Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Carnival Conquest out of New Orleans May 2004? (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/carnival-conquest-out-of-new-orleans-may-2004-a-353220/)

Kimmier333 Aug 29th, 2003 12:56 PM

Carnival Conquest out of New Orleans May 2004?

Hello! I am planning a cruise for my husband, myself, 3yr old daughter, my mom & dad. We will be going in May 2004. We want to go on the Carnival Conquest out of New Orleans(we live in B'ham) so we wouldn't have to fly just drive there. Please tell me: is this a good cruise, the best excursions at the ports, balcony or oceanview room, water slide in pool, or any other comments, do's and don'ts? Thanks very much.
Kimberley

triathlete Aug 31st, 2003 09:49 AM

Kimberley:

Yes, it's good cruise, and May is a good time to go. It will be nice to not have to fly there.

On a 7-day, I'd go for the balcony--it's nice to have outdoor privacy.

In Montego Bay, there's a woman with a wonderful tour company. Her name is Carolyn Barrett, and her web site is www.barrettadventures.com. Options include hiking various waterfalls (Mayfield Falls is much less crowded and closer than Dunns River Falls, but you may need a baby-sitter--not sure). There's also a river rafting excursion that is probably mellow enough for the little one.

In Grand Cayman, you can probably take your daughter on a sting-ray tour. As you'll actually be standing on a sandbar in 3 1/2-foot deep water, you could easily hold her and let her pet stingrays.

There is a huge water slide, but it will have a height minimum that she may not meet.

Cheers!

Kimmier333 Sep 10th, 2003 06:57 AM

Hello Triathlete,
Thanks for your post. I did decide to book a balcony room for my husband, myself, and our 3yr old. I also booked an inside straight across for my mom, dad, and grandmother. We are on the Verandah deck. I would like to see dunns falls one day but since this is our family trip I want to do something that we could all do and enjoy. I was thinking of a day pass at an all inclusive resort that had big pool and nice beach in Jamaica. I was considering Beaches Negril. For Grand Cayman I will do the Stingray sandbar and for Cozumel-either the dolphin swim or encounter or go to the beach and shopping. If you have any other tips on Jamaica, Cozumel, or Grand Cayman I would greatly appreciate it. Our goal is to have fun, see gorgeous beaches and turquoise waters.
Thanks,
Kimberley

triathlete Sep 10th, 2003 08:11 AM

K:

Very smart to get one inside and one balcony cabin--everyone can enjoy the balcony without paying for it twice.

I did a dolphin swim in the Bahamas and it was great--I'm sure you'll have an equally good time in Cozumel. Plan ahead and contact them directly, though--better and less expensive than going through the ship.

If all you're looking for is a nice beach in Jamaica, I think you'll find plenty of options. However, it wouldn't hurt to e-mail Carolyn Barrett--we had such a great time on the Falls tour we did with her, she may have some other options for you. At the very least, some "off the beaten path" recommendations that might improve your time.

Enjoy!

davison Sep 10th, 2003 08:24 AM

In cozumel, the snorkling is wonderful. With a 3 yr. old you may want to take one of the glass bottom boats. (you go below deck and there is glass on both sides to look out).

snorkelcat Sep 10th, 2003 03:33 PM

I did the Conquest July 2003. Overall, it was a nice cruise. Early May will be nice because school will not be out by then.

I went on a tour with Carolyn Barrett with a family that had a 2 year old. We did a tour of Rose Hall Plantation, then stopped at Rose Hall Beach - which is small but a nice beach with no sales people on the beach. The family with the 2 year old had a great time and the child really enjoyed herself. I am not sure what Sandals charges for a day pass now, but the last time I checked, they charged between $40 a person. Rose Hall is either $10 or less per person. There are water sports there, or you can just relax at the beach. Our driver then took us shopping wherever we wanted to go and we all got to sample authentic jerk - very good. I definitely recommend Carolyn.

