Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   carrying wine in checked bags (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/carrying-wine-in-checked-bags-651543/)

golferone Oct 7th, 2006 09:49 PM

carrying wine in checked bags

I have heard that they are cracking down on taking wine on board. Has anyone had wine being kept on Royal Caribbean in their checked bags ? I'm going in March and would like to take 2 bottles on. I would prefer my wine as compared to their's which is higher priced and not as good. Thanks

wally34949 Oct 9th, 2006 07:16 AM

Best recommendations I have heard is to put it in your checked luggage and not a carry on bag.

Ziana Oct 9th, 2006 09:25 AM

If you poore it into ice thingy that made of rubber and has that screw on lid. You fill it with wine and place it into your checked luggage and here you go...

golferone Oct 9th, 2006 07:12 PM

Has anyone gone on the Splendour Of The Seas out of Galveston ? If so how was it ?

jacketwatch Oct 10th, 2006 03:28 AM

We took the Splendour before but it was out of Barcelona. Overall it was decent though not my favorite. For many reviews go to: www.cruisecritic.com.
Cheers, Larry :-)

kfusto Oct 12th, 2006 02:34 AM

Good wine in not meant to be put into other containers and then drunk later : (

Yes, they have cracked down. The were confiscating and discarding last month on SOV in Port Canaveral.

They are also randomly checking checked bags with X ray and calling the passengers down to claim them; then taking the bottles.

Smuggling is still alive and well, though now the luck of the draw.

BeachBoi Oct 12th, 2006 05:26 AM

golferone..I have not been on Splendour.But my TA (Dallas) books at least a couple of cabins a month on it.The resounding and recurring comment of returning cruisers: 'VERY Texas"...I think that says it all...:D

jacketwatch Oct 12th, 2006 01:36 PM

I think some people will try to bring ETOH on board despite the regulations to the contrary. There are always those who will try to beat the system. C'est la vie.

john44 Oct 27th, 2006 12:44 PM

We sailed on Legend of the Seas round the Med in May 2005, we took on two bottles of wine initially in our hand lugage, on the first two nights we took a bottle in to dinner, and got charged £2.40p corkage that is about 4 dollars.

At Gibralter I purchased 3 more bottles and got charged £2.40p per bottle when I took it on to the ship, we were given a receipt which I produced at dinner each noght and did not get charged any more corkage. at all subsewuent ports I purchassed more wine did not get charged for bringing it on board, and my waiter stoped charging me corkage, I believe he correctly ascertained he might get a bigger tip that way.

It was definately worth bringing it on board, RCCL were charging £22.45 for a bottle of Forstino V Rioja this I purchassed for less than £3 in Corsica, so you can see the savings are massive even if you pay the corkage.

Budman Oct 27th, 2006 05:11 PM

I just got back off the Zenith and took my own wine on board with no questions asked. I had a few bottles bubble wrapped in my checked luggage, and carried on board 3 bottles in my roller bag. I even took wine to the dinner table and paid $15 corkage.

Their policy states that have a no wine/alcohol carry on policy, but no one asked. ((b))

FLUFFYRED Oct 28th, 2006 06:46 AM

Just returned yesterday from the Princess Crown.We packed two cases of wine,one red,one white,in two moving boxes.We put luggage tags on both and unloaded both with our bags at the pier in Brooklyn.They both arrived at ous room before the bags.We knew we would have to pay a corkage fee,15.00 a bottle,but for our group it was worth it.Pack and enjoy.