Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Celebrity's new ship Millenium-how is it? (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/celebritys-new-ship-millenium-how-is-it-83413/)

janice Aug 19th, 2000 06:44 AM

Celebrity's new ship Millenium-how is it?

Considering the western caribbean cruise in March. Looking for input from anyone who's been on this ship. Thanks!

Ann Aug 19th, 2000 05:23 PM

going on the Med cruise end of Sept. Heard from friends who just got back from Scandanavia that is was great! Had a little motor trouble first cruise out but was super-Olympia restaurant is supposed to be terrific and $12/person additional for this dining room that was sister ship to Titanic? Will let you know early Oct. when we return.

Cliff Oct 16th, 2000 02:32 AM

I sailed in October for my 17th cruise and the Millennium is the nicest ship and the most user friendly of all the ships I've sailed on. Bring something to put your head on while you are using the AquaSpa. Food, service and entertainment was top notch. The ship was beautiful. Get a balcony!

Marilyn Oct 16th, 2000 06:40 AM

Janice, I don't know which week you are looking for in march but thought you might want to be aware that Millennium in chartered for the week of the 11th of March and that only leaves the week of the 25th in the Western Caribbean. Just thought that might help you with your planning. Have a great cruise!

peg Oct 16th, 2000 12:28 PM

Hi -- recommend you look at traveler reviews available at cruisemates.com, cruiseopinion.com, sealetter.com, etc. Cruisemates also has an active message board if you have specific questions. I found folks there helpful. Travelocity, et al, also have cruise sections with reviews and ship info. <BR> <BR>The reviews are about the Baltic sailings, since that's all she's done so far, but the ship is the same--almost all reviews I read were favorable. It is going into drydock next month for 3 weeks to fix some vibration that occurs when the ship is in reverse, but otherwise, hear nothing bad about it. We were going to sail this ship in February, but realized we could get an outside cabin with window on the Century for about $150 less than an inside cabin on the Millenium. Since we don't care if we sail her on her maiden year, this was better for us. <BR> <BR>If price is no object, agree with post above, get a balcony, but from my research, they run about $500-$600 more per person than an inside cabin; and, outside cabins with windows are about $250 more pp than inside cabins. Prices on Millie will probably drop in the next year or two, once the newness wears off. She is THE ship this year, and I think it's likely most sailings will fill up, so I wouldn't expect to find incredible deals on this one this year. <BR> <BR>Have a great trip, regardless of which ship you take--I've seen only great things about Celebrity (except, of course, from those with a bad attitude :-). <BR>Peg

bruce Oct 16th, 2000 07:16 PM

I agree with Peg. Look at the sites she listed, especially crusiemate.com

RICHARD Nov 2nd, 2000 09:40 AM

Janice, <BR>We just sailed on the Millenium in Europe and I must agree, the ship is really beautiful. However, the crew seemed very tired and there was a problem with engine vibration (see the other articles). The crew said that the ship will be dry docked for about 5 weeks and they will be welding a section on to the bottom of the ship to correct the problem. We found the food to be good not great, The Aqua Spa is beautiful but they charge for almost everything. To date, our benchmark is still Holland Americas "Maasdam". Large staterooms, great service, elaborate buffets and excellent food and service. <BR> <BR>The bottom line is that you will love the Millenium and the caribbean is a great cruise but, if Holland America has a similar cruise (on a newer ship) you might check it out. Enjoy you trip !!!

Mary Nov 3rd, 2000 11:42 AM

I just booked a cruise for Sept. in the Med. on the millenium. We sailed on the Galaxy in Alaska in August. Had a wonderful time. I researched many ships and decided the Millenium was the best deal. We booked an inside cabin. My thinking on this is, if you are sailing at night, in port during the day, then why pay for a view you can't see. If we have a lot of "at sea" days then I prefer outside, balcony even better.

