Search

Best cruise ship memory

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Best cruise ship memory

What is yours?

Mine is sailing out of Antigua on the Star Flyer at midnight, the sails going up, the wind in my face, and the Columbus music blaring on the loud speakers.

What is yours?
Old Oct 19th, 2008, 06:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good topic. We have several but the most prominent is cruising thru Tracy Arm while on the Sapphire. I'll never forget the serene beauty we saw from our balcony.
Old Oct 19th, 2008, 09:43 AM

In March 2006 I had the worse "cabin fever" I had ever experienced (very real phenomenom!). DH and I went online and booked a 3-day cruise out of FL leaving immediately! The best cruise ship memory for me was when I was laying out on pool deck with a "blessed" fruit punch on my hands and the sun beating down on me....and we were still on embarkation port!! It was heaven. Huge fan of cruises.
Old Oct 20th, 2008, 03:55 AM

The best memories I have are the days that we didn't book a shore excursion and explored on our own...
Old Oct 20th, 2008, 08:43 AM

Best: looking out of the window before bedtime, huge stars in the dark sky, white foam on the waves below.

Worst: 2 days ago saw Celebrity ready to sail through Panama Canal from San Francisco, I was ready to cry! It's a serious withdrawal from June to January
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 07:35 AM

I hesitate to call this best, but it was perhaps the most intense.

My very first cruise was June of 2002 on the Love Boat for our first wedding anniversary.

As we sailed for Bermuda from New York harbor, everyone gathered at the rail for a quiet moment where we looked over at toward the shore 'where the twin towers used to be'.
Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 01:54 PM

I was married on the Voyager of the Seas. As the ship pulled out of Bayonne, I was still wearing my wedding dress and my husband was in his suit. We had just had a wonderful reception on board and said goodbye to our friends and family and were alone.

We passed under the Verrazano Bridge and what a great feeling it was. You feel like you can touch the bridge. This is truly a beautiful sight and one I will always remember!
Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 02:06 PM

A bad day at a cruise is still better than a good day at the office ....

Too many great moments and even when they are not that great, refer back to the first comment above.

Less than a month to go on the next cruise ... brand new ship.

Old Oct 24th, 2008, 08:44 AM

Don't know if its the best but its certainly the funniest.

We did a tour of the Rockies followed by an Alaskan cruise in 2006. We are Brits so we couldn't understand all the furore and excitement of the Stanley Cup after never taking much notice of Ice Hockey at home.

Anyway we got gripped by it as Edmonton the local team were in the final against Carolina. Carolina took a 3-0 lead but Edmonton pegged them back to 3-3.

The cruise on NCL Wind left on Saturday night so we all missed the final game. There were a load of Oilers fans on board and after the show the Cruise director announced that Edmonton had won. The audience went crazy, the Theatre was bedlam for several minutes until the embarrassed guy had to make a correction and tell them Carolina had won. Even I was a little annoyed as I was by then an Oilers fan - the guy nearly got lynched and never lived it down for the rest of the cruise.

A couple of days later I passed him midships and asked him if he knew who won the Stanley Cup. He told me to **** off!!
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 08:14 AM

It would have to be my first Captain's Cocktail party on my first cruise when I was 9 years old. My family took a three night Bahama cruise in 1962 and the cocktail party was so very elegant, the Captain handsome and charming and the entire experience so amazing for me as we never did that type of trip and I was totally impressed!

Old Oct 26th, 2008, 05:59 PM

All of our cruises were great. I think the problems people have when they go on vacation (cruise or otherwise)is that they take themselves with them. If you wanted to be around what you have at home, you should've stayed home. And even these folks, provide us with endless entertainment. LOL. I remember the horrified looks of our fellow Americans in St. Martin (the French side) as they headed back to ship after being exposed to a topless beach or when the cab drivers in Dominica were yelling for their business at the dock and they hightailed it back to the ship missing out on a great island. Always wear sunscreen, a smile, your sense of adventure, your sense of humor and a desire to learn something new and buy travel insurance when travelling. You'll enjoy yourself for the most part and be taken care of when there are problems.
Old Oct 27th, 2008, 05:57 AM

