Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Concerned about sick ships! (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/concerned-about-sick-ships-275124/)

Melanie Nov 22nd, 2002 06:12 AM

Concerned about sick ships!

We are booked for our first cruise, which is really a delayed honeymoon for us. We are taking the Princess Sea southern Caribbean itinerary, departing from San Juan on Dec. 14. I’m very concerned about the news reports this week about the two “sick ships” (Holland America and Disney I believe) that originate in Ft. Lauderdale. Any words of wisdom to calm my nerves on this issue???

Lew Nov 22nd, 2002 06:26 AM

There is no way anyone but yourself can calm jangled nerves, especially since the root cause of the virus remains unknown.<BR><BR>My take is the risk is lower than being hurt everytime you drive out of your driveway....but that's only a feel.<BR><BR>Unfortunately, we do not live in a risk free world.

Starfish Nov 22nd, 2002 06:35 AM

Disney sails from Port Canaveral.<BR>Hal sails from Ft. Lauderdale.<BR><BR>Princess has had no reports on the virus yet.<BR><BR>NCL and Celebrity both had reports of it in the past month.<BR>

xxx Nov 22nd, 2002 06:36 AM

Melanie, I haven't heard anything about Princess lines. I am also on a S. Carribean cruise out of San Juan on RC. When traveling there is always a risk if it isn't one thing it is another.It is the germs on the plane, it is spoiled food, or it is the difference in the water in Mexico. What can we do? What are the options? Just stay home and no go anywhere. No sense in making yourself sick, worrying about becoming sick. It is wasted energy. No one can make you feel better or worse but yourself. Just be happy you are going, have a good time, it will be fine I am sure.

Cheryl Dec 28th, 2002 04:30 PM

Enjoy your cruise. Just keep your hands away from your face, eyes, mouth, thats how the germs are spread.

xxx Dec 28th, 2002 07:05 PM

Melanie should have returned by now. I wonder if she got sick. She should let us know.

Paul Therault Dec 28th, 2002 09:45 PM

Although the news services do not usually report anything positive I have not heard of any Norwalk Type Virus in the past couple of weeks.<BR><BR>Apparently, as with this virus in the past, it disappears as fast as it arrives in areas around the world.<BR><BR>Could it be Santa took it away or even better that Little Guy that was born on Christmas Day.<BR><BR>Paul<BR>

nicethoughts Dec 29th, 2002 05:17 AM

Paul those are very nice thoughts, you have there. I hope this is true. I will be sailing out of PR in 3 1/2 weeks. I do hope this is true. Happy New Year to you.

Starfish Dec 29th, 2002 07:22 AM

I found this on 12/27. I did not copy the entire article, but Norwalk was suspected on RCI Majesty of the Seas.<BR><BR>KEY WEST, Fla. -- Officials from Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines removed about 75 passengers from a ship and sent them to Miami by bus from Key West, after those guests fell ill during a four-day sail to the Bahamas, officials said

Bill Jan 1st, 2003 05:02 PM

Find the CDC website. Don't have full address but is easy to find. They have alot about ships but don't seem alarmed over outbreaks which they say only affected 1or 2 percent of those aboard.Thier concern starts at 3%.Remember there is 2 to 3 thousand people in close proximity to each other and any sickness can spread easily. I wouldn't worry.

Paul Therault Jan 1st, 2003 09:59 PM

Since there are approximately 80,000 passengers sailing out of U.S. ports every weekend I would say your chances are slim you will get sick.<BR><BR>Don't worry unnecessarily.<BR><BR>Enjoy,<BR><BR>Paul