Notices

Costa shore excursions

Oct 4th, 2016, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

Costa shore excursions

I am doing a Costa Diadema (first time Costa) cruise after Christmas and are undecided as to which excursion I should do as I really want to see all three places. Which town would you chose: Aix en Provence, Arles or Avignon. I love the history aspect but also just walking around and taking the atmosphere in.
Oct 4th, 2016, 02:01 PM

Assume it is the port in Marseille. I have been to all three and would go to Aix for the day. I stayed a few days each in Aix and Arles and spent a long day in Avignon. If I ever get to return, I would stay again in Aix.

I like Arles, for the Van Gogh connection and the Roman arena and other Roman ruins (which is neat if you have not seen much Roman architecture), but it is further and, IMHO, not nearly as pretty as Aix. It would be my second choice.

Unless you are dead set on the Palace of the Popes, then Avignon is more of a city atmosphere and not as sweet just walking around as Aix or as interesting as Arles.

Aix looks as if it is the setting for impressionists' paintings, and, of course, it was (as was Arles). It has lovely little streets and squares lined with little shops and outdoor cafes, adorned with window boxes filled with trailing vines and flowers. The Main Street, Cours Mirabeau, is wide, with fountains and shaded by magnificent Plane trees. There is also the studio of Cezzanne and a lovely market.

You won't go wrong with any of them though.
Oct 5th, 2016, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advise above. I think Aix it will be! - so looking forward to it.

Search this Thread