Reload this Page >

Carnival much cheaper than RCCL?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2002, 01:13 AM
alex_wings

Does Carnival offer much cheaper prices comparing with RCCL?<BR>I want to sail the RCCL Explorer of the Seas this summer, but my relative says Carnival is much cheaper and she is reluctant to sail the RCCL. <BR>I personally prefer RCCL's ships and seems that they offer better service, but if it is true that Carnival offers much cheaper prices (my aunt said about US $150 less) than RCCL, then probably I'll have to choose Carnival.<BR><BR>Please could someone who've sailed on both ships confirm this? Thanks a lot!

Old Feb 24th, 2002, 02:37 AM
Theresa

I have found that Carnvial's prices are normally cheaper then RCCL's.<BR><BR>I personally would choose th RCCL experience over Carnival.<BR><BR>Also - I recently priced a balcony on both RCCL (Explorer) and Princess (Grand) and RCCL was $500 more for 2 people. Having sailed both and liking both - I choose Grand.<BR><BR>I also looked at a suite for Thanksgiving. I can get a Cat 11 Suite on Carnival for $1500 per person. An equivalant suite on RCCL will cost $2900 per person. Both on newer ships . .. . <BR><BR>I personally believe that Carnvial and NCL have some of the best prices out there in the cruise industry right now.

Old Feb 24th, 2002, 05:28 AM
alex_wings

Thanks a lot for replying, Theresa!<BR>I guess I prefer the Grand Princess then, which is only a bit more expensive than Carnival but better service.

Old Feb 24th, 2002, 12:18 PM
xman

Please stick to the princess line. RCCL was one of the biggest let downs I have ever cruised. Carnival does not pretend to be anything but what it is. RCCL claims to be an upscale and higher echelon of food. Baloney.I have had better food at Burger King. The Windjammer Cafe had one of the worst spreads I have ever seen. They would also close early ever chance they got. If the difference is as big as some of these people have stated, go Carnival. If you want to spend the extra money stick to what you know, but don't waste it on RCCL.

Old Feb 24th, 2002, 09:59 PM
Paul Therault

Hi Alex,<BR><BR>If you want the greatest cruise experience sail RCCL Voyager, Explorer or Adventure. Food is of secondary importance. <BR><BR>Most reasonable ships are Carnival Sensation and Paradise. <BR><BR>Paul

Old Feb 24th, 2002, 10:42 PM
alex_wings

Thanks all for the advice!<BR><BR>And Paul, I too want to sail the RCCL Voyager class ships, but the price difference between Princess and RCCL is too great, RCCL costs about $150 more per person! I guess if Princess offers good food and an overall great cruise experience, I should stick to Princess then.<BR>

Old Feb 25th, 2002, 02:34 AM
Theresa

Have sailed both Grand and Explorer.<BR><BR>I like both ships. I believe Explorer has more "activities" and Grand has better food. But I can say that I was never bored on the Grand and didn't go hungry on Explorer.<BR><BR>I choose Grand (because of price) to sail in April. I liked the ship a lot and the last time I sailed on her, the food was excellent and the service was wonderful.<BR><BR>You can't go wrong with either.

Old Feb 27th, 2002, 10:41 PM
Paul Therault

If there is only a difference of $150 between the price of Princess and RCCL Explorer or Voyager I would certainly choose RCCL. The cruise experience is something you will never forget. As I stated previously, the food is secondary and as another poster stated you will not go hungry. I found the buffets on both RCCL ships to be open all the time when other food venues are closed. Of course a buffet is a buffet is a buffet .... don't expect Bellagio, but there will be enough to choose to fill your tummy.<BR><BR>Paul

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 03:55 PM
Theresa

I have to disagree with Paul.<BR><BR>I don't think "Voyager/Explorer" is better then Grand Princess. I think they are different experiences and I enjoyed both.<BR><BR>I thought Princess was "classier" and RCCL more "comfortable".<BR>

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 10:43 PM
Paul Therault

I sailed both the Grand and Golden Princess and I believe they are the most beautiful ships in the world but I would sail the RCCL Explorer or Voyager again in a heartbeat. Try one, you'll see.<BR><BR>Paul

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 04:08 AM
Tom

Sailed both Grand and Voyager.<BR><BR>I liked both but would definitely choose Princess next.<BR><BR>There were so many kids on Voyager - they had taken over the main pool and were running up and down the promenade area. I couldn't believe that the parents were not with their kids or in control of their kids.<BR><BR>I also felt that the ship felt more like a resort then a ship. I actually like the feel of a ship.<BR><BR>I do like how Princess controls how many kids are on the ship and I can honestly say that I have not seen any kids out of control on that ship. I also like the Horizon buffet always open on Princess. Our food and service was better on Princess. It was just a nicer experience.<BR><BR>But if you were 12, I would probably choose Voyager/Explorer.

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 12:22 AM
Paul Therault

Princess does not control the amount of children on their ships (except in Bermuda). It is a fact they want more families. They want to fill their cabins. More passengers - bigger profit.<BR><BR>Paul

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 02:52 AM
Tom

Paul,<BR><BR>You literally have no clue.<BR><BR>Princess controls the amount of kids in each group on their sailings.<BR><BR>They only allow so many kids between the age of 0-2, 2-12 and 12-18.<BR><BR>I know this because I have tried to book cruises with my kids and we have been waitlisted because their were too many 2-12 year olds on the cruise. I had to wait until one cancelled. Quad rooms were available - I just could not get my oldest kid on the ship because of this policy.<BR><BR>Call Princess and verify. I am right on this!

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 02:58 AM
Casey

Paul - <BR><BR>Not sure if you are a real travel agent or even book or have sailed Princess but PRINCESS restricts the number of kids on their sailings. They do this for a reason!<BR><BR>Their brochure even says that! They reserve the right to refuse kids of certain ages.<BR><BR>I agree - call Princess and ask. My TA deals with this all the time.<BR><BR>I would think if you were any type of a TA - you would know this.

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 03:08 AM
Cindy

I am a travel agent and YES Princess restricts the number of passengers under the age of 17.<BR><BR>They do this in age categories. Princess has been doing this for years.

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 07:46 PM
xxxx

Wow you people are finally catching on. Paul is a senile old fart that probably hasn't been on a cruise in years. He has the classic middle child syndrome of look at me. I know everything. And then when he gets causght or is wrong he attacks the sender that has caught him. If he actually went on a cruise instead of reading the propaganda distributed by the cruise lines he might have soemthing intelligent to add to this board instead of his 3am posts.

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 10:04 PM
Paul Therault

All cruise lines have the right to restrict children if they wish. I have never experienced this with Princess. When it occurs, I will deal with it.<BR><BR>Paul

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 11:55 PM
Tom

Paul - Call Princess and ask how many kids they allow on per sailing. They have a set amount and it is very low compared to the unlimited amounts of kids on Carnival and RCCL.<BR>

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 06:03 AM
Carson

Paul - You must not book a lot with Princess then.

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 07:35 AM
Peter

Yea!!!! Keep this post alive. I love it when Paul gets caught. How much do you think he really knows if he doesn't know that Princess regulates the number of children on their cruises (yes Paul, all of them; not just to Bermuda). The way they do it is control the number of trips and quads they book with children under 17. Remember that Paul is the same guy who informed us that those passengers choosing the cruise line's transfers will get into the ship faster than those taking their own transportation from the airport - like their own private line at the terminal - yeah, right! I'm telling you, this guy gets some kind of kickback from the cruise lines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -