Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Christmas on a Christmas River Cruise (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/christmas-on-a-christmas-river-cruise-991073/)

keelx2 Sep 6th, 2013 01:47 PM

Christmas on a Christmas River Cruise

We've signed up for a AmaWaterways Rhine River Christmas Market cruise that will take place over Christmas itself. This is my first river cruise and I'm really looking forward to it. But I do have one question: do the ships do anything special on Christmas Day itself? I've read how the ships are decorated for the holidays but nothing about anything special that the crew/cruise company does--entertainment? meals?

No matter what the answer, I'm still committed to and looking forward to this cruise, but I am curious.

doug_stallings Sep 6th, 2013 07:02 PM

Yes in mat cases they have a special Chrstmas dinner.

keelx2 Sep 8th, 2013 01:10 PM

Thank you.

southeastern Sep 13th, 2013 06:08 PM

They also have Christmas tree decorating, cooking something associated with Christmas, sometimes a glass blower, church services offered. Santa usually delivers a gift to your room. It's all very festive and fun. you will enjoy especially wandering around the towns decorated and drinking mulled wine. Great way to spend Christmas.

Dukey1 Sep 15th, 2013 07:08 AM

Obviously a lot depends on the cruise line you are using wouldn't you think????

rebeccawilliams Oct 6th, 2013 08:02 AM

Yeah..that is really true, all depends on the cruise line which you choose. There a lot of cruise lines to choose from which offers different services. So its easy to choose according to your interest. I'm planning my next cruise with disney. My very first trip was with blount adventures.
http://blountsmallshipadventures.com...hould-i-bring/

southeastern Oct 9th, 2013 07:42 AM

I believe the heading said "river cruise" and at Christmas all of the riverboat cruises we looked at indicated Christmas activites. The riverboats stop at the Christmas markets and that is one of their selling points. It's like stepping into a Hallmark Christmas card. Delightful and festive. This Dec. will be our 3rd one.

bettyk Oct 9th, 2013 01:53 PM

In order to be competitive, most of the river cruise companies tend to offer the same amenities but it's good to have input from someone who has actually done one.

keelx2 Dec 14th, 2013 09:47 AM

Well, I did say it was a river cruise and gave the company name, saying I was committed. And I particularly asked about Christmas day.

But thank you everybody who gave responses, even if they weren't particularly applicable to the question.

Bettyk, you are right. It would have been nice to have input from someone who has actually done one.

SusieQQ Dec 15th, 2013 03:12 AM

I think you can find your answer on Cruise Critic.

Luv2travel15 Dec 15th, 2013 02:46 PM

Hi keelx2, don't know if this will help you but we did a Christmas Markets River Cruise about 3 years ago. It was our first river cruise and we loved the experience. The Christmas Markets are so much fun and if the markets are operating when you go you will love the experience!

We went the first week of December and not during Christmas itself so I can't tell you what happens on Christmas Day itself. However, there is a lot of festivity taking place on these cruises. It changed our whole perspective about Christmas after our cruise. Everything is so commercialized here in the USA and totally different in Europe. We traveled on GCT and they had a Christmas tree in the lobby and each cabin had a chocolate christmas tree (edible) in our cabin window! Of course, we had to eat it. Lol

We had a glass blower onboard who gave a demonstration of his skills and you could purchase some of his Christmas ornaments after the demo. Kris Kringle came one night and left presents outside our cabins. The markets had all kinds of food you could purchase. The smells of the sausages cooking were to die for. You could wander from stall to stall and sample some of the wonderful German foods. We noticed how family-oriented it was at the markets. Parents and children (even pets) would browse the markets and sample the "gluehwein" and other delectable goodies. It was a wonderful experience.

So to answer your question, yes the ship we were on was very festive and Christmasy. Entertainment is usually only a piano player or other entertainment on a river cruise. Sometimes they will bring the local entertainers onboard to entertain the ship. We did not have this experience tho, only one of the crew playing the piano. All in all, it is a very festive time on a river cruise. We loved it and can't wait to go on another one. You will enjoy it also. Good luck.
Have a wonderful cruise.

Alecia_Travels Jan 8th, 2014 12:23 PM

I'm hoping someone may still check in on this forum. Specifically to southeastern--which cruise line did you take your 3 Christmas cruises on? I'm looking into the Christmas Markets this year and would love some perspective on the different river cruises; good, bad & ugly.

Thanks!