I don't know if you want to do Stingray city with your 3 year old - she may get scared. 7 mile beach is a nice option. Or, I think Nativeway will allow a cut rate for someone who wants to stay on the boat and not get in the water and someone could keep the 3 year old while others snorkeled. For Mexico, Chankanaab is a nice park with a small wading area for small children, plus they have a sea lion show. Find out if the child would be old enough to do the dolphin swim. Or, again, someone could stay with her while others did the dolphin swim.

bhickey Sep 15th, 2003 11:32 AM

We took the Western Caribbean cruise on the Carnival Conquest. I was afraid it was too big. It is large but we just loved this ship! It is gorgeous!!! Cannot say enough about it! The food was better than other Carnival ships we sailed before. The entertainment was "tops" and service good. We rode the bus on a overview of Jamacia. It takes you through dense tropical forest and lets you see the rural countryside with its wonderful people. On another trip we went to the rum factory and that was a ball. The locals give the tours in their charming patois speech. At Cozumel we did Tulum, interesting but very hot and a bit too strenuous for us, but the view from the top is gorgeous! Last time we went to Passion Island with a boat trip and food was served. Wonderful laid back fun..swimming available. Now at Grand Cayman we did the "submarine" and found it was overpriced for what you saw. The glass bottom boat is cheaper and mildly interesting. We also took the drive around Cayman ending up at the Turtle Farm. It is okay if you like turtles. We were not too impressed. We enjoyed sightseeing at the port/wonderful shops/buy the rum cake:wow! We would go back on the Conquest again..so beautiful...but we like to try new ports of call. Have a fabulous time.

Kimmier333 Oct 9th, 2003 01:52 PM

Thanks to all who replied. Got some good information. Although I do have another question. I was wondering if I should book the cat 12 penthouse suite on the empress deck instead of the 8c on the verandah deck? I know it is pricey but this is the first cruise for our family and we probably will not be going for another several years. My family has not been out of the US much less home state Alabama. My husband and I went to St. Thomas Wyndham Sugar Bay All-Inclusive in 1998. Anyways, either deck I will also be booking a room (inside cabin) across the hall for my parents. What do yall think?
Thanks,
Kimberley

AC Oct 9th, 2003 02:42 PM

Kimmier333:
I just had the Penthouse on Empress deck. We were upgraded from Verandah Deck at the last minute by Carnival because the ship was not a sell out. It was pretty big. Are planning on bringing something for your daughter to sleep in or are you going to use the sleeper sofa?
I also got a look at the room we would have had and it was pretty OK too. Either way we would have been ok with it. Enjoy!!

Kimmier333 Oct 9th, 2003 05:54 PM

AC,
Hello! I was planning on letting our 3yr old sleep either in the king bed with my husband and I or let her sleep on the double convertible sofa with her great grandmother (my grandmother). She is 77 and acts like she is 50. In very good health and we are so close. I just love her to death. Anyways, I wanted to take her, my mom (50) and my dad (55) on a cruise. They are thrilled to death. My dilema is the sleeping arrangements and trying not to spend too much, but am willing to pay whatever to make this experience as wonderful as possible. My grandmother snores really really bad. My mom snores really bad. My mom and dad want a room by themselves. My grandmother said she would sleep where ever, she just doens't want to be embarrassed by snoring or keep us up at night. Our daughter doesn't see my mom and dad on a regular basis and will probably not sleep in their cabin. My dad doesn't want his mother-in-law (my grandmother) in his cabin. My daughter can also throw fits and tantrums-don't want it to stress out my grandmother. So should I get the penthouse for me, my husband, daughter, & grandmother and an inside for my mom & dad? Or should I get a balcony for me, my husband, & daughter, an inside for my mom & dad, and an inside for just my grandmother? I really liked the penthouse, being it is very big and we would all hand out there some. And having a bath tub, vcr, sitting area, & a bigger balcony. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Kimberley

AC Oct 10th, 2003 02:55 AM

Kimberly:
Sounds a bit too crowded for me including your grandmother in the mix. It is big but the sleeper is not that far away that you won't hear the snoring and definitely no privacy for you and your husband. That said, I would opt for a cabin for your grandmother. Might cost a bit more money but for all concerned that sounds like a great idea. Enjoy your trip. We loved it and are already planning the next one!