Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   cell phone on cruise (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/cell-phone-on-cruise-232712/)

Christine Jun 19th, 2002 06:45 PM

cell phone on cruise

Hi-I have a quick question-any problems using cell phones while on the boat? We are looking into one of the Disney cruises and unfortunately need to be able to be reached by phone for business-no rest for the weary!!<BR>Thanks-Christine

Busybee Jun 19th, 2002 07:04 PM

Unfortunately, it seems that yes, cells work fine on ships, as they do in restaurants,stores, bars, everywhere else that people at one time could go relax a little.<BR>Not uncommon to be on a cruise trying to wind down and get away from cells, computers, etc. and have a few of the important types(usually in their own mind) yaking away on their cell.<BR> For your own benefit, if business is so important that you must stay in touch, then you shouldn't go. Other people are paying money to try to get away. Most people don't like to be lying by the pool or sitting reading a book and have to be subjected to someones uninvited phone dribble.<BR>

Paul Therault Jun 19th, 2002 08:23 PM

Hi Christine,<BR><BR>Depends on your server. Don't forget a cell phone only works if there is a tower nearby.<BR><BR>Most cheap phones will work in Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands. In Mexico, Belize, Central America and Caribbean islands you will need a special roaming access code. Erickson phones are the best for international.<BR><BR>Keep in mind that roaming charges and long distance charges are quite high. Would be better to use phone cards in each port.<BR><BR>Check with your server. You will problably have to talk to a supervisor to get the correct infomation.<BR><BR>Paul

techydude Jun 19th, 2002 09:11 PM

Uh that's carrier Paul. Server is for computers. Most plans in the US will cover the Continental US and approx 20 miles off shore. Verizon and Cingular have the best coverage area.<BR><BR>It will also depend on what kind of phone you have since they are changing the coding sytems as we chat. <BR><BR>Your basic new motorola's such as the v120c which is capable of handling all bands available except for Europe & Asiatic countries.<BR><BR>Paul may know his stuff about ships, but he certainly does not know phones.<BR><BR>By the way why bother. You are on vacation.<BR><BR>If you have Verizon you are in luck. They actually have good customer service and can answer most of your questions. In the meantime I will check into this further.

JD3 Jun 20th, 2002 06:19 AM

We did not get a signal on our cell phone last year while cruising the Western Carribean-we have Verizon.

Greg Gallagher Jun 20th, 2002 06:39 AM

I got a clear signal with my cell phone up to 40 miles off shore. Used a Nokia 5160 with Cingular.

Peter Jun 20th, 2002 07:16 AM

Hey Greg - did you ever get any compensation from RCCL for your honeymoon disaster?

Henry Jun 20th, 2002 10:51 AM

PLEASE LEAVE YOUR CELL PHONES AT HOME!!!

caller Jun 20th, 2002 04:58 PM

If the really important types HAVE to talk on their cells whilst on ship,disturbing those who went to get away in the first place, then please be original.Don't use a Nokia or some such--be James Bondish--use you watch, shoe bottom, etc. This would get you the attention you apparently think you need.<BR>

Paul Therault Jun 21st, 2002 01:13 AM

Yah, you're right Techydude, I do not know the lingo but I have looked into cell-phones. Other than that what you said, I said.<BR><BR>My Cingular works fine in the Caribbean but not in Europe.<BR><BR>Paul

JD3 Jun 21st, 2002 05:02 AM

I noticed alot more walkie talkies on our cruise than cell phones-they are just as annoying as cellphones.

Techydude Jun 21st, 2002 05:08 AM

Ok ok I concede Paul. I am going to put this in non-enginese. There are three forms the cellular system use tdma gma & gsm. The US uses the first two primarily. Europe the second. These sytems will hoefully be universalized in the next couple of years allowing our phones to work in Europe and vica versa.<BR><BR>You have to remember one thing with the advent of digital phone systems. Anything digital is either on or off. Unlike analog which will still operate with a weak signal. Goes back to the whole 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 0 thing from computers. I know that is a little nebulous but sometimes it is difficult to translate from enginese to layman terms.

Alex Jun 21st, 2002 05:45 AM

Yes the walkie talkies suck big time. They are far worse than a cell phone because not only do you have to hear the obnoxious person who is near you talking loudly, but you also have to hear some garbled static and a mysterious voice from the child on the other end of the walkie talkie. <BR><BR>Why is it that people talk so loud when they are ona cell phone? Do you people think if you shout it will come out clearer on the other end?

loud Jun 21st, 2002 02:21 PM

A new name is born---"cellies"

Paul Therault Jun 21st, 2002 10:35 PM

Thanks Techydude that is the kind of info I respect. Now don't start on my webtv. I know it's simple.<BR><BR>Paul