Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Cruised Set for Bermuda (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/cruised-set-for-bermuda-805731/)

sunny515 Sep 12th, 2009 06:21 AM

Cruised Set for Bermuda

I want to thank everyone for the great advice on my last topic. My dad recently booked the cruise. It's going to be...Celebrity Summit out of Bayonne for April 2010. At first, it was likely going to be NCL Dawn out of NYC. When dad got a AAA booklet about cruises out of Cape Liberty, he saw the Summit. He checked the website and other FAQ. He talked to a representative and we got booked. I showed my mother the Virtual Tours of the ship, she loved the features the ship offers. I know we're going to have fun. May I ask for tips/advice on whoever has been on Celebrity Cruises. I do know it's a step up from what I know about Carnival. Can you tell me your experiences.

Thanks again.

Frank Sep 12th, 2009 07:53 AM

We've sailed most other lines but not Celebrity simply due to the fact they don't offer (as far as I'm aware) Anytime Dining, where you can eat dinner when and with who you want.

We sailed the NCL Dawn out of New York (to Florida and the Bahamas)and loved all the dining options. Much like restaurant dining.

I'm sure you will get lots of good feedback regarding Celebrity, particularly the high quality of the food.

Check with CruiseCritic.com, they are the bible for cruise information.

Have a great cruise.

P.S. Don't omit Carnival from you cruise options, they have some great ships (the newer ones) and the food is better than Royal Caribbean. We're sailing on their new ship the Dream this Fall and we did a European cruise with them last year (Freedom also a new ship)and they were top notch.

sunny515 Sep 12th, 2009 03:51 PM

Thanks. My parents went on the NCL Dawn a couple of years ago to the Carribean. I'll check the website. I have been on Carnival cruises and I loved our Alaskan cruise on the spirit. I saw on the website about the Dream and it is a dream. Have fun.

Aristotle Sep 13th, 2009 11:31 AM

We have cruised Celebrity twice, Galaxy and Zenith. We were on Zenith to Bermuda. Both trips were fine (except for a storm at sea on the way to Bermuda on Zenith. The food was good and the facilities were fine. The Zenith is smaller and was able to tie up in Hamilton and St, George, which was really nice. Larger ships can't get into those harbors. But Bermuda is small and bus passes cheap so getting around is easy. You can see almost everthing without guides. We had almost all our meals on the ship, after checking local restaurant prices. Incidentally, after our rough trip, people were looking for nausea remedies. The pharmacies were recommending drugs (phenothiazines) which have some frightening side effects. They are effective, but too dangerous to mess with. They are Rx only in the US

ParrotMom Oct 5th, 2009 08:19 AM

MORE THAN A STEP UP!!! First, Celebrity has a new style dining..so that they do not have to rush back from their excursions which for the most part can be done on their own.. We have cruised on the Celebrity Century,Galaxy and Constellation.. and are booked for the Equinox next October.. We did cruise Princess and found them (Pacific Princess) two steps anyhow below Celebrity.. If the ship is going to go into St. George that is a plus, charming little village. Our regret is that the NCL Spirit only goes to the Dockyard now.. but we hear it's a great place now that the cruise lines have paid for the new terminal..

ParrotMom Oct 5th, 2009 01:36 PM

There are TWO dining selections.. the Traditional and now the Select...

sunny515 Nov 21st, 2009 05:01 AM

Wow. My family and I will be going to King's Wharf, Bermuda(my parents been there and they like that area the best). Since will be docked there for three days, I got tips if I visit St. George or Hamilton via bus or ferry what to see and do. Thanks.