Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Carnival MBNA VISA Card is now a thing of the past. Wait till you hear the latest rip-off!

Carnival MBNA VISA Card is now a thing of the past. Wait till you hear the latest rip-off!

Feb 13th, 2001, 04:28 AM
Bob

For those of you who, like me, used this "Carnival VISA card" to get major discounts on your cruises...the offer is over. MBNA sent out notices that they were ending the deal that got you free cabin upgrades or, $500-$800 discounts on Carnival cruises. This was a great deal since the discounts were given AFTER YOU FOUND THE BEST DEAL YOU COULD ANYWHERE. I used it many times. With the old card you got 4% added to your cruise account for every dollar you spent on the VISA card.
The new offer from MBNA is a joke. They say they will issue you a new card that earns 2% on ANY cruise line. Not only do you earn half as many point as the old card but you are now restricted to purchasing all your cruises thru THEIR travel agency. So, all they have to do is mark up their cruises by 2% and .... you get the picture.
I'm calling MBNA to cancel my card and I'll tell them why. I hope you do the same.

Feb 16th, 2001, 03:37 PM
Paul Therault

Absolutely Bob, MBNA is running a scam.

Too bad Carnival has ended it's contract with MBNA, it was a fine program.

I presume Carnival's profit margin has gone throught the roof and they do not need any additional perks.

I also note the travel agent promos are now also a thing of the past but their prices continue to be about the lowest which is a win-win situation with all passengers.

Paul

Feb 19th, 2001, 11:59 AM
x

Actually, Paul, it is more likely that the credit card arrangement was made less rich because it was, um, too rich. Probably not because Carnival is making so much money that they just can't stand to have any more passengers.

Feb 24th, 2001, 04:25 AM
mr x

There is still time (program ends May 31).I say anyone who has one to get there last run on the card.

Feb 25th, 2001, 07:01 AM
Lisa

Paul, What do you mean when you say that travel agent promos are a thing of the past? Maybe I just don't understand because my agent has specials all the time. If you mean that they don't offer agents fams I think they still do a lot of those. Just trying to understand what you meant.