Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Civitavecchia-Rome train or taxi? (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/civitavecchia-rome-train-or-taxi-122112/)

Susan May 4th, 2001 04:08 PM

Civitavecchia-Rome train or taxi?

We are cruising into Civitavecchia and would like to know if anyone has experience taking the train from Civitavecchia to Rome Termini Station. Is it worth the hassle or opt for taxi or limo service? I heard that the train costs $20 plus seat reservation charge per person for 1st class and taxi or limo costs $100 per car. Any advise appreciated.

Surlok May 4th, 2001 07:28 PM

I haven't used the train myself . We took the complimentary cruise line bus into the Rome, and from there we took a taxi. <BR> <BR>The only problem that I see in using the train is luggage. I traveled by train in northern Italy, and setting up the suitcase into the train is a nighmare. I couldn't check the luggage in, but I'm not sure that is the same in Civitavecchia or Rome. <BR> <BR>Besides, the train station, albeit being close to the port, is not close enough if you have heavy, or many pieces of luggage, and not far enough that a taxi driver would be eager to do the ride from the port to the station, or vice versa. <BR> <BR>Surlok

Andy May 5th, 2001 02:56 AM

if you don't use the cruise bus, then take a private car service. <BR>Email Andrea at :[email protected] --he is very prompt in answering and cost is approx. 230,000 lire...esp.nice if you have lots of luggage and don't want to be on bus like a sardine

Barbara Weinstein May 5th, 2001 08:31 AM

We took the train into Rome for the day and it was just fine. There are many trains running all day and it wasn't necessary to take first class. Other family members opted to take the bus which the cruiseline ran (but not complementary - costs about $130 for a tour five years ago.) and lost 3 hours mired down in traffic. Also we ended up seeing more than they did on their tour.

Susan May 5th, 2001 12:42 PM

Thanks all for your input. I knew there were reasons why most people did not take the train in my situation. Even with minimal luggage, it's not easy. I've done the train travel through Italy and now that I'm older , I like the cruises. I heard about people walking to the nearest train station from Civitavecchia port but we only have one day in Rome and saving time outweigh saving cost this time. I've done the budget thing in my past where it wasn't worth saving a dollar here and there. But on the other hand we did spend too much last time we arrived at Civitavechia. We paid the cruiseline $100 each to go to Rome airport. We couldn't get return air the next day and had to fly out the same day of arrival. Since we had to catch an early flight out, we were nervous about finding a taxi and missing the flight. This time we will try to arrange a limo.

Andy May 7th, 2001 07:42 PM

Susan- you will love Andrea--his cost is actually less than the cruise line and their bus--and gets you door to door. You'll just have to tell him what time to pick you up and make sure cruise line lets you disembark early in order to make the car service.

Susan May 24th, 2001 03:42 PM

Thanks, Andy. <BR> <BR>I wrote to Andrea and got a quote of $130 for the two of us from Civitavecchia to hotel in Rome and $30 for hotel to airport the next day.

Phim May 28th, 2001 04:38 PM

Susan <BR> <BR>It is very easy to take train from Civitavecchia to Rome,Either Termini Station or St pietro Station which is very close to Vatican City . I did it last week <BR>by taking taxi from Port to tain Station cost about US$10 per taxi for 6 passengers and thr RT train cost 13,000 <BR>Lires when you buy 5 persons at one time. The train took about 1 hour and the second class has plenty of seats ,no need to reserve .The train that we took <BR>depart Civitavecchia at 8.38 am and arrive St Pietro Station at 9.25am and Rome Termini at 9.48 am.Train No 2335. <BR>The return Trip start from Rome Termini at 16.12 pm (No 2344) and arrive Civitavecchia at 17.19 pm .Very smooth and you can find Metro, Taxi and bus infront of Train Station to connect to other interesting places. <BR>More questions please direct to my E mail.Have fun on your travel.Phim

Andy May 28th, 2001 10:08 PM

Susan- I used Andrea at limoservice last week. To let you know how terrific he is-he and his driver came to the airport to meet me. Our plane was 2 hrs late (due to Rome air traffic controllers going on a walkout!--for 2 hrs!) Andrea and our driver were both there with a card and our names just as we exited customs. It took us 45 min. for the airport to unload our luggage and luckily I had a european cell phone with me, as I gave Andrea my no. and switched on the phone the minute the plane landed. He is WONDERFUL-you will love him and PLEASE TELL HIM ANDREA SAYS HELLO!!!!!!!!