Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page > Carnival Destiny-Renting a car at the islands

Carnival Destiny-Renting a car at the islands

Aug 28th, 2006, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Carnival Destiny-Renting a car at the islands

We are thinking of going on Carnival Destiny. Has anyone rented a car to go around the island at the following islands? (Barbados, St. Thomas, St. Lucia, Antigua and Dominca). Any recommended shore excursions thru the ship or on your own? We have two kids ages 16 and 12. We once went on a cruise and rented a car in St. Kitts and went around the island. It is alot cheaper to rent a car then take a shore excursion to go around the island.
Aug 28th, 2006, 11:00 AM

By all means, do NOT rent a car in St Lucia. The driving/roads are awful. You would be better off taking a water excursion to the Pitons. St Thomas traffic is a nightmare. My kids are the same age as yours, and last cruise we took the ferry over to St John and snorkeled at Trunk Bay. They LOVED it. I've not been to Antigua, but Dominica is pretty wild and full of rainforests and not known for great driving. I suggest you go to www.cruisecritic.com and research the ports on the travel boards. There are suggestions for independant operators as well as comments on various excursions.
Aug 30th, 2006, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

How bad are the roads in St. Lucia? We just got back from 2 weeks in Costa Rica and the roads were really bad with potholes and small and big rocks allover the road. It was windy and slow going but we did it with a car. I can't imagine any place else that is worse. The other option is to take a taxi tour around each island. My question is that will the taxi driver wait if we want to have some beach time?
Aug 30th, 2006, 11:52 AM

Roads are not THAT bad in St Lucia. They have lots of curves and hills but they are not bad roads. Just do not expect to be speeding along as that won't happen
Aug 30th, 2006, 01:24 PM

Well, Curt, I've driven pretty much all over the world and when I saw the roads in St Lucia, we cancelled the jeep. Besides lots of potholes, the roads were not marked and we saw people riding horses on them, not to mention goats , chickens, etc everywhere. And of course they drive on the left.
Nov 11th, 2006, 04:02 PM

I would not recommend renting a car in Dominica, as the country is very mountainous with very curvy and winding. But do take a tour on the island, as it is the only way to truly enjoy the beauty of dominica.

You can contact Fredos of Fredos Tours for tour package options. Here is his contact info: [email protected] or [email protected]

Happy cruising.
Nov 11th, 2006, 05:08 PM

Last month, we rented cars in St. Lucia and Antigua.

In St. Lucia, Budget gave us the option of paying the required $20 for a St. Lucian drivers license, or paying $30 (plus tip and lunch) for a driver. To us, that was a no brainer, and our driver, Benny, was a delight.

We maintain that the primary product of Antigua is potholes--the roads were terrible. We rented from Hertz, and it was a major problem (which took an hour) to get the car.

I wouldn't rent a car in St. Thomas because although they drive on the British/left side of the road, they use American style cars--so the steering wheel isn't on the left, which always helps us remember to drive on the "wrong" side of the road. Plus, the roads are very hilly and curvy, and the traffic awful.
Nov 12th, 2006, 06:08 AM

The roads in St Lucia are not as bad as in Costa Rica but if you want a reall memorable day in St Lucia my kids were about your kids ages we used Shal's Jungle Tours. He had an old jeep type 4 wheel drive and we had one of the best days ever. Barbados the roads are confusing but not bad. Dominica we are going over New Years and are going to do a ship tour as it is so jungly!
Nov 17th, 2006, 04:20 PM

Barbados has very good roads except they are not well marked and they drive on the left side of the road.

We did a shore excursion there called "Rhino Riders" that were small (two person) rubber boats (like Zodiac with a center seat and steering wheel) with outboard motors that we drove in a group a couple of miles along the coast from near the crusie port and did snorkling.

Your kids would love it as the 16 YOA could probably drive the boat and on the dive we did two small sunken boat that were sunk for the fish to nest in.

I would do it again and it wasn't really that expensive.

Search this Thread