Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Cozumel, Belize City, Roatan and Cancun-ideas outside of the ship arranged tours

Cozumel, Belize City, Roatan and Cancun-ideas outside of the ship arranged tours

Nov 3rd, 2004, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

I am just wondering if anyone "winged" any excursions at any of the above cruise destinations vs. taking the tours offered by the ship. Not all of the ship program suggestions for these places thrill me. I'm just wanting to see if anyone has tried anything novel or gone off on their own at any of the above locations.
Nov 5th, 2004, 07:53 PM

In Cozumel, we walked out of the cruise ship terminal and hailed a cab. It was only about a 10 minute ride to Chankanaab National Park, where we rented snorkeling equipment and hung out for as long as we wanted. They have nice restrooms, showers and open-air snack bars. We then took a cab downtown for a few hours of shopping, but could have found the same things for sale (at about the same prices) at the ferry terminal.
http://www.cozumelmycozumel.com/Pages/Taxis.htm

Nov 8th, 2004, 11:24 AM

We took a cab to Nachi Cocom Beach Club and spent most of the day. It's a beautiful beach - here's a link.
http://www.cozumelnachicocom.net/

We did do the shore tour for Belize - don't go into the city by yourself. We did the Goff's Caye tour. It was absolutely fabulous.
Nov 9th, 2004, 12:03 PM

My husband and I just returned from Grand Cayman and Roatan on NCL Spirit. We had been to GC a couple years ago so this time we decided to rent a moped on our own and tour the island (highly recommend) we were able to cover alot of ground. In Roatan I recommend one of the cruise tours as the island is not easily accessible by foot. We did the kayak/snorkle excursion and he did not take people outside the ship.
Nov 10th, 2004, 04:15 AM

Cozumel - cab to park
Belize - Reggie cave tours
Roatan - Cab to beach to swim and snorkel
We usually go off on our own
Nov 10th, 2004, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!

Judy (if you're out there),
Did you hire a cab for the day to stay with you on Roatan while you snorkeled, etc.? If so, what did you pay and did you just use a cab by the port, or a special company?
Nov 18th, 2004, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Nov 18th, 2004, 08:08 AM

cchl1 I was about to ask the same . We are on NCL SUN Jan 29th.to Feb 5th. In Belize we booked reggies cave tour. Has anybody heard about Native Way in Georgetown GC? They seem to have some interesting tours. Will look into Roatan kayak tour as we like to kayak. Cozumel is up in the air. Ncl has about 30 shore excursions but nothing has jumped out at us. We have 12 hours in Cozumel so hopefully we can fill them.
Nov 18th, 2004, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Hey kazamm,
Everything I've heard about doing any outings in Belize City itself have been soundly put down as have any non-water related activities in Roatan. The cave tour is highly chatted about on-line as a Belize outing. I find the NCL tours kinda blah myself, and they're not all that cheap either.