Antarctica cruise on Corinthian II

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2007, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have any knowledge of the Corinthian II? I understand that it is in the 'luxury' class and does an Antarctica cruise. We would appreciate any comments and suggestions. We plan to go approximately Jan 19th to Feb 1st..
Thanks!!!!!

Old Mar 17th, 2007, 07:09 AM

Hi - I was in Antarctica a little over a year ago on the Clipper Adventurer. A little less in price but 5 days longer trip length plus tipping is included. The Corinthian 11 looks like a beautiful ship though - I say go for it!!
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Hi Louise:
I looked at the photoes of the Adventurer..looks great. The price of the CII includes B/A to Ushuaia r/t flights and a night in B/A.
We are probably going to stay in B/A after the cruise. We would love to fly to the Falklands but the flights are weekly and I don't think I want a week there.
Any hints/advice on Antarctica would be most appreciated.
We have a lot of other travel before January, but I want to get the air tickets organized today.
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 11:55 AM

Hello, again - there is some very interesting informational postings on www.flyertalk.com. Find the yellow box in the middle of the opening page and pick "Travel & Dining". Scroll down to the very bottom topic - "Antarctica".
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

Great resource...but a lot of mention of sea sickness!!!!! Thanks. Do you also post on Cruise Critic? I was checking out on that site too and thought I recognized a posting which might be from you!
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 02:56 PM

Yes, that was probably me. The three websites I usually check every day are Fodors, Flyertalk and Cruisecritic. All great sources of information. About the seasickness - our crossing was fantastic but evidently the one before was terrible.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 04:50 AM

Re: seasickness. We were on the 1,700 GRT Molchanov this January. We were relatively lucky and the worst seas we had was 30 ft. That said, even in what the crew considered calm waters, the ship bobbed like a cork and rolled. Those who took seasickness precautions were OK even in the roughest weather. Those who did not, and for those whom the meds did not work, suffered quite a bit. But as soon as the ship was in coastal waters they were OK.

The Corinthian II, if I remember my stats correctly is about 4,000 GRT. So it is still a small ship and you will feel the motion more than you would on a big ship. I don't recall if the ship has stabilizers; that would help a bit.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 05:45 AM

Philbill - you probably have already heard about cabin location on ships to get the least motion - bottom, middle.
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 07:43 PM

Seriously ... forget about the seasickness ... if you get it (and I did) you soon get over it and antarctica is worth it anyway. the smaller the vessel the more intimate the journey, this is one adventure where luxury is not a consideration .... we sailed in dec on the sholkalsky (get the suite if u want the upscale accom) or mids if you worried about sick ... expedition crew amazing, camp site gob-smackingly beautiful ... yes you camp on the ice ... and food etc great. be prepared for long delays with argentine airlines tho.
DO IT NOW!!!
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the info! The ship (boat) does have stabilizers and to cost cut we have a cabin which is on the next to the bottom deck and forward (yes Louise, we were aware of bottom middle but thanks for reminding us anyway) so not the best but we will be positive. We have cruised probably over 60 or 70 times on mostly the regular cruise lines (Princess, RCCL etc.), and have been amazingly fortunate with smooth sailing around South America, between Aus. and New Zealand, Bay of Biscay etc. etc.. Touch Wood!!
eenusa..i was cutting and pasting all the seasickness remedies from postings and deleted the whole lot! deeross...sounds like you maybe get acclimated to the motion?? Nevertheless I want to be prepared. I have the bands, patches, Dramamine etc but have never had to use anything.
These sailings seem to sell out way in advance, so at least we have the booking and our mileage flights are ticketed.