Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   childs fear of cruising (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/childs-fear-of-cruising-870250/)

nhtraveler13 Dec 19th, 2010 10:40 AM

childs fear of cruising

We want a cruise to be our vacation in April.However,our 12 yr old daughter does not want to go on a cruise as she fears that the ship can sink due to it's immense size.She does not have a problem being on a 30 ft boat in the Atlantic. The larger the boat,the more fear she has. It may sound ridiculous,but has anyone experienced the same problem and how did they handle it ? We know that once on the shp,she would have a great time and we would probably never see her.Many say just book the cruise and she will have to go,but that is a great financial risk

Dayenu Dec 19th, 2010 10:51 AM

This would be the worst mistake you make as a parent to force your child to do something against your child's fear. Don't listen to idiots who say just book the cruise.

Ask if she would go on a short cruise, or on a cruise that does not have sea days. Maybe a small boat cruise? Or a river cruise? A combo of land and sea or river? There must be options.

Would it make a difference for her if the cabin is inside, or window, or balcony? Can you take one of her friends with you?

Just don't make your daughter be sick with fear of her parents forcing her into things she's afraid of for the rest of her life.

traveller69 Dec 19th, 2010 02:21 PM

Why don't you explain to her the lifeboat drill prior every cruise ship has prior to sailing. There are some on Youtube to watch. You could explain that if there were a problem she would put on a life jacket and get into a smaller boat. You said she doesn't have a problem being on a 30 ft boat in the Atlantic and that is where she would be if indeed there was any kind of problem.

Aristotle Dec 19th, 2010 03:58 PM

The childs fear is irrational. Therefore, rational arguments are not going to work. If you want to do this cruise with her, you need professional assistance. She may have other fears also. Don't take them lightly because you don't understand them or they are inconvenient.

qwovadis Dec 20th, 2010 04:56 AM

phobias.about.com/od/phobiaslist/qt/Cruise-Ship-Phobia.htm

Not too uncommon usually a little cognitive behavioral therapy

does the trick... find a pediatric therapist of quality

and do as he/she directs...

P_M Dec 21st, 2010 12:24 PM

I have learned the hard way not to twist someone's arm into taking a trip they don't want to take. That person will be miserable and ruin the trip for everyone. I hope your child can overcome this fear, but unless that happens in advance I would not force this issue. Good luck.

GalvestonTom Dec 22nd, 2010 11:56 PM

I'm a 26 year old guy and still remember vacations my parents made me and my brother go on, which we had absolutely no interest in going to. I'm not like "mad" about it now, but I do think that if my parents acted a bit differently, it would have been an opportunity for a fun memory instead of a boring one together. I think your question is really a parenting question though, not quite a "cruise ship" question, don't you? :)

But I think that topic (parenting) could get a bit overwhelming to figure out. But no, your question doesn't sound ridiculous at all.

I don't have kids, but maybe you could find a type of vacation that both you and your child would like? I know...maybe not what you wanted to hear if your heart's set on a cruise. Fears are irrational most of the time. Overcoming them = I think has to be something the person wants to do = maybe the best you can do is sincerely listen to your kid and hear what they have to say, and just "talk it out", and let them know you're "open to a different kind of vacation" but that you do want to discuss it together.

Personally, I'd not be the kind of person to FORCE my child (if and when I have kids) to do something.

But decide:
- would you rather your daughter learn how to make decisions, or should you as an all-knowing parent decide for them what to do?
- would you rather prioritize a vacation that YOU personally are in love with, or is it worth it to instead prioritize a mutually fun time for the whole family where everyone has a good time and gets to share that together (instead of risking a vacation being ruined by fighting and resentment?)

Yup, there I go making a mountain out of a molehile :) Hope my thoughts don't really make you feel guilty, let us know how this ends up working out though either way!

GalvestonTom Dec 25th, 2010 11:19 AM

Hey, I actually thought about this post when I saw this other article. Nevermind everything I said and just show your daughter this website, a 24 hour montage of pictures on a cruise ship:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/interact...e-of-the-seas/

Almost certainly, problem solved! :-)

jacketwatch Dec 26th, 2010 07:26 AM

Ask your pediatrician for advice.

socaltraveler Jan 2nd, 2011 07:15 PM

Surely you can find another type of vacation to take in April? It hardly matters if her fear is 'irrational'; it's real to her. In other words, what's the point of forcing her into an uncomfortable situation - go without her if you really must take this cruise, or wait until she grows up a little. It's a vacation, isn't it?