Just returned from a new England cruise and my memorable experience was going out of Brooklyn harbor around the Statue of Liberty with the city in the background.
Old Oct 31st, 2008, 06:19 PM

It's certainly hard to choose, but one high on the list would be cruising into Venice on what was then the largest ship to do so and all eyes lining the Grand Canal fixated on such a beautiful ship. Of course, there was the time that a Jolly Roger excursion deposited its drunken passengers on the dock some 5 minutes before the cruiseship was scheduled to raise its gangplank. I suspect that the person who fell flat on their face scrambling to reach the ship felt no pain.
Old Nov 1st, 2008, 06:39 AM

I have two.

One was waking up on the first day of our honeymoon cruise and looking out of our stateroom window as we sailed by Nevis. It was absolutely gorgeous. It was our first cruise, our first trip together, and a beautiful start 13 years ago.

On our last cruise aboard the Wind Spirit in the Caribbean, we sat on deck one evening - all lights out - and watched a meteor shower. I could have slept out there all night.

I'm trying to think of a truly bad moment.
Old Nov 11th, 2008, 03:40 PM

Watching a bald eagle fly by the deck of our ship just as we entered the harbour in Juneau.
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 02:10 PM

Watching the dolphins swimming and jumping in front of a passing oil tanker in Tampa. That, or the sunset from Belize.
Old Nov 16th, 2008, 04:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hi Everyone; This one is easy. For my 40th wedding anniversary I knew we would board a ship in Basel and cruise to Amsterdam. However, what I didn't know, is my husband had twenty three other people on board to greet me. Imagine, my grandchildren running up the gang plank with a bunch of roses. That was in 2000. We became friends with the KD cruise manager who visited us and we have visited his family in Austria. His son is now in the Vienna Boy's Choir and he will be with us to see his son on December 9th, in Lynn, Mass. The memory continues on. Iris
Old Nov 22nd, 2008, 01:45 PM

Easy...On July 5, 1980 I was at the stern of the Tropicale (Carnivale Cruises) watching the stars and the wake of the ship. My then boyfriend proposed marriage as we both stood there. We were married onboard the Queen Mary on February 14, 1981. We have been cruising since.
Old Nov 28th, 2008, 06:22 PM

leaving Cabo san lucas was very memorable for me visually. It was twilight and the city lights were twinkling and the skies were lit up with a mysterious shade as the sun disappeared. It was just magical.

I also liked when the ship blew its horn as we sailed out on the Disney ship and it was in tune to When you wish upon a star.
Old Nov 29th, 2008, 05:50 AM

Our Millenium Cruise on the OLD, TINY Dolphin IV. We didn't know what we would do for that New Years so found a cabin available on her leaving the NEXT day. Booked it at 10:30AM, left at noon (driving to Port Canaveral from NC coast). Got on board at 1PM the next day.

Told the Maitre'd we needed a good table and he gave us one. There was a piano player in the dining room every night. Our table was right next to Poppy, the piano player. We had his wife, BJ, and a former Spa lady who was subbing for a crew member at out table. Her boyfriend was the bar manager. The waiters all knew them both. 4 waiters sang at our table around us almost every night.

On New Year's eve everyone got souvenir champaign glasses with the ship's name on them and 2000 made up the stem. There was champaign in the glasses but the bar manager sent us a bottle for our table too.

Then we actually docked at Mallory Square - where ships can't be during sunset. So, a tug moved us back by the Navy Pier at 4PM and moved us back at 6PM!

We stayed on the ship but Mallory Square was crazy! We had fireworks on both sides of the ship as well as more champaign.

We'll always remeber this cruise.

The Dolphin was our 1st cruise in the mid 80's, held about 800 passengers so you got to know everyone and the cruise director and his/her staff. Loved this tiny ship, we were on her about 10 times (we cruise a lot)until I think 2002 when it cost to much to fix her and she went to India.

I have a sad picture of her there on the beach before she was taken apart.

We've been on other New Year's cruises but on much bigger ships. This was by far our favorite cruise ever!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -