared to be in a large group of singles our age(mid-20's).The Group Leader asked us (2) if we would mind changing tables.Extremely gracious.Right behind her was the MaitreDe also exceptionally professional and kind.We had no prob since we knew no one else.The table we shifted to was a few &quot;stragglers&quot; of the group.But not at all talktative.When we got back to the cabin later on, there was a huge fruit basket and bottle of champagne from the &quot;Leader&quot; thanking us.We never let on that our new table was &quot;quiet&quot;.Another cruise I landed at a large table with 6 travel agents.I had to listen to a week's worth of how nice it was for them to be able to cruise &quot;free&quot;.I guess the 3 grand I paid contributed to their merriment!Not exactly the same as your woes.<BR>Jason

Leslie Nov 14th, 2002 11:06 AM

I refuse to go on a cruise line with assigned seating at dinner time. Many cruise ships have moved to an open seating system where you sit with different people each night.<BR><BR>Sitting with the same boring people every night for 10 days must have been hell! It is like having to go on a blind date ten nights in a row with the same person you decided that you did not like the first night!

Nan Nov 14th, 2002 11:09 AM

The worst is sitting at a table for 4 (with another couple you just do not click with but being to shy to ask for a change because it may hurt their feelings.<BR><BR>I think it is easier to ignore the other people at a large table.

Larry Nov 14th, 2002 12:54 PM

The system with everyone sitting at the same assigned seat everyday is from an era where anyone who had enough money to cruise would have great manners and social skills. Now day anyone who makes a little more than mimimum wage can go on a cruise. The quality of social skills of some people on the cruise is shockingly poor.

natalie Nov 14th, 2002 01:44 PM

Did a cruise once same thing happened. It's hard to make small talk with people you don't always have much in common with. We had the same awkward silences. I can't enjoy the food if the company isn't very good, we pretty much like to keep to ourselves anyways. During the rest of our trip we didn't take part in the group dinners. We will be traveing again in Feb. luckily this ship has 13 restaurants and will probably spend the cruise dining on our own.<BR> P.S. If someone rolled their eyes at me I wouldn't try to talk to them anymore =) Sorry you had a yukky experience, best of luck next time!

LL Nov 14th, 2002 02:01 PM

Great reason to avoid cruising. I'm no expert on cruises having only gone on one (and one was enough to let us know it was not our kind of vacation) but paying money to sit with people who you dislike (or who dislike you) is not my idea of getting value for your money. From what I've read on this forum, and others, there seems to be a lot of disatisfaction with cruises in general. Incidentally, we had a table for two when we took our cruise and that was great-there are plenty of other occasions to talk to people on board if you want to. Consider the fact that you would most likely balk at going to a restaurant and being seated with complete strangers. That's what a cruise dining room looked like to us.

timetocomeoutofthestoneages Nov 14th, 2002 02:13 PM

Larry, just because someone makes a &quot;little more than minimum wage&quot; does not make them mannerless. I find people that think they're better than everyone else very poor companions of any kind.

Carrie Nov 14th, 2002 02:16 PM

Weve met some great people at our dining tables. We always go for the large tables. When we werent comfortable we changed with no problems. Only problem we had was sitting with a group of 6 where one couple was late to dinner every night and they upset the waiter soo much that it was unpleasant. Also at one midnight buffet when we just wanted to grab some dessert have a quite moment and go to bed, the waiter led us to a large table with a group of drunken New Yorkers who proceeded to use us as entertainment for thier group!

