Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Carnival is now charging extra for food? (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/carnival-is-now-charging-extra-for-food-108747/)

Tim Feb 27th, 2001 07:07 AM

Carnival is now charging extra for food?

I was just reviewing a brochure on the new Carnival ship "Spirit" and noticed that in addition to the regular places to eat they have a special restaurant at the top of the ship that is by "reservation only" and if you choose to eat there you get charged for your meal. Since they've added cafe's that charge for special desserts and coffee I'm seeing a disturbing trend here. What's next Carnival? Charging for the shows, use of the gym, etc.? This is getting less and less like an "all inclusive vacation"

Sally Feb 27th, 2001 07:30 AM

I too am concerned. Carnival has learned that they can get people to pay extra for "better treatment/better services" so they do. This is moving them back to the days of different classes of passengers. They say that everyone is now "first class" but in reality, not everyone is getting first class treatment. Shame!

Sara Feb 27th, 2001 11:08 AM

Royal Caribbean and Princess both have done the same thing so its not a Carnival grab but an industry trend. (I think Princess charges $25.00)

Marilyn Feb 27th, 2001 12:07 PM

This isn't just Carnival. As the above poster mentioned, the new RCCL and Celebrity ships are also charging "reservation fees" for their altenative restaurants. Usually $25. NCL is also charging these fees on some ships. I believe the Sky has 3 restaurants that charge a $10 per person fee for dinner hours. This seems to be a new trend along with the prepaid tips and may take some getting used to. If you feel strongly about it I'd suggest not using those restaurants and letting them know why.

Paul Therault Feb 27th, 2001 11:28 PM

<BR>Hi Tim, <BR> <BR>The cruise lines do not force you to eat in these alternative restaurants. Don't do it. <BR> <BR>Better service, more romantic, possibly better food (depending on your taste). Just past of the overall cruise experience. Some passengers enjoy this. <BR> <BR>Paul

TexasRiders Mar 1st, 2001 07:48 PM

Passengers have been asking for all types of alternatives. The cruise lines are providing them. This is what the "new" cruisers want. <BR> <BR>As a traditional cruiser and a simply guy, I have paid for meals upfront and I will not eat in the alternative restaurants that charge an extra fee. I have no objections to all these alternatives. They are not for me and I certainly never suggested them on my end of cruise survey forms. <BR> <BR>As for the automatic tips, on the first night when there is no line at the Purser's desk, I will walk right up and tell the rep to delete the tip from my account. As a traditional cruiser, I will continue tohandout the tips based on the service received. Thank God there is at least one sane cruise line left. Holland America.