Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   carry on wine Questions (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/carry-on-wine-questions-701748/)

bcirish May 2nd, 2007 12:03 AM

carry on wine Questions

qw are going on Holland America in May and know that we may bring wine and beer on the cruise and that there is a 15 corking fee for the wine. For the slow of brain could someone calrify this. Is there only a corking fee if we take the wine to the dining rom with us? I was panning on drinking some Italian wine in the evening while we sit on our balcony. I do not like to assume. Thanks in advance

bcirish May 2nd, 2007 12:04 AM

Lets try this again!
We are going on Holland America in May and know that we may bring wine and beer on the cruise and that there is a 15 corking fee for the wine. For the slow of brain could someone calrify this. Is there only a corking fee if we take the wine to the dining rom with us? I was panning on drinking some Italian wine in the evening while we sit on our balcony. I do not like to assume. Thanks in advance

Ida101 May 2nd, 2007 05:10 AM

If you drink it in your cabin, there is no fee.

Hold May 2nd, 2007 06:00 AM

It's a fee they charge IF you use there services to "put a cork" in the bottle, mark it with your name, store it in the fridge, etc. And only charged if they supply this service when you take it to the dining room. So if you drink it in your room... the fee does NOT apply.

Have fun and think of your fellow "Fodorittes" as you have one of those glasses of wine on the balcony!

Percy May 2nd, 2007 06:55 AM

Drinking wine on the Balcony of a cruise ship!

You sure know how to hurt a guy!!

Have a good time.

Percy

kfusto May 2nd, 2007 07:06 AM

Hold, this is incorrect. Just off HAL and cruise with them often and always bring my own wine. We drink a bottle with dinner and they serve it and uncork it, decanting as necessary. This is what they charge for, not labelling and storing.

No fees to drink in your cabin.

bcirish May 2nd, 2007 06:12 PM

Thanks for the clarification - now I will be on the lookout for some wine while we trot around Rome before our cruise - sorry Percy - how about if we have a drink for you!

Percy May 2nd, 2007 07:09 PM

bcirish

Okay its a deal!!!

You have a drink for me in May and I am going on a cruise in August so I will do the same for you.

I mean gee !!! one good turn deserves another.
Good Luck
Have a great time.
Percy

Hold May 3rd, 2007 05:01 AM

Sorry kfusto, but I'm not incorrect, and neither are you. If you look up the word "Corkage" it's described as "A charge exacted at a restaurant for every bottle of liquor served that was not bought on the premises. A charge for storing, chilling and serving of liquor"

Anyway bcirish, you won't be charged for this fee unless you bring the bottle to dinner with you, so enjoy... and I love the toast idea. We're sailing next week and I'll lift one (on our balcony) for each of you!

jcasale May 3rd, 2007 09:56 AM

Finding wine in Rome - I think you'll be able to find one or two decent bottles ;-)! I brought some wine on our last cruise and even brought my own wine glass so I didn't have to use just a water glass. A bit excessive maybe, but they had some for sale when I was buying the wine. Only problem - I left it sitting out one evening and hadn't had a chance to wash it out yet. Our cabin steward very thoughtfully took it thinking it was a glass from one of the bars on the ship. Fortunatley I discovered it right away and asked him about it. Within 5 minutes, he was back with my wine glass all cleaned out. Needless to say I always washed it right away after that :-)!

kfusto May 3rd, 2007 09:59 AM

Your response stated that corkage is a fee exacted for storage, chilling and labelling of wine. I can only tell you how HAL charges and it has nothing to do with them storing, labelling and chilling the wine, but is assessed even if none of those services are required, which was my point.

We have none left over, only drink red so no chilling required and are always charged a corkage fee.

We are happy to do so as most lines these days do not even permit one to bring aboard wines of their own choosing. Kudos to HAL as they earn our business largely for this reason. My group brought aboard 9 cases two weeks ago for a private tasting as well as consumption and we happily paid the fee.:)

dperry May 6th, 2007 10:35 AM

If you ask your steward they will bring you clean wine glasses every day
No need to transport glasses.