Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Cozumel Shore Excusions: How Much Time Do They Really Take?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 2001, 04:33 AM
Mark

I'm a first-time cruiser, taking a 4-night Western Caribbean cruise on the Monarch of the Seas in November. Key West and Cozumel are the ports of call. The person I'm travelling with really wants to see some Mayan ruins and would like to take a shore excusion to Tulum. But I really want to get in some beach time and/or snorkeling. I'd like to do both - go see the ruins at Tulum and also spend some time in the water and/or on the beach. However, the shore excusion for Tulum on Royal Caribbean's web site is scheduled to last 6.5 hours and that would really not allow any time to do anything else. Any suggestions? Note: I have been to the Yucatan before and done the combined Tulum/Xel-Ha trip. I definitely don't want to go back to Xel-Ha. <BR> <BR>Also, any words of advice/comments about the Monarch would also be appreciated. I've read most of the reviews about the Monarch and its clear that some enjoyed it and some didn't, so I'm going into this with an open mind and a positive attitude. <BR> <BR>Thanks!

Old Sep 29th, 2001, 05:50 AM
CB

If you've ever watched Lonely Planet on TV there is an episode where Justine swims on the beach right below the ruins of Tulum. The beach there is fantastic looking so you may be able to do both. Just ask at the shore excursion desk, so while you swim your friend can be "ruined". CB

Old Sep 29th, 2001, 07:00 AM
Sue

<BR>I've traveled all over the world at times, alone. I never understand why people miss out on what they want to do cuz their travel partner wants to do somethng else. Why don't you separate that day so that not only can you both do exactly what you want but also will meet lots more people than if you stay together the whole time. However if that is not comfortable for you I would say there will be no real time to get in both. Unless like the above poster stated you do it while at Tulum but I don't recall being there all that long.

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 10:51 AM
karen

Hi Mark: We rented a car in Cozumel and went to the ruins on the Island I realize that they are not the same as the ruins on the mainland. However we were also able to take in some great beaches, rugged country/sea views and do some snorkling. Also left time in the evening for shopping, Carlos and Charles and even a wonderful Mexican dinner at Panchos Backyard. There are wonderful beach clubs like Playa San Francisco ect we took in at least three areas. A previous poster also had a great idea both take the tours that interest you personally. In Martinique I went to the volcanic ruins and butterfly farm and tour of the rain forest, my husband was tired of long bus rides (after Dominica) so he went snorkling in the bat caves. We both had were able to experience things that we were interested in. Also because it was a cruise sponsered excursion my husband was not worried about my safety. Karen

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 09:08 PM
Paul Therault

<BR>Hi Mark, <BR> <BR>You certainly can swim at the beach in Tulum. You can climb down the cliff to the beach. <BR> <BR>Since it is not a public beach there are no facilities or changing rooms. <BR> <BR>Paul