Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Civitavecchia port - what to do if we don't go to Rome

Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be cruising with Norwegian Jade in November on the Eastern Med route. We have one day in Civitavecchia. We were in Rome for a week in March. While we can definetely think of things to do and places to see again, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for someplace other than Rome to spend the 12 hours in port.
Old Jun 24th, 2009, 07:00 AM

I'm not an expert on Civitavecchia but, based on my only visit there two years ago, I would say that there isn't much to do there. Maybe do some shopping at a flea market, have some ice cream... Here is a Virtual Tourist thread on Civitavecchia's "highlights": http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel...tavecchia.html.

Anyway, if I were you, I would definitely go back to Rome. Do some research and find hidden gems, less popular attractions, small museums. Just walking around Rome is worth the train ride.
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 04:36 AM

If you aren't opposed to going on ship tours, they will offer alternatives to Rome. We went on a wine tasting tour. I believe a beach tour was offered ( or that may have been Florence) You won't have a problem finding something else to do. You might even want to relax on the ship while it's practically empty.
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 07:40 AM

There are many alternatives to Rome. You could rent a car (some of the majors will pick you up on the pier) and drive North into Tuscany. Or private tours to Viterbo, Ostia Antico, or, if you have a lot of time, Siena could be arranged. There is also a bus into town from just beyond the cutoms gate. That will get you close enough to the train station to go into Rome on your own. So far as I know, no ship's tour will take you to the Museo Bogrhese. That's a must if you have not seen it since the renovation was completed in the fall of 2002.
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 11:53 AM

We were on a 2008 cruise that went to Civitavecchia. As 3 of us had been to Rome, we decided to take the train into Rome and visit the Jewish Ghetto and Trastevere section. From the cruise ship we saw the shuttle buses to take you to the entrance of the port. From there we walked to the train station. Bought ticket (BIRG) for 6 Euros roundtrip each and took the train into Trastsevere Station - this ticket worked for the trolley we took. Here's a URL giving directions: http://www.europeportreviews.com/Rome2.htm
Use the website www.trenitalia.com. (Look for English at the top of the page)You are coming from Civitavecchia to Termini. There are many trains each day and they take about 1hr17min to reach the city. You can buy your ticket from the automated machines in the station. The trains are on time (less a strike). Select Trenitalia and then look at the timetable and schedules. If you select a train and then select info as it will tell you the different stations. Hope this helps.
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Original Poster

Having just spent a week in rome a couple months ago, I am leaning towards seeing someplace else in the area - possibly
Viterbo or Ostia antica. I think we can get a train from civitavecchia to pyramide then the metro to ostia - but I'm unsure how long that would take.
Or if we decided on Viterbo, is there a bus connecting the two? They don't seem far apart on the map, but train connections would be via Rome for 2 hours each way. We are trying to hold down excursion costs so don't really want to rent a car for a day, hire a taxi for the day, or book a tour.
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 02:06 PM

We are going to be in Civita... and my husband is interested in WW11 sites. We are going by train to Rome, 1 hour +/- then change to a train to Anzio, 1 hour +/-. In Anzio is the beachead where the British & Americans invaded Italy to save the country, then Nettuno-3km away by taxi is the site of the American cemetary.

There is time to visit the area and make it back. Alot of sites in Europe for those who are interested.

MaryAnn
Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 08:33 PM

ttt
Old Jul 3rd, 2009, 07:41 AM

Do Ostia. We did your cruise last Nov. and did a ship's excursion to Ostia. The guide we had was the best one on the entire cruise-and we did b2b with 24 days on the Jade. Whatever you do, enjoy the Jade. She is beautiful.
Old May 24th, 2010, 04:43 PM

Those of you who have gone to other places than Rome, please share your experience and the logistics. Thanks!

Any small cute town near the port that we could visit? Hikes?
Old May 24th, 2010, 05:16 PM

Five years ago on our first european cruise we went with a group instead Rome to Tuscanny, Orvieto to be exact.. gorgeous
Old Nov 16th, 2010, 08:35 AM

Lots of lovely towns, Etruscan sites, Renaissance gardens and castles, great restaurants and local specialities such as bruschetta with extra virgin olive oil, inexpensive wines. A website about the area elegant etruria gives tons of info
Old Dec 29th, 2010, 04:11 PM

Kathcoll--just wrote a reply to your Jade trip report of January 2010. I took it with me when we went in November (2010). It was great.

We too had been in Rome November 19, 2009 and then Nov 23, 2010 on the Jade.So what to do in Rome? Took the Scavi tour at the Vatican. You can take a tour on online but it is the original area where Vatican Hill, Constantine's church and St. Peter is buried.The 1 1/2 hour tour was excellent. It was the top highlite of my 12 days cruise and month long trip to Portugal. Bought the tics online before we left as tours are limited and the number of participants in each tour is limited.

The Colesseum also had opened the lower area and top row of the ruin but I believe it was only going to be opened from Oct 19-Nov 30, 2010 but you might check it out. That was very interesting.

Our other option rather than doing both of the above was Ostia Antica and we were really torn, so will do that the next time. But I had plotted it out, checked out local busses (none), so the only way to get there is by train to Rome and out to Ostia. My previous questions to Fodorites on feasibility of such a trip did not seem doable (search Ostia Antica). Regards. jk