Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Cruise prices are being lowered in light of accident - anyone booking?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious, anyone planning to cash in on terrific values for the moment? Why? Why not?
Old Jan 17th, 2012, 01:37 PM

I don't doubt prices WILL go down as a result of the disaster, but I don't know that they have gone down yet. I would assume that the lines will take some time to measure the effect it has on bookings then adjust accordingly?

(If you've seen information that says differently, I'd be interested if you would share it.)

I guess is that bookings will slow because of several factors. Not only will some people be turned off of cruising by the sinking, but even people who understand this was a bizarre accident not likely to be repeated are savvy enough to know that prices will likely drop with demand, so they'll wait and see what happens. Also, I've heard that cruise lines have turned off their advertising where possible out of respect for the tragedy, which might contribute to a slowdown as well.
Old Jan 18th, 2012, 04:51 AM

Where are these terrific values? I'd appreciate a link.
Old Jan 18th, 2012, 05:11 AM

http://www.vacationstogo.com/cruise_...ia)__Italy.cfm ·

Crystal discounting up to 70% more than Costa kind of strange.
Little to soon for big discounts yet.
Odds are they are coming in a BIG way though.

Human/crew error on 1 vessel does not negate cruise travel as being safer than road or air travel.I will book the best deals I can find to help the industry.

insuremytrip.com always wise for me though.
Old Jan 19th, 2012, 08:46 PM

I would be curious to see how long it takes for prices to lower and by how much, due to this tragic event. As previously said, can one human error that was disastrous effect the whole industry of cruising?
Old Jan 20th, 2012, 08:00 AM

We have a trip planned next month, after that we'll know better our finance situation, meaning, how well our credit card will stand up to expenses in Costa Rica

And wedding in May.

By the time we'll be able to make plans, all these low prices will be gone - if they are there, I haven't checked.
Old Jan 20th, 2012, 10:52 AM

You are getting marry in May? Congratulations!

Just teasing ...
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 03:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Price aren't being cut in Europe. In fact, a surge in booking has been felt by some companies.
Old Jan 28th, 2012, 02:47 AM

I am going on a cruise in 2 weeks with P & O. As the disaster looks like human error I am not really that worried. If it was something that might affect all ships, then yes I would be worried. The prices for my cruise have not gone down at all, in fact they are getting sold at at their regular prices.
Old Jan 28th, 2012, 03:29 AM

Yup, this entire post is based on a false premise. LBloom hasn't returned, I note and, as usual, our pet tout uses it to flog insuremytrip and vacationstogo. Nothing will stop either of them.
Old Jan 28th, 2012, 06:58 AM

Well Nigel I don't see much yet. I hope they do. BTW we may be back in IST next Oct. as part of a 2 day stop on the Equinox. Haven't booked it yet but we'll see if I am granted the vacation time. For me I can't get the time approved more than 6 mos. in advance. Thats P/P. It seems that usually the prices go up the closer one gets to the time of departure.
Old Jan 28th, 2012, 09:05 AM

The Exquinox is on my bucket list, too. Maybe fate will throw us together again. But remember - in here I'm <i>dogster</i>. Don't blow my cover. People will eventually work out who I am and send me fan mail.
Old Jan 28th, 2012, 09:17 AM

OK dogster or as Sue would say hotdog. I'll post more if we get the time off. BTW where are you now? FWIW in the latest issue of CN Traveler mag per a readers poll the Equinox was 5th best in the large ship category. The 1st two were Disney ships actually. Well I won't be on those. Gotta get ready now for a party. I am about to marinate chicken in a home made tandoori recipe. Then shovel snow. Letter amigo.
Old Feb 8th, 2012, 02:37 PM

I thought I would bring this up again. Has anyone seen a drop in prices or not? I would not say I have noticed much but then again I don't look that often. just wondering.
Old Feb 8th, 2012, 03:11 PM

There will always be "discounting" by certaun cruise lines on a regular basis, especailly on certain destination where tehre is just toomuch capacity.

I have not seen any "out of the ordinary" discounting that can be attributed to the Costa incident. As a matter of fact, I have seen some price increases and filled ships. We are booked on a Northern Europe cruise for June 2012 and the price has gone up (after we booked and lock the price) and the inventory is minimal. There is maybe less than 40 cabins left, and most categories are wait list only.
Old Feb 9th, 2012, 08:05 AM

You have to also remember that there has been a 2500 passenger per week capacity reduction due to the Concordia disaster and it now being out of service. So those customers will now be bidding for existing capacity and may in fact cause an increase in prices. I suspect that those who will shun cruising out of fear will be fewer than those now looking for another ship to sail on.
Old Feb 9th, 2012, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

I'll bet you can get a heck of a deal on the Crown Princess right now. With all the norovirus outbreaks, and now cutting short the cruise this past week, I'll bet Princess will soon pay passengers to cruise!
Old Feb 9th, 2012, 12:42 PM

"When Carnival (CCL) and Royal Caribbean (RCL) announced their earnings this past week, they told us what many travel agents assumed. The images and video of the Costa Concordia disaster caused cruise bookings to take a sharp decline in January. Carnival stated that sales dropped in the range of 15% compared to 2011 with reservations hitting a low on January 16."

"Cruise lines are still waiting to see if demand will pick up before they begin to lower prices. If bookings remain low, there is a good chance that some incredible cruise deals will become available. However, you do not have to necessarily wait for these great deals. Most cruise lines will match the lower price if it drops before final payment. Some cruise lines will even give you the difference in on board credit if final payment has already passed. "

http://cruisefever.net/drop-in-cruis...se-deals-0204/
Old Feb 10th, 2012, 05:31 AM

Thanks. Yes I would imagine that the virus on these ships will far effect crusing then the sunken ship! I doubt those poeple are out scouting for another cruise! I will keep my eyes open. I just got email from princess 1/3 off to 50% off select cruises.
Old Feb 24th, 2012, 04:38 AM
Original Poster

Looks like the New York Times agrees with me:

http://travel.nytimes.com/2012/02/26....html?src=dayp