Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Cruise Value Center - Warning (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/cruise-value-center-warning-374174/)

sable Nov 5th, 2003 02:31 PM

Cruise Value Center - Warning

Booked a cruise through this company by requesting a rate quote on cruisecompete.
Cruise Value Center only quoted 12 days instead of the 25 I requested on cruisecompete. I noticed the discrepancy when I got the confirmation # today. When I called CVC, Jenn said the cruise line gave the price for the first 12 day cruise not the complete 25 day.
I feel she should have requested the total price for the 25 day cruise before she sent me the quote. I should not have been the one to discover the discrepancy.
This almost smacks of "bait and switch".
So just be aware that the quoted price may not be the real price.
I am requesting that they honor their price quote because it was not my fault.
Has anyone else had a similiar experience with this company?
Is this something I can/should contact the BBB?
Do I have any legal recourse?
HELP, please.
Joanne
Joanne

Joanne

jacketwatch Nov 5th, 2003 05:02 PM

Try contacting the ombudsman section of the Conde Nast travel magazine. They have some weight, alot more than you by yourself. It sure does seem like bait and switch. I assume yo paid with a CC, at least I hope so. You can therefore protest the bill and claim fraud. You will have to prove you asked for a 25 day cruise quote and received 12 as a responsewith out being told it was 12. I hope you have this proof. If so then you have a case. Good luck, Larry.

Budman Nov 5th, 2003 05:29 PM

sable/joanne, did you lose any money? What's your loss? Did you pay for 25 and only get 12? ((b))

Starfish Nov 6th, 2003 02:30 PM

I have read a couple of complaints lately against this agency.

cruise2much Nov 6th, 2003 03:25 PM

Here is my opinion. From what it looks like this was an honest mistake. I booked 2 cabins with cruise value after using cruisecompete and found the agent (also Jennifer) to be thorough and complete. She was nearly a hundred dollars per person less expensive than the next lowest quote (which took 2 days longer than cruise value did). She completed the sale, and sent me an email confirmation within minutes that showed the correct itinerary, date, price, etc. At the time I had requested 3 different sailings on cruisecompete. All 3 of them were quoted by cruise value center. I would guess that this mistake happened because cruise value center is quoting so many people (since I received 3 responses within a few hours) that an honest mistake was made. Just to let you know. This is actually my 3rd vacation booked through cruise value center, but decided to use cruisecompete to see if I could get an even better price, and I did.

katybird Nov 7th, 2003 08:11 AM

I am somewhat dissatified with Cruise Value. We booked a cruise in Aug. for a total of 12 people in our group. Everyone received their documents in Sept except for my husband and myself. I called to make sure everything was in the proper order. YES..I was told I had signed my invoice..all was well...The documents are sent at different times.....I just had to wait. OCT 31 still no documents.I called again. This time I was told I had not signed the invoice. I was not happy that I had received this misinformation. The agent told me they would have notified me A WEEK before the cruise if everything was not in order. That would have been a big help since we plan to spend time out of state with our son before sailing and would not be home. In the end I faxed my signature and they sent the documents priority mail.Another time I called with a question and they never called back. The agent that booked us is on leave now so I seem to get someone different whenever I call and a different answer! I do not like the way Cruise Value does business.

sable Nov 13th, 2003 09:36 AM

Just to update.
CVC, Ross, did get a quote for the entire 25 night cruise and after negotiating, he gave a rate that was about $160 less p.p. than another agency.
This whole ordeal was a big headache and I hope I never have to go through it again.
Just be careful if you deal with Cruise Value Center. And cruise compete.com

Joanne

jacketwatch Nov 13th, 2003 11:24 AM

I'm glad you got a fair settlement. Too bad for all the hassle. Just go and enjoy the cruise now. Put it all astern.

sable Jan 8th, 2004 03:27 PM

topping for person who asked about online booking sites