Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Casablanca/Agadir guide (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/casablanca-agadir-guide-669909/)

ParrotMom Jan 13th, 2007 07:44 AM

Casablanca/Agadir guide

Hi everybody.. now it's my time to ask for help.. We are cruising to Casablanca and Morocco in December and wonder if anybody has hints and reliable guides... we will probably end up with more than four.. Do not want to buy rugs..lol..but one of the places besides shopping would like to take a tour of the Jewish area. [email protected]

ParrotMom Jan 14th, 2007 04:58 PM

ttt

megdean Aug 20th, 2008 09:43 AM

I wonder how your trip was and if you had success finding a guide. We are going to Morocco on a cruise in Dec. 08 - any tips? Currently we are planning on doing ship excursion to Rabat and Taroudant but we are open to going on a tour on our own.

abram Aug 20th, 2008 03:41 PM

When we stopped in Casablanca, we negotiated with a cab driver when we got off the ship to take us to the places I had researched and wanted to see. It was his suggestion that we pay him when he returned us to the ship. We had a wonderful day.

ParrotMom Aug 20th, 2008 08:27 PM

JUST FELL across the question.. well, we stopped in Agadair and took the ships trip to Touradant...I can only tell you the guide on the bus spent the entire time extolling Islam and how the women loved it. He rushed us through the old souk and to a rip off cream place and then an overpriced souvenier shop.. Needless to say Parrot Mom doesnt put up with this... we were one of many who wrote complaints at the tour/pursers desk that evening..Even the cruisers who just went to Agadar on a tour were subjected to the same propaganda...FORGET TOURADANT.. Now it just so happens we are cruising to Casablanca in three weeks..and most of the passengers on Cruise Critic have decided to take the ships tour to Marakesh...as it is a long bus ride and feel we would be better off with the ships tour. So if you write me after 9/24at [email protected] Casablanca doesnt interest me at all and Fez was another option,but people who have traveled to Marakesh just loved it..

megdean Aug 21st, 2008 07:31 AM

We are also signed up for the Marrakssh tour, the overnight one. It cost about $395 per person, though, but we did not want to go there and come back the same day. I am very curious how your trip goes and will send you a note. We are on NCL. Interesting you are going back there, after you went last year.

Abram, I assumed you felt safe going with the cab driver on your own? Please reassure a nervous traveller - first time to Northern Africa. You read all this stuff about Algiers (different country, I know), and wonder.

abram Aug 21st, 2008 09:12 AM

Well, I wasn't exactly alone--there were four of us. And while I might not have done it by myself, I certainly would have with just my husband. The driver's English was quite limited, but between writing down where we wanted to go and my equally limited French, we were able to communicate.

We felt safe, and did the same thing in Tangiers and Tunis. This was a couple of years ago, but it usually ran us about $60 (for the four of us) plus tip.

ParrotMom Aug 21st, 2008 09:51 AM

MEGDEAN.. our trip to Casa was cancelledl last year due to some TROUBLES.. and they sent us Cartegena, Spain, I will tell you that Cartegena, Colombia is so far superior..lol...?Would of preferred Malaga which we are returning to and absolutely adore. Two hints I've received... dont sit on the same side as the driver... too hot and bring your own toilet paper and water.... We will be in Marrakesh via Casa (which everybody says is absolutely boring)on 9/12. They tell us its Ramadan...no visits to mosques and less visitors...Okay with me as long as I see the snake charmers and the Barbary Apes.
Yes, I wish we could have stayed overnight..we are doing the Celebrity Constellation..

heyjude2919 Jan 22nd, 2011 11:38 AM

book marking

ParrotMom Jan 22nd, 2011 12:33 PM

Marrakesh is a long, long way from Casa....The big draw was the market,but since we left before the evening we really did't get to see the excitement. Yes, i did take a picture of the snake charmer, the man selling false teeth and the orange juice man..Somehow or other I think I missed the true "market'.. oh yes... we went on a cruise sponsored trip... B ring plenty of water it's hot as hades...