Cruise Rewards Credit Cards

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2005, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, for the second time, I've now been notified that the cruise reward credit card that I have is going to be discontinued.
And just like last time, its just at the point where I'll earn a sizeable reward.
This time it's the Carnival Mastercard from Capital One. They are discontinuing this reward card program.
Has anyone had any success finding a company thats doesn't start, then stop offering such rewards?
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 06:00 PM

I have used the NCL card twice in the past year for discounts, in October for $500 off and next month for $1000 off. 3% of purchases adds up for me.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks BudgetQueen. I'm sure that NCL is a fine company, I've just never felt that they'd be a good fit for me. I usually travel with Carnival, some with RCCL.
I'm not finding much in this area, I was thinking that maybe I should switch to an airline card and save money on the flight to and from cruises instead. Anyone have an airline favorite that's easy to use?
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 07:53 AM

I have a Wells Fargo rewards card that I've been happy with. Instead of miles, you get points ($1 = 1 point) that you can use on any airline.

Basically, you just find the flight you want, and call their house travel agency. Points get you dollars toward the flight. For example, 40,000 points gets you up to $800 off a ticket to Hawaii. If the ticket costs more, you just pay the difference.

Two advantages. First, you're not tied to a single airline (that may not have the flight you want)--a big deal if you live in a smaller market. Second, there are no blackout dates or limitations on the number of "program seats"--if the flight has seats, you can take it.

Wells charges something like $75/year. There may be other cards that work the same way that don't charge, and there may also be some that give more than 1 point per $ (at least for certain purchases), but as I have a lot of points in my account right now it wouldn't make sense for me to change now...
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 01:17 PM

The advantage of the NCL card for cruising, it adds up quickly and for a greatly reduced or free cruise, I can live with plenty of shortcomings. I find airline cards tough to use if you go with a particular airline's card. Best would be the general cards like mentioned above. But spending 40,000 for a "free" flight is something to consider.
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 08:00 AM

To follow up to BQ's point (on target as usual)--it helps if you have business charges going through your personal card.

Cheers!