Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page > Celebrity Millennium - VAN to SEWARD. Denali? Excursions?
Notices

Celebrity Millennium - VAN to SEWARD. Denali? Excursions?

May 6th, 2012, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

Celebrity Millennium - VAN to SEWARD. Denali? Excursions?

Hi All-
We have reservations on the Millennium from Vancouver to Seward for the end of July. We are celebrating my parents' 50th anniversary. There are 7 adults and 3 kids (ages 13,11 and 2).
We (likely 5 adults and the 2 yr old) would like to travel to Denali after the cruise (we dock on Fri at 4am) and be on the way home Sun or maybe Mon.
My initial thought is to rent a car/van and drive. Stay Fri PM and Sat PM then leave Sun. So here are my questions:

1. Is it easier to arrange this through the cruise line? I don't see the option on the website (actually no excursions come up!).

2. My mom is status post knee replacement and has limited mobility. Any recommendations for how to see the park? Shuttle bus? Tour bus? Train? I am leaning towards a shuttle bus that we could get on and off. Maybe my mom would hang out with my daughter for an hour or so while we explore.

3. Any excursions you would recommend for the family? Any to avoid?

Thanks for your thoughts!
May 6th, 2012, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

Oops - one more question. Recommendations on lodging at Denali?
May 9th, 2012, 08:41 AM

When we went pre-cruise a few years ago, we rented a car in Anchorage, drove to Denali staying at a B&B near the Park, took the Park shuttle bus into the Park Shuttle Bus trip as far as the Eielson Visitor Center--mile 66 (round-trip was about 8 hours). (Tickets can be bought online in advance.)

Then we drove to Talkeetna where we spent a couple of nights at the Alaskan Lodge. The location for the old TV series "Northern Exposure" was modeled after Talkeetna. There we took an enjoyable river cruise.

We had such great weather that we actually stopped at Talkeetna on the way up to Denali in order to take a flightseeing trip around McKinley. (When you are able to see McKinley, which is rare, you don't pass it up.)

You might want to look into the Toursaver Coupon book if you are going. (www.toursaver.com has a lot of discounts for Alaska activities)

Driving is easy, but distances are great. It is easy to arrange on your own. I did read much useful information on the Cruise Critic Alaska Board.
May 30th, 2012, 01:20 PM

I'd recommend a flight seeing trip as an option. We rented a van and drove up to Anchorage from Seward - beautiful trip! When we got to Anchorage we made a last minute decision to try for a flightseeing trip and the hotel provided a contact. I, of course, can't find the name/number. But it was at sunset and a gorgeous trip! Well worth it!

Search this Thread