Reload this Page >

Cruise Line vs Cruise Line

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 04:43 AM
jmac

Have elderly friends interested in cruise around So America in Jan 02. Has anyone traveled via Norwegian, Renaissance or Celebrity that can give points of view on any of these ships? Also semi handicapped with walking. Any input would be great. Thanks in advance.

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 05:54 PM
Andy

Celebrity and Princess have good itineraries for South America--food is very good on Celebrity.As far as semi-handicapped-both lines have handicapped accessible rooms- main problem may be the excursions if you can't do a lot of walking. Your T>A> should be able to get you a list of excursions and a listing of those the cruise line considers heavy duty or difficult, as far a walking goes....Also look into Holland America--there are a lot of seniors on their ships also and the line is terrific.

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 04:26 AM
jmac

Thanks Andy. They are looking at cruises that go around Cape Horn. Not much shore excursions.

Old Jul 13th, 2001, 02:38 PM
Captb93

Have been on all three lines:Celebrity's Mercury, NCL's Sky & Renaissance's R1 & R3. Celebrity & NCL have Mega ships (about 2,000 fellow passengers) while Ren has smaller more intimate ships of about 550 passengers. Food quality was best on Celebrity & worst on Ren 1, Service is excellent on all three, but the cabins are better on Ren & Celebrity. IMHO if the friends are partially handicapped I would opt for the smaller ship where there would be much less walking innvolved. Ren's R Class are 1/3 the size of the Mercury & Sky!!! Much easier to get around. In addition Ren & NCL have a casual atmosphere, no formal nights & open seating. <BR> <BR>Re. excursions - have you considered hiring private guides who would be able to match an itinerary to their capabilities! <BR>Hope this helps - if you have any other questions feel free to e-mail me.

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 09:25 AM
Stephanie P.

Hello jmac: <BR> <BR>I'm planning my first time cruise. I am planning a 10 day Southern Carribean Princess Cruise for December 2002. I'm choosing a stateroom w/private balony. This price would be only $1,799. For only 4 days inside cabins can be $800 or $900. My cruise would not be bad for 6 ports in 10 days. Maybe you could take a longer cruise? My travel agent tells me Celebrity and Princess are top notch cruise lines (she was on Princess and Celebrity).

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 06:13 PM
Doc

Norwegian Cruise Lines has a trip scheduled for the Norwegian Dream in January, 2002, that goes around Cape Horn. My wife and I are taking a similar trip on the Dream in April next year. I'd suggest you check the NCL web site for details at: www.ncl.com/itinerary/it_samer_2000.htm. <BR> <BR>Good luck! <BR> Doc