Mudpie Nov 6th, 2000 10:47 AM

This is a very nice ship. Had a nice cruise on her, Although, given the choice of a similar itinerary I'd still opt for Holland America over the Millinium or Princes ships. The ships are so large and the service is just not as personalized as on the smaller HAL ships. Also, HAL will include small extras that the other lines will "nickle and dime" you over.

gardenbabe Dec 2nd, 2000 06:39 PM

Had the worst cruise out of 4 on the Millenium in Oct of this year! My husband & I are experienced travelers. We researched all of the options & had high expectations for the highest price we'd paid, so far. <BR> <BR>The ship is gorgeous & huge---the prettiest I've ever seen, but that is where the good stops! <BR> <BR>Crew agrued with passengers, food was so-so, minbar items were posted @ one price & charged @ a higher price w/a tacked on hefty gratuity. Two of the shows were wonderful---Las Vegas/Broadway style! They had a very racially offensive comedian who was funny when talking about the cruise, but really turned people off about nearly everything else. <BR> <BR>They changed our itinerary which dramatically affected how much shopping & siteseeing we could do since we were in several ports on Sundays. <BR> <BR>We were tendered into Monte Carlo & I nearly fell into the Sea because it was pouring, crowded w/ nearly 1500 people trying to get on a 30 seat flat boat to return to the ship & they never tied up! <BR> <BR>The waiters never got our orders right & neither did the cabin stewards! We kept having our table switched to worse & worse locations! I lost 3 lbs which is extremely hard for me to do, but unless you got to the restaurant by 8 ---you were SOL! You then had to stand 45 mins-1hr in a cafeteria line for just ok food. Never any coffee or OJ left in the morning! <BR> <BR>The land tours were SUCH a rip off! Hire a taxi -negotiate a fair price for a day tour or 1/2 day tour & pay @ the end of the day. <BR> <BR>There were so many complaints about this tour, my travel agent says they have appointed 1 special person to take complaints. We felt more rested & pampered on a cheap 3 day cruise to the Bahamas!

Ken Dec 4th, 2000 07:08 PM

Went on the Millennium for its 10/13 10-day voyage. My wife and I have been on the Grand Princess and the Millennium and we liked the Grand better. The fact that the Grand has a 24-hour buffet is appealing because when you get back at 6 or so and have late seating (8:45), you have few to no options other than room service. The Grand has one more pool and 2 more hottubs than Millennium and they stay open longer. The photography department was better on the Grand. The food was no better on Millennium than on the Grand BUT The Olympic is a fantasic experience. Well worth the effort to make the reservation for it as soon as you arrive onboard. <BR> <BR>The service was excellent on the Millennium and we had no major problems at all. There are just some small things that we thought Princess did better than Celebrity. <BR> <BR>Everyone expects something different when travelling, but all-in-all it was a good vacation. We would, however, choose the Grand over the Millennium if the itineraries were the same. But that is just our choice.

tcruiser Jan 26th, 2001 11:45 AM

Janice, <BR> <BR>Hope this isn't too late. The Millennium is a beautiful ship with amazing amenities (great spa, beautiful shops, internet cafe etc). <BR>Shows are good. <BR>Food is very good. <BR>Cabins are perfect. <BR>Service has improved IMMENSELY. <BR> <BR>Yes, I heard there WERE problems before, but they have all been resolved. <BR> <BR>Enjoy whichever cruise you go on. <BR> <BR>T

Paul Therault Jan 28th, 2001 12:48 AM

<BR>I would wait to book the Millenium until they get the propulsion unit repaired for good. Too many problems, too many drydocks. <BR> <BR>Paul

Flora Jan 31st, 2001 05:21 PM

We sailed Millie on her first Caribbean sailing on December 17, which happened to be the Western Caribbean itinerary. I thought the cruise was great-no problems to speak of. <BR> <BR>My complete cruise review with some photos of the ship is posted on my personal website - http://www.e-herbert.com <BR> <BR>The text only version is also posted on cruisecritic.com and cruisemates.com <BR> <BR>Flora