Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   carnival cancels our trip & docks us money for their cancellation. (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/carnival-cancels-our-trip-and-docks-us-money-for-their-cancellation-65590/)

nancy Mar 16th, 2000 01:45 PM

carnival cancels our trip & docks us money for their cancellation.

a friend & i reserved a cruise on March 27 on carnival. they gave us 2 options when it became known that us air would strike...come early & they'd pay or reschedule. due to my union contract i was unable to go early with forfeiting my holiday pay and we were unable to reschedule this year. we had paid carnival for the cruise & air travel they made. they are docking us 150 dollars & they say it will take 6-8 weeks for a refund. our travel agent is disgusted, they could have used another carrier but they wouldn't (fares too high). I feel that we are entitled to a full refund, interest on the money they have held for 4 months, and an apology. they were rude in the handling of this business. instead of a relaxing vacation we are faced with no trip & no money for our vacation week ? dream cruise lines - no nightmare - carnival, you've lost my business.

Anne Mar 16th, 2000 06:33 PM

I have a relative that works in the cruise industry who says at all costs stay away from Carnival. You're in the right, but will probably never get what you're looking for.

Paul Therault Mar 16th, 2000 07:21 PM

Dear Nancy, <BR> <BR>I am a TA and have never seen a winter season such as this. Carnival is not the only vacation supplier that is having problems with the airlines. <BR> <BR>Serious flight delays, cancellations, lost baggage, etc. The government is looking all this over but the airlines are all high and allmighty. <BR> <BR>There is no reason CCL should make you change your day or time without proper compensation. <BR> <BR>I am glad to hear your TA is working with you on this. This is what we do. <BR> <BR>i would advise you to draft a letter to Bob Dikinson, President of CCL. <BR> <BR>If these problems are not resolved in the near future we will see the cruise lines do away with the air portion of their packages and have the passenger purchase air on their own. It is a sad situation. <BR> <BR>I'm sure your money will be refunded albiet the charge card wait. <BR> <BR>Good luck, Paul <BR>

Harry P. Ness Mar 25th, 2000 05:24 AM

Your first problem is that you work in a union. Unions are bad for America. You know that $150.00 your talking about....well that was money overpaid to you to work a job where you get 12 fifteen minute breaks, one lunch hour and leave at 5:00 everyday. Union people work slower to get paid more. You are all lazy freeloaders!

elaine Mar 27th, 2000 08:45 AM

Nancy, <BR> <BR>In addition to your travel agent contacting Carnival, you may want to consider contacting your credit card company and telling them you are 'in dispute' with the cruise line and will not pay $150 charge at this time. If you are disputing a charge, most credit card companies will also contact the 'retailer' in this case, Carnival. The cruise line does not want to alienate themselves from credit card companies. <BR>Hope this info is helpful. <BR>Such a shame you were forced not to take your vacation. <BR>Please posted as to the outcome. <BR>

Mark Mar 27th, 2000 03:57 PM

Carnival is renound for cheap fares,bad service and poor customer service.Fires and breakdowns also seem to be a problem. I would recommend Princess,Royal Caribbean or Holland America.All 9 of our cruises on these lines have been wonderful.Customer service is a priority with these lines. As for Mr.Ness's reply, I think he was completely out of bounds. The author was asking for helpful feedback,not a diatribe against unions. You know a person is ignorant when they state all people are something. He doesn"t know all people ,unions or members or otherwise.

Therese Apr 4th, 2000 01:34 PM

Our plane was delayed due to weather so we 'missed' our Carnival boat Tropical. We were to be at the dock by 4:00pm, they knew we were landing at 4:30, but they left port at 4:15 anyway saying 'a small boat can't wait. They left 8 of us behind. Calls to Carnival lines are 40 and 60 minute waits and the response is 'have your travel agent call', and 'mail in the insurance forms'. We paid for insurance, and we choose their 'flya weigh' program. They advertise 'the only money back guarantee in the business'. TWA promptly took responsibility and paid for the hotel, food and new ticket to 'catch' the boat , but finally (three days later) the Carnival rep. in the airport told us to go home because we had, 'done all we could to catch the boat'. We want a full refund of the cruise not taken and the airfare to nowhere. Are we dreaming?

therese Apr 15th, 2000 04:08 AM

hi..I'm the original author of this problem..it's been over 5 weeks, the insurance has been filed & we are still waiting. We sent multiple letters out including to the Pres. of Carnival & US Air. US Air did call & express their sorrow at our plight & did tell us they were not charging a cancellation fee to the cruise line ( Carnival is still charging us one) Pretty sure I'll never book through Carnival again - I'll have to hear a lot of good & get my refund first&gt; Sorry for your problem - I'd suggest letters from all your party to customer relations & the president of Carnival as well. <BR>Nancy

Ishoo Apr 16th, 2000 07:02 AM

Stay away from CCL, they just don't care about you or customer relations.

Roger Vineall Apr 17th, 2000 10:45 AM

Why don't you lay a criminal charge of fraud? I think consumers have to fight for their rights to protect themselves and others - so I wish you well with your fight and thank you for your efforts that hopefully will make things a bit better for me one day. I promise to do my bit for you should I encounter a similar scam.