Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Can you help us find the best cruiseline for us?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2007, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We cruised on Holland America about 15 years ago and really enjoyed it. Then in 2005 we went on the Holland America World Cruise with our best friends and all 4 of us were quite disappointed (not in the itinerary whatsoever) but with how they seem to have their hand out all the time with all the extra charges.

Our friends then went on the Radisson (now Regent) World Cruise in 2006, we did not. They said it was the best experience for the money in their lives. My husband and I would like to consider another world cruise in 2008 but not sure what cruise lines to research. Before I jump in and commit to Regent (based on the wonderful reviews I've read and from our friend's experience) I'd like to consider any cruise lines that do World Cruises.

Is Regent the best bang for our buck? Does Princess or Celebrity do World Cruises? What cruise lines do? I've only looked into Crystal but don't care for their fixed dining policy. We are active 50 year olds.
Thank you for your suggestions.
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 06:04 AM

You need a travel agency to help you sort all this out.

The main stream cruise lines that charge extra for things - do not have their hand out - the people who do not use those items (drinks, spas) like the fact that they do not have to pay, in their cruise fare,for what they do
not use.
Good luck with your search and let us know what you decide.
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 06:34 AM

Cunard also does world cruises as does Princess. Princess will have their hand out at least as much as HAL (I am a TA with 112 cruises to date across many lines).

Celebrity does not but is also mass market and similar to HAL.

If you can afford Regent, there are many reasons to do so. The smallest suites are equal to the largest on the mass market lines and there are almost no extras.

If you prefer a degree of formality, consider Crystal who includes more than the mass market lines but less than Regent.

Old Jan 21st, 2007, 08:04 AM

I just recently returned from a 7 night cruise on Crystal. The ship left on a World Cruise the day we got off. I have sailed Celebrity, RCCL, Princess, and Carnival.

I LOVED Crystal. It was top notch and I would definitely consider them for a World Cruise (if I had the money).

I wouldn't worry about Crystal's fixed dining policy. There are many choices to dine in other places other than the dining room which is really nice. Plus, if you are scheduled for late dining and want early dining - there are plenty of openings due to people dining in other venues. So this really is not an issue. On our 7 night cruise - we only ate in the dining room 4 nights.

Crystal was top notch and I definitely would not rule them out due to the fixed dining as they have tons of options for dining and I never felt like it was fixed dining.

Princess has a world cruise scheduled. Not sure if they will do another one but I would definitely pick Crystal over Princess if I could afford it.
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 08:07 AM

BTW - I think you will be nickeled and dimed equally on HAL, Celebrity and Princess. Celebrity may seem a little less often but when they do it, it is 2x as much as Princess. They are all premium lines verses Regent and Crystal as Luxury lines.
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 11:44 AM

We're crusing HAL these days because of the price...but (Radisson) Regent provided the VERY best cruise experience we've ever had. We've sailed Cunard, Windstar, Royal C., Seabourn, HAL..and of of this group, Regent was by far the highest quality. Maybe when it is time to spend our children's inheritance, we'll go back to Regent!!
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 02:14 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your responses. So far I don't feel I've hit on the right TA for our needs. Not one has been on a world cruise themselves which of course makes sense since they're still in the full time work force. I'm doing more and more research and so far for what you get for the money, Regent does seem to be winning out.
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 02:23 AM

I just completed arranging a world cruise for one of my clients. There is definitely a lot to consider and pricing and insurance become complicated. I strongly recommend a good TA that knows her ships and lines.
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 06:19 AM

Call Linda Litteken at Brown & Keene (B&K) travel. They are a terrific agency. Experts on Regent. Two of their clients that I know of are on their second World Cruise as I write this. They posted a terrific account of their previous experience on B&K's forum Luxury Cruise Talk. We're booked on our 5th Regent cruise through B&K in Asia in September. I'd be happy to answer any questions: [email protected]. Linda's # is 800-856-1155. I suggest calling her rather than just an e-mail.
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 11:02 AM

Patsy, we have a good friend who is a retired minister. He has taken a number of long cruises as the ship's Protestant chaplain. His and his wife's experiences on 3 around-the-world Radisson (Regent) cruises spaced over the last 5 years have been the highlights of their cruising. He is greatly impressed with their standards of quality.

Go for it!

Old Jan 26th, 2007, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the referral and helpful information. I will take your advice.