Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Concerns about #Passengers on new Caribbean Princess

Feb 28th, 2004, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

We are considering a cruise on the Caribbean Princess but it seems like it may have an issue with f passengers for size? Comparing it to a Voyager class of RCL like Explorer or other Voyager ship - the comparison is:

Caribbean Princess 950 ft in length
3110 passengers
1116,00 gross tonage

Voyager RCL 1020 ft in length
3114 passengers
138,000 gross tonage
Wondering if we will feel crowded - or just not that much of a difference as we may think?
Sailed on Brilliance RCL Radiance class and it had 962 ft in length, 2301 passengers and 90,090 tonages - didn't feel crowed. Would love to hear from experienced cruisers. Thank you.
May 25th, 2004, 04:34 AM
Singletail

You are making one assumption here that may, or may not, be correct: that the ship will be fully booked and it may not be.
You are also assuming that the staffs on all these ships are equal in terms of service quality, attention to detail, etc. They may or may not be.

If you didn't "feel crowded" on the other ships I somehow doubt you'll feel that way on the Princess vessel.
Have a great cruise!

May 25th, 2004, 08:49 AM

We were on Grand Princess 2 years ago. I believe that this was similar to the Carribbean Princess. Ship was full but very well designed. DId not feel crowded at all....
May 26th, 2004, 11:03 AM
RBR

Would like to give you a quick formula to determine how much "elbow room" you will have on the Caribbean Princess.

The gross tonage of the ship has nothing to do with the weight of the ship, it is a number that reflects how much passenger space is on the ship.

For example the Caribbean Princess has a gross tonage of 116,000 and a pssenger count of 3,110. What you need to do is divide the gross tonage by the number of passengers; this will give you number of 37.30. Now this number means nothing to you by itself but when you compare it to other ships you will see the higher number will give you mor "elbow room"

Voyager, 138,000 divided by 3,114 gives you number of 44.32

Brilliance, 90,090 divided by 2,301 gives you number of 39.15

So as you can see the Voyager would give you a feeling of more space than the Carribean Princess. Hope this helps.
May 26th, 2004, 01:09 PM

I have never been on such a large ship so I'm not speaking from personal experience. What I have read is that Many people feel that the huge mega ships recently built are just too large. It sounds like they're beautiful and certainly well maintained but you loose a lot of the intimacy and pampering that you may feel on smaller ships. Some say that you lose the feeling of even being on a ship. Although there isn't necessarily a feeling of being crowded, I've read complaints that there is just too much distance to get from point A to point B or back to your cabin again even if you're in good physical shape. Also, more time spent waiting in lines and such.
Again, these are just some things I've read in reviews but factors you may want to consider when selecting the perfect ship for your needs.
May 29th, 2004, 08:03 PM
MMSF

I think the quality of food declines as ship gets larger. My theory is that when the # of passenger goes above a certain level, say 1,500, kitchen just cannot keep up. I'm sure they got more help and a bigger kitchen, but the quality coming out gets poor.

May 31st, 2004, 03:16 AM

We went on the Voyager, and LOVED it.
It's so big, you would never imagine that it holds so many people. Everyone is so spread out. The Caribbean Princess should be similar. Princess is wonderful. Go and have a great time.
May 31st, 2004, 04:49 PM

My family just returned from the Caribbean Princess Eastern Caribbean cruise on May 29. There is a feeling of more people on this ship than on the Sea or Coral Princess that we sailed in the recent past. Having said that, the cruise was great and some thoughtful planning allowed us to avoid the crowds and never had to wait for meals or miss any of the multiple shows. The mega ships do offer more and varied activities; we would certainly go on this ship again although I suspect that we will go slightly smaller in the future.
Jun 1st, 2004, 04:01 AM

cdfev
What did you think of your cabin? Which deck? Three friends and I have two balcony cabins for July 31 sailing. Any suggestions for what to pack for formal nights? I'd love to hear your opinions and recommendations since you've "been there, done that." Thanks!
Jun 2nd, 2004, 02:14 PM

We have enjoyed several cruises on the Grand, one of the biggest ships and it was fully booked each time. There are a lot of people, but it's easy to find quiet places- the disco during the day, for example. The Princess ships I've been on are very well designed with lots of places to go.
Jun 5th, 2004, 12:51 PM

Simpson 510:

The cabins are typical Princess and are very nice. We had one outside balcony (category BE) on the Baja Deck and one interior (category J) on the Baja deck. Both were good for 2 people but three would be a squeeze. The bathrooms are standup showers and small.

The formal nights were about 25 % tux, 50 % dark suit, and 25 % whatever. The women mostly wore nice dresses but not many full length formal gowns.

There is room for getting away from the crowds although I thought that the main pools were usually pretty crowded and finding a lounge chair was difficult.

Make a reservation in the first hour that you are on the ship for the personal choice dining for the week. It can always be cancelled and changed.
Jun 6th, 2004, 07:42 AM
MMSF

Which itenary? For Caribean the size of ship doesn't make any difference, because the ports are set up for it, and the ship is the vacation. There aren't really any serious sight seeing anyway. For Europe I'd go with a smaller ship. Can you imagine 3,000 passengers decending on Venice all at once? Just the wait for the tenders!

Jul 31st, 2004, 02:22 PM

I think RBR struck the nail on the head! Heck I'd never sail on a ship with a 38.3333 or below!!