Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Am I the only one who would rather pay more than be nickled and dimed for a week??

Search

Am I the only one who would rather pay more than be nickled and dimed for a week??

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 09:57 PM
Lynn

I've been on about a dozen cruises over the past 20 years (I'm 47). I really miss the older days where I didn't feel so nickled and dimed for the entire cruise! I'd rather pay more up front (and know it) and then go and be able to relax without feeling like someone was in my pocket for a week. We returned 2 weeks ago (I won't mention the line because it may be happening on all lines, but it was our first and last on this particular line)... but we were actually charged for after dinner cappaccino!! This was a first for me as this is my dessert. We sailed on the HAL Amsterdam during 2001 and this never happend....are cruise lines getting this desperate?? Anyone else experience something this "cheap"? Maybe it's time to try one of the luxury lines like Radisson, Seaborne, Crystal. Even if I pay more up front, I feel like it would be a better experience after all is said and done. I'm sick of cruiselines trying to constantly sell something and have their fingers in my pocket!

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 10:07 PM
Paul Therault

Hi Lynn,<BR><BR>I imagine quite a fw would agree with you but if you add up the charges you spend as extras on the reasonable cruise lines you will see your total costs would still be a heck of a lot less than a Radisson, Seabourn, Silversea or Crystal.<BR><BR>Paul

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 10:16 PM
Diane

Right on Lynn. I too feel like everytime I turn around someone is trying to sell me, souvenier cocktail glasses, photos, bingo cards, jewelry, whatever! I'm getting to the point where I hate it. Like you, I'd rather pay more and know that people will just leave me alone for a week so I can do what I came on the cruise to do....relax from a stressful job and be with my husband! Go ahead, charge me more and give me the perks....I'm willing and able to pay more up front then be nickled and dimed all week. Cruiselines, do you hear us??

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 10:57 PM
Paul Therault

Cruiselines will hear you but will not listen. They have to keep their prices low to stay competitive, fill their ships and to lure passengers of all ages. They continue to think of ways to increase their profit. Same as reasonble land resorts.<BR><BR>The upscale lines do not have to do this. They have a captive audience and reduce their prices to past passengers to keep their audience.<BR><BR>Also, if you study, you will find you are paying extra for such things as spa treatments, premium wine and liquor, bingo, etc. So what is the definition of &quot;nickel-and-diming?&quot;<BR><BR>Paul

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 02:07 AM
neviboy

After several cruises on 3 different lines, I finally found Radisson following the collapse of Renaissance. I could not go back to any other line. No tipping , complimentary alcohol of choice in the cabin bar plus beer. Wine of excellent quality and vintage with dinner. A well trained, efficient and pleasant crew, always welcoming one, and a great line all around. <BR>neviboy

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 05:32 AM
Beverly

You ask, What is nickel and diming? Try charging for after dinner espresso or cappaccino, ice cream on deck, sodas just to mention a couple from my most recent cruise.<BR><BR> Years ago a cruise was all inclusive except for the &quot;real&quot; extras. I agree with Lynn, I'd rather pay more up front. Limiting room service to the bare minimum is another example of somewhat false advertising in my opinion. Look at the brochures, they make it look like whatever you want on a cruise is yours for the asking. Perhaps it's a psychological thing, but brochure photos portray being pampered. Maybe it is time to try a line such as Radisson or Crystal. I'm sure you really do feel pampered on those lines.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 06:04 AM
xxx

I don't care for the nickle and diming business either. It is an insult to people's intelligence. In all fairness though, in many resorts, it isn't any different. If you choose to have a spa treatment it is additional charges except for the truly upscale places where you pay up front. It is annoying though I admit.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 07:07 AM
gloria

Of course people are prepared to pay extra for spa treatments...I don't think this is what Lynn meant. (agree with ya Lynn...it's gets real old huh?)

