Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Cruise Payment Down To The Wire an Ecruisestore tale Err Rant

Jan 29th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Original Poster

Here it is 4 days before my Diamond Princess Asia cruise gets cancelled for non-payment. I booked with Ecruisestore, via Cruise Compete at the end of Jan 2008. I paid in full at that time. They double charged my credit card (a common occurrence with them I understand) That was straightened out. The months go by and now cruise time is getting near. Final payment is due 75 days before. That was a couple weeks ago. I called Princess they extended the due date. I call the agency and I am told that another department (customer service) handles it and not to worry. I see a cabin I would like to be moved to a few days later. I call and my request is refused. I ask about the final payment again and I am told the same thing again. I call Princess last night and find out my reservation is up for cancellation Monday 2/2. Today I call the agency and try to get customer service and get a recording that they are closed for a party today. I call Princess and ask for a supervisor. I could consider paying Princess and then I have to fight with the agency to get refunded. I will likely be charged a penalty and lose my OBC and to add to it, the agency has had my money almost a year and is making money on it. What a dilema I am faced with. I really have to decide Friday and act. No more Cruise Compete for me. Sorry for the long rant
Jan 30th, 2009, 02:26 AM

I too paid ecruisestore in full &
then my ship also charged my credit
card.

IF you paid by creditcard & cannot
get satisfaction from ecruise, I
would pay Princess and dispute
the credit charge from Ecruise with
your cc company.
Mar 3rd, 2009, 06:14 AM

And what was the outcome hpeabody? Did you go on the cruise and get your shipboard credit?
Mar 7th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

Hi. Here's what happened. Princess was paid at the 11th hour 59th minute in a mass group payment. I also got a call from the agent at ecruisestore and got a bit of a scolding. I seem to have caused Princess to contact them a few times, and they were not happy about that. I am now preparing for the trip, the cruise will leave March 30th. I believe I will have my shipboard credit and wine Thanks for asking
Mar 9th, 2009, 02:50 AM

With an experience like that, I guess I won't be considering using Ecruisestore any time soon. I wouldn't have agree to full payment at time of booking anyway, and why would you? If the cruise line didn't want your money yet, why would you give it to someone else to hold until it's time? In this case, they clearly had your money, used it and pay up at that very last minute which is probably what they had intended to do all along. What happens if they go belly up? What happened if they can't pay or didn't pay? Maybe there were lots of complaints. Maybe if they didn't pay they will be cut off from Princess (and Carinval and HAL and Curard etc, which are all owned by the same compamny).

Here is another reason not to deal with an on line agent. If you run into problem (like yours), you are really limited on what you can do. Do you think you can just walk in and talk to a live person and demand satisfaction? Ecruisestore shows a Florida address. Have you been there? It is interesting to note that on their web site, when you do a drop down and select cruise lines, Celebrity and Royal Caribbean are not on the list, yet there are icons for you to click through to book direct. They are "mass market" cruise lines and are extremely popular and yet you cannot get "quotes" except by going direct? Does it mean that they lost their "priviledge" to book passages on those 2 cruise lines due to mishaps from the past? Since Royal Caribbean and Celebrity has the same owner ... you can draw your own conclusion.

PS Don't send me hate mail. I am not slamming on line agents. All I am saying is that you really have no idea who you are dealing with and have limited option when things go wrong.

Support the local economy and support your local business!