Merriem Nov 15th, 2002 05:38 AM

Our last cruise on the Cunard Caronia was the worst one we have ever been on. This ship caters to the very elderly British market. We always get a large table, and that way if someone is a miserable tablemate, you have others to enjoy. We have made so many good friends that I was surprised at the way they are on this ship.<BR><BR>First of all, you have to eat at the same table for all three meals. Even if it is just you and your spouse and you want to go sit with friends at another table, you cannot move. Well, that in itself is reason enough not to sail on a ship that does this. <BR><BR>We were &quot;blessed&quot; with a British widow and her daughter. The mother told me I was a &quot;miserable wife&quot; when my husbnad mentioned that he had done HIS own laundry on board. Then we had a really nasty Bristish widow that complained about the food all of the time and I think she wore the same dress everyday. One of her gripes was &quot;the stilton isn't creamy enough&quot;, and &quot;the crisps are soggy&quot;. Then there was the no personality couple from Scotland that said basically nothing. Trust me, it was horrible, and I would never go on a ship that does not have open seating for breakfast and lunch. No, we didn't go to the buffets because when I am on vacation, I do not want to stand in line.<BR><BR>It was our only horrible table experience, and one worth remembering!<BR><BR>Could we have moved? Maybe, but I doubt if it would have made much difference.

xxx Nov 15th, 2002 06:21 AM

This sounds like the my Thanksgiving Holiday Dinner which is approaching soon. Someone is always mad at someone, conversations are tense. Everyone tries to act happy but no one really is at all. The plus side, is it is only for ONE DAY versus a week or so. Thank Goodness. This is why there is &quot;Black Friday&quot; the day after. To go out shopping and get &quot;away.&quot;

Jen Nov 15th, 2002 06:41 AM

To xxx<BR><BR>My family is the exact same way. Everyone always tries to make small talk but no one really likes each other. You can always catch my cousins looking at their watches.<BR><BR>That's why I'm going to Las Vegas for Thanksgiving :)

Why Nov 15th, 2002 06:59 AM

It's beyond me why people still go on a cruise after experiencing this sort of thing. As some one said, you would not pay good money in a restaurant to be seated with complete strangers. Think about it. Who would do that?<BR><BR>Cruising is not like the t.v. Love Boat image where everyone was nice, elegantly dressed, knew what silverware was for, etc.<BR><BR>It's a crap shoot what you will get and I would not waste thousands of dollars on an experience that might or might not be good. Lots of better vacations out there.

xxx Nov 15th, 2002 07:08 AM

Jen, that is exactly what I told my husband this a.m. Next year, we will be going away over Thanksgiving. I would rather go on a Cruise, and sit with the strangers then the family. It couldn't be any worse. Last year we were away. We are doing a cruise in Feb. for 7 days. I have opted for a larger table, at least that is better than sitting with people in a 4 some you don't know and have nothing in common with. B&amp;B's are the same thing. You eat breakfast and have to make small talk with strangers. There is always plus and minus to the entire situation.

Why not Nov 15th, 2002 08:27 AM

to the person,&quot;Why&quot; - a question - WHY are you wasting your time perusing the cruise boards if you're so anti-cruise? You sound like the kind of person who most of these people are complaining about - the crashing boor, hell-bent on ruining everyone else's vacation.

GetAway Nov 15th, 2002 09:03 AM

WhyNot<BR>I'm with you.This person OBVIOUSLY has never been to Europe.Being seated at a table with total strangers in order to fill the table up is very common.But they are the ones in the supermarkets buying up all the bad apples and spoiled bananas just so they wud have something to grinch about when the returned to their trashed out trailer park

Nancy Nov 15th, 2002 01:31 PM

I would not want to sit next to my best friend for 10 dinners in a row, we all need our space.

maryann Nov 15th, 2002 02:01 PM

Why hasn't anyone mentioned a table for two.<BR><BR>There are not many of them but the lucky few have probably had bad experiences.<BR><BR>On our next cruise, we have asked for a 2, a year in advance. If I don't get it, I will be RP.<BR><BR>The worst is a 4. Chit-chat for days with nothing in common. Happened to us 2x.<BR><BR>We would like to order and our food without waiting for people to eat the courses we have not ordered, and leaving when we want.

Jim Nov 17th, 2002 12:20 PM

More horrible people stories please!

ashuma Nov 17th, 2002 01:26 PM

Guess I have always been very lucky. Both when I was single and now as a happily married couple, I (and we) have always had great table mates. Plus there was no doubt that if I hadn't liked the group at our table, we could have changed. I have never felt stuck with anyone and have always found something to talk about with our table mates.