Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Cruise lines dropping some Covid requirements

Old Feb 10th, 2022, 03:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many cruise lines are dropping requirements and mandates on March 1, or sooner.
How do you feel about unvaccinated children on the cruise?
How do you feel about mask mandates being dropped on ships?
Will you feel safe if test requirements are also dropped for cruises?
What about buffets returning to people getting their own food?
Is this going to affect port stops in places that have test and/or mask requirements?

I wish they would wait just a little longer. I feel we keep jumping the gun on things like this by a few weeks. Things seem to be on a downward trend. Will dropping mandates in schools, on cruises, etc., cause another upswing in cases?

Would like to hear everybody’s thoughts, but especially people in the medical field and teachers.

Old Feb 10th, 2022, 05:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have never like buffets where people help themselves. I have seen unsupervised children take food with their hands!
I too, feel it might be a bit too early to lift the testing and masks. The reason cases have decreased is because of masks and vaccines.
Old Feb 10th, 2022, 07:40 AM
Forum Moderator

Moved to the Cruise Forum
Old Feb 10th, 2022, 04:47 PM
P_M

Last year we chose a Princess cruise over a land trip because they required 100% vaccination among all passengers and crew, as well as masking on board. If they drop these requirements we will be far less likely to take a cruise until covid is no longer a problem.
Old Feb 10th, 2022, 10:51 PM
Original Poster

I don’t pay too much attention to percentages because I don’t know how many people are being tested. I do pay attention to cases and deaths and both are still high in many states. I do not understand why things are always rushed. Numbers are going down overall, and I believe if cruise lines would wait just a couple more weeks or even until mid-March, it would be so much safer. It is maddening. We were hoping to do a Spring Break cruise with our GD. I will do it only on a ship with fully vaccinated and tested passengers. I would prefer masking in areas like the theater. One cruise line says they will allow up to 5% of total passengers to be unvaccinated children. That could easily be 100 kids running around during Spring Break. So, unfortunately, no deal for me. RCCL and NCL are both giving up some protocols. So far Carnival has not bent to the pressure, but who knows how long they can hold out? My GD does go to school, but most kids in her grades are vaccinated and most wear masks. Still, some have had Covid. We all wear masks when we see each other.
Old Feb 12th, 2022, 10:33 AM

How do you feel about unvaccinated children on the cruise? I prefer to cruise without children on board.

How do you feel about mask mandates being dropped on ships? Many passengers are not following the mandates anyways, and there is no enforcement.

Will you feel safe if test requirements are also dropped for cruises? NO although it really only buys you a little time.

What about buffets returning to people getting their own food? I would prefer that if they would just enforce the handwashing protocol. It was a lot more efficient and so easier to social distance. I won't cruise on Princess as long as they keep their current buffet protocol (crew grabbing your plates and cups, no enforcement of handwashing). It may be that because there are not enough handwashing stations that Princess went to this, instead of fixing that issue.

Is this going to affect port stops in places that have test and/or mask requirements? As soon as there is an outbreak you will have closed ports in the Caribbean especially. I think Mexico will stay open.
Old Feb 12th, 2022, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by P_M View Post
Last year we chose a Princess cruise over a land trip because they required 100% vaccination among all passengers and crew, as well as masking on board. If they drop these requirements we will be far less likely to take a cruise until covid is no longer a problem.
i don't think I will go on another Princess cruise after my recent experience.
Old Feb 13th, 2022, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Mlgb, In your TR, you mentioned the too small balcony and unattractive cabin, but what else of your experience makes Princess less desirable for you? What are your favorite ships or cruise lines?
Our first cruise was on the Caribbean Princess when it was new, elegant yet fun vibe. Passengers were all age ranges. The ship gleamed and we were greeted with champagne flutes. The entertainment was truly amazing and the itinerary was the gorgeous Southern Caribbean departing from San Juan. I fell in love with cruising. We have taken several Princess cruises since and each seems further away from that first experience. The last seemed very average in food, so, so entertainment and a much older, sedate crowd. I am curious about your take.
Old Feb 13th, 2022, 01:57 PM

Sassafrass, I like to walk around on the promenade deck or jogging track. That class of ship is deficient..very narrow promenade with a few popouts.
The promenade

My niece described the atrium as follows: "Looks like a middle of nowhere Hilton & the Cheesecake Factory had a baby".

Last edited by mlgb; Feb 13th, 2022 at 01:59 PM.
Old Feb 13th, 2022, 02:01 PM

Stateroom

Balcony

Old Feb 13th, 2022, 02:32 PM

Yes I agree that the passengers are older and sedate, I didn't know if it was just this ship and this timing and itinerary. But maybe just that Princess passengers have all "aged in place" so to speak. So the 40 year olds are now senior citizens. It was interesting that there was a notable cohort of Asian or Asian-American passengers, some seemed to be multi-generational families. Possibly this ship's history and retaining the Chinese characters and some of the features is of interest (I recall they thought that they would make so much money off the luxury shopping).

Pre COVID I was happy with Holland America for Alaska. Norwegian Sun was a smaller ship that I enjoyed on a Cape Horn cruise with a 30-something cruise buddy. Both of those have better design of the outdoor decks. HAL had good food, I read that their master chef is becoming the top food guy for Princess. Maybe they are taking all of the complaints to heart.

NCL has not very exciting food in the MDRs. However on the big ship (Bliss) there was good food to be had in some of the Specialty restaurants. I could eat the Indian food and ice cream from the buffet and be perfectly happy. Plus they had coffee makers in the rooms!

From the west coast we don't have as many choices as you do in Florida. I see that Royal Caribbean is coming back so that is something for me to look into. My only sailing with them was an old ship that they don't have anymore (my first cruise).

To be honest, the reason I chose this cruise was because there was virtually no single supplement so the price per day was about the same as staying in a Motel 6 and eating at Denny's.....you get what you pay for!

Last edited by mlgb; Feb 13th, 2022 at 03:03 PM.