Question about free-style dining

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2007, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are about to experience our first free style dining cruise aboard NCL. It is there new ship "The Pearl." There is no "formal night" on this cruise? So anyone can dress how they please any night of the cruise? Is this a correct assumption? My husband doesn't need a suit? Or do men still dress in suits one night? Thanks.
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 01:07 PM

There should be one "optional formal" night. Less than half of the folks on my recent NCL cruises dressed up and then not nearly as much as on other lines.

Men wore suits or sport coats and ladies sparkly tops with slacks or shirts.

It is not correct that anything goes, as they do not allow shorts or jeans in the main dining rooms for dinner. Le Bistro is the nicest of the restaurants and people made a bit more of an effort.

But, yes, it is pretty casual and no, you do not have to dress up.
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. We like that one formal dinner picture so dressing up one night would be fine for us. Another question, is the speciality restaurants food the same only different presentation/service as the main dining rooms? I have found that to be the case on former cruises such as RCL.
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 07:30 AM

No, it is not. I mostly used the sushi bar and Le Bistro simply because I did not like the food or service in the main (free) dining rooms.

I have to disagree that RCI has the same food. We are just off the Jewel (49 RCI cruises) and dined in specialty restaurants every night. The food is much better quality and prepared to order. It is worth it to for the adult atmosphere and the significantly better food and service.
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 11:14 AM

I am not sure if it is true for every NCL ship BUT first night is half off in specialty restaurants. Get on the ship early because making a reservation can be tricky. Upon embarking you will get a coupon book, so browse and find those coupons. Surf and turf (lobster/mignon)for $20 is a treat!
And yes you can dress up but no you do not have to. I was amuzed seeing ladies in diamonds in line with ladies in sun dresses. Looked little like a madhouse.LOL
So dress plain and nice and you'll be among majority.
Have fun
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 12:00 PM

Or, dress up and stand out as I prefer Being in the majority has never been particularly important to me.
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

That is great info about the coupons and half off. That is exactly what I would want, the lobster/fillet migon. That must be the Cagney steakhouse. If I choose only one that would be choice. Do you have to wait to make reservations till we are on board? Can't we make them prior to boarding as in now?
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 04:24 AM

I think you can try. Go to their website, loads of info. I've heard however people were told to make in on board. But there are forms to download and fax, maybe there is a way to book in advance. Read up and enjoy your cruise.