Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Cruise to Alaska (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/cruise-to-alaska-830828/)

oldygo Mar 13th, 2010 10:52 PM

Cruise to Alaska

I'd like to take a cruise to Alaska--no more than 10 days--with my 25 year old daughter. Prefer a smaller ship, but have no real experience cruising. Can anyone suggest a ship or cruise line? NOT interested in a party boat, shows, gambling, etc. Just want to see Alaska. Thanks!

sunny515 Mar 14th, 2010 02:54 PM

There are a lot of cruise lines that take Alaskan cruises. It is worth it. I loved Alaska but it was really cold but the scenery was breath taking.
These are the cruise lines I know that go:
Royal Carribean
Carnival
Holland America
Princess
Norwegin
Celebrity

I know there are others. I was recommended the website www.cruisecritics.com for information on the ships and cruiselines.

Dayenu Mar 14th, 2010 03:44 PM

After a day of sightseeing you will be back on a "party boat" with shows and bars. I am not trying to talk you out of cruising, but are you sure it's for you? Maybe a land tour or a rented car will suit your needs better?

katybird Mar 15th, 2010 01:15 PM

Have you looked at Cruise West? Their ships carry 78-138 passengers.

abram Mar 15th, 2010 01:39 PM

I would suggest that you avoid the cruise lines sunny515 listed--those don't seem to be what you're looking for.
The website is www.cruisecritic.com and it is an excellent source of information.
A colleague of mine had a wonderful experience with Cruise West.
If you want to put together your own itinerary and want an experience as little like a mainstream cruise as possible, the ferries on the Alaska Marine Highway system are fun.

sunny515 Mar 15th, 2010 03:28 PM

With all due respect abram, I'm sorry I got the website's name wrong. I just saw some of the ships at ports when my family and I went on our Alaskan cruise. I was researching cruises and these lines my father and I usually get brouchers in the mail or e-mail. I just recommend them and the website. I know oldygo will have a wonderful time.

boom_boom Mar 16th, 2010 10:04 AM

Princess used to have one of their smaller,former "R" ships, (or about 700 pax) on the Alaska run, don't know if they still do.

landineen Mar 16th, 2010 06:47 PM

You can always take BC ferries from Vancouver to P.Rupert and x-fer to Alaska state ferries for a true adventure.

Eschew Mar 18th, 2010 02:56 PM

boom_boom, that would be the Royal Princess round trip from Seattle. But it is for 14 days and for 2010, it dosen't even stop at Sitka, one of my perferred stops.

For a small ship cruise, cruise west is probably the best bet.

To see the "real" Alaska, you really should fly to Alaska and do the land tours, add a "side trip" to see the fjords at the Glacier Bay National Park.

Carmen123 Mar 21st, 2010 04:23 PM

Went last year on the Pacific Princess and loved it.Ships size is just right 680 passengers.It was a 14 day Seattle round trip and I know you wanted 10 days.However it stops at Kodiak island which is very special and few ships go to the island.

Another idea {expensive but worth it) is Regent Cruises. They have both 7 and 14 days.All excursions are included.Really posh
Eschew is correct. Royal princess is taking over Pacific Princess' Alaskan run. However you go Have Fun