Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Coast of Maine Windjammer cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/coast-of-maine-windjammer-cruises-647738/)

katybird Sep 20th, 2006 05:53 AM

Coast of Maine Windjammer cruises

I just received a packet of info from the Maine Windjammer Association.
I would be interested in feedback from anyone who has done this type of cruise.
Was it smooth sailing? What boat? How was the food? How many days do you recommend?

jcasale Sep 21st, 2006 09:00 AM

My aunt has done the windjammer cruises. I assume you are looking at one of the ones out of Camden? Smooth sailing is hard to predict because the weather in Maine is so changeable. But there won't be huge swells. The windjammers tend to stay more in the bays and so they are protected behind the islands. Penobscot Bay can get a bit rough (it also depends on the time of year), but we often see them up in Blue Hill Bay and Morgan Bay and those tend to be pretty protected. I believe she did a three night cruise with a friend of hers. She tends to be pretty picky and complains if things aren't to her liking and she said it was very enjoyable. Sorry I can't help you more on the food and comfort of the boat. Obviously it's not like being on a Princess ship :-P! But the area inwhich you will be sailing is some of the best sailing anywhere!

katybird Sep 21st, 2006 10:31 AM

I'm so happy to see your reply!
Yes, they sail from Camden and Rockland. We love Maine and spend a week or so renting on the coast every year and thought this would be a fun thing to do at the beginning or end of our time there.

jcasale Sep 22nd, 2006 07:02 PM

We have a place on the coast on go there every summer. Manytimes we see the windjammers sail up the bay right in front of our house. I keep thinking it would be fun to take a cruise on one. One of these days I may have to take the plung and look into it. I agree that it would be a fabulous way to start or end your vacation in Maine. What part of the coast do you normally go to?

katybird Sep 23rd, 2006 05:01 AM

We like to roam around so we have stayed in Boothbay Harbor, Lubec, Jonesport and most recently on Martin Point in the Friendship area. We have had good luck finding private cottages through cyberrentals.

Shar Sep 23rd, 2006 02:36 PM

We are a couple in our late 50's and 2 years ago we did a 4 night sail on the Mary Day which is a schooner(?) out of Camden Maine. It sailed Penobscot Bay We did their last cruise for the season at the end of OCtober.

1. This is tight quarters - rather like campling on water - nothing luxurious
2. You "work" the ship (if you want to) - helping pull up the anchor, hoist the sails
3. No radio, TV allowed but plenty of games, time for reading or conversation and certainly time to enjoy the views.
4. OCtober was a bit chilly - we needed heavier clothing but then we are from California so we didn't know what to expect. Our weather is lovely in October.
5. Can't say enough about the food - fabulous and all that you want. The food was cooked on a wood burning stove
and everything made from scratch.

6. Wonderful picnic one day of lobster cooked right on the beach with lots of salads, breads, veggies.

7. Not for everyone though. You have to like roughing it as there is no shower. Well, there was one but I only used it once as it was in the "Head" - it was like the nozzel on your sink that you use for rinsing dishes. So I was glad to reach our B&B after the trip to take a real shower.

8. You have drinking water on board but if you want any soft drinks, wine, etc. you have to bring it aboard.

Loved it but then again you have to like roughing it.

katybird Sep 23rd, 2006 05:54 PM

Shar..thanks so much for the info. Oh! Oh! The shower business does not sound good! I realize from the brochures one doesn't have their own private bathroom but most do state "fresh water hot shower" and some say 2 showers. I wonder if they are what you described.I ahve a brochure for the MAry Day and it states Hot, fresh water showers .
It sure does seem like pretty tight quarters but I don't imagine we would spend much time in the cabin.
We are thinking of a 4 day next Sept.
Thanks again,jcasale and shar