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 08:11 AM
Alf

I'm with you Lynn! What is also turning me off is the way the lines are trying to get money by going back to the old &quot;classes&quot; mindset on ships. <BR><BR>They say everyone is &quot;first class&quot; but if you want to be treated better than others you can eat at the better restaurant, get better coffee, better deserts, etc. etc. if you're willing to pay extra. It's a shame, they are ruining the experience. Also, notice how the exact same cabins cost more the higher up you are on the ship? Don't let them kid you, they are treating everyone according to the Class they are willing to pay for and NOT everyone is going first class.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 08:58 AM
Lenore

I agree that the nickle and dime thing is annoying. I especially hate it when they force you have your picture taken in a variety of locales, even though I have no intention of buying the photos. However, if you look at the prices on the upscale luxury lines, they are CONSIDERABLY more expensive. My husband doesn't drink and I only drink a little, so we could never justify the added cost unless we won the lottery! Just say no to the extras, unless you think it's worth the price.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 09:31 AM
BILL

Same as you,we have been cruising for 20 years , and have tried all major lines! <BR> Holland America never charges for ice cream (served most of the day,all you can eat)! Never charges you for tips before you even sale! Just stick to H.A.L. BILL

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 09:33 AM
BILL

Same as you,we have been cruising for 20 years , and have tried all major lines! <BR> Holland America never charges for ice cream (served most of the day,all you can eat)! Never charges you for tips before you even sail! Just stick to H.A.L. BILL

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 09:36 AM
Sally

I agree...HAL seems to have maintained the best product and service with the least nickle and diming of the mainstream lines when others abandoned us! I thought I'd heard everything but now I hear that NCL charges $2.50 for orange juice. PALEEEEEEEZE. I hope that isn't true!

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 10:11 AM
Bob

Lynn, I agree with you. It has always been a rule of thumb for me to buy the least expensive cabin on the most expensive ship. To me this gives you the value for your money.<BR><BR>If I want to spend say $2,000.00 per person for a cruise, I would pick a ship where the least expensive cabin is $2,000.00 per person instead of spending that amount on the most expensive cabin.<BR><BR>When you leave your cabin on this type of ship everyone is treated the same.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 11:26 AM
TA

I would highly recommend that you try a line like Radison. Many times they have two for one pricing or free air fare specials that more then make up for the higher costs. I can usually find specials with them that only make the price a bit more then a Holland America cruise when you add the extras you recieve such as balcony cabin, free drinks, ect.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 11:59 AM
Enough

&quot;Don't let them kid you, they are treating everyone according to the Class they are willing to pay for and NOT everyone is going first class.&quot;<BR><BR>To which I say &quot;too bad.&quot; <BR><BR>A little more &quot;first class&quot; and a little bit less &quot;it's my vacation and I will do what I want&quot; would make the cruising experience more enjoyable.<BR><BR>Now, flame away. Wave your arms. I will still pay the money to go six star, be a snob, and treat my fellow passengers with gentility.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 12:22 PM
Al

Enough: I feel sorry for you. What twisted life experience turned you into someone like you are?

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 12:46 PM
Enough

Al--<BR><BR>People who think their way is the only way.<BR><BR>People who are selfish.<BR><BR>People who are lazy and resent those who work for what they have.<BR><BR>People who always blame others for their short comings.<BR><BR>People who must continuously justify and rationalize their bad actions.<BR><BR>People like you who can snipe, but not define what they don't like.<BR><BR>Do you feel better?<BR>

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 02:13 PM
M.B.

We are &quot;dyed-in-the-wool&quot; Seabourn Sailors but in Dec. we cruised on the little Radisson Diamond! What a special ship! Yes, it is very relaxing and comfortable NOT to have to pay for anything on the Seabourn &quot;triplets&quot; except for the spa, (and they have complimentary massages around the pool)<BR>photos, and excursions! Upon disembarking our bill at the purser's office is very little! It is WELL worth it.....we'll cruise Radisson and Seabourn!<BR>Happy 2003!

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 03:03 PM
Sandra

Wow Enough.... Sad, very sad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -