Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Cannes to Monte Carlo (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/cannes-to-monte-carlo-483357/)

DOCK Oct 30th, 2004 10:45 AM

Cannes to Monte Carlo

Our ship docks in Cannes at 7am and sails at 8pm. Is it possible to train to Monte Carlo for a few hours in that time span. We do not want to spend 8 hours driving around the entire riviera stopping at the many other towns. We would like to see Monte Carlo and come back to Cannes in the afternoon and amble around Cannes or have some beach time. The cruise tour to MC is a full day and I notice people who have taken private tours do so fo a full day as well.

simonv Nov 1st, 2004 07:10 PM

Why don't you hire a car and driver for the whole day?

Budman Nov 2nd, 2004 03:39 AM

To answer your question, Yes!! There's a train that runs up the coast. You'll have plenty of time.

Does your ship pull into Villefranche? If so, the train station is down the road, a short walk to the right as you get into the tender pier. ((b))

DOCK Nov 2nd, 2004 04:52 AM

Hi Budman, thanks for the help. Ship docks at Cannes and from my research it appears that there is not much except the film festival area and the beach. We have never been to Monte Carlo so would like to just get an overview of the place and then spend some time in Cannes on the beach with the boys later that day if we have time. If you do get to read this , is it also possible for us to do Pompeii ourselves taking the Circum---- train and from there onto Sorrento and then boat back form Sorrento to Naples. Is that too much by ourselves and risky in terms of not getting back to the ship on time.thanks Faye.

24krose Nov 3rd, 2004 06:22 PM

In regards to things to do in Cannes: there's a street in back of the Croisette loaded with lots of local color. In Cannes, stroll along the Croisette. The beaches are TOPLESS and it's quite the norm. You can tell the westerners as they're the ones with the tops on. It's no big deal as Europeans aren't so boob concious as Americans. PS--it will probably take over an hour by train to get to Monte Carlo. Go rent the movie French Kiss with Meg Ryan and towards the end they show alot of Cannes.

Budman Nov 4th, 2004 03:43 AM

dock, I've only done Pompeii, Sorrento, and the Amalfi coast by rental car. I would suggest posting this on the Europe Forum. Someone who has actually done it could be of more help with the logistics of this. ((b))

24krose Nov 4th, 2004 11:47 AM

Dock: It is basically impossible to do your Sorrento/Naples/Pompeii on your own. THe Hydrofoil takes 1 hour to get to Sorrento from Naples. By car it's a 2-3 hours at least as the roads are winding, 1 lane and not straight. You can hire your own car and driver but you'll have to get up VERY early and your day will be rushed.

DOCK Nov 4th, 2004 03:16 PM

Thanks 24krose. Will look into doing it through ships excursion then. Have you been to Naples and what would you recommend to see there. We would like to do Pompeii for sure and I know I can take the train from Naples. What is there to see in Naples? Do you have a trip report somewhere.

esd Nov 4th, 2004 04:11 PM

If you go to raileurope.com, you can check the Cannes to Monaco schedule and see that there are trains all day and that it takes a little over an hour each way. What they show is a current schedule but I'm sure the new one will be very similar. You have a long day there and should have no trouble getting there and back with time left over.

Last time we were in Italy we took a bus to Monaco from Spotorno where we have family. It was a wonderful day trip. The bus picked us back up that afternoon and we didn't have to worry about parking, etc. It's a very, very beautiful place and easy to wander around and see.

24krose Nov 5th, 2004 11:48 AM

Dock--you're on a cruise, right? Just take the ship's excursion and don't worry about it. We've been to Naples and there really isn't much to see but be VERY WARY of pickpockets. I'm sure there's a ship tour of Naples-- it will take 2-3 hours or so. I know I keep recommending ship tours, but unless you get a Let's Go guide book or one of the other ones, you'll spend lots of time worrying about getting from 1 place to another and not enjoying your trip. We did alot of Europe on our own, and in Greece if we didn't catch this 1 bus back to Rhodes city (another was due in 15 minutes) we'd have missed the boat!! Also, look and see what days you're going to be where-i.e. Sundays Italy closes down basically...

DOCK Nov 5th, 2004 02:19 PM

Hi 24krose. Sounds like you are also taking a cruise in July 2005. from Rome. I have booked ours and now getting down to the details. My hubby does not enjoy the planning. I on the other hand do not want to miss out on anything, so the key is not doing too much on one day and off course to ultimately enjoy the tours. I have looked at private tours in some places but for 4 of us , 2 kids 10 and 15 the ships prices are rather competitive, so for the long days I think we will just do the ships tour and leave the logistics up to them.Now to decide on rome and Florence hotels. Our cruise leaves on 20 July 2005 Rome-Rome. Our first Med. cruise.Thanks for your input.

24krose Nov 8th, 2004 08:59 AM

Let me guess--you're on Carnival's Liberty--right????We're leaving on the 20th also!! Rome(Civitavecchia) Rome. LEt me suggest a website to help you with hotels: www.octopustravel.com or hoteldiscounts.com I booked w/octopus--they INCLUDE breakfast--very important. Also, get a guidebook to help you. I've been to Rome 3x extensively (on our own) and things change.

DOCK Nov 8th, 2004 09:43 AM

Finally someone else on the 20 July I was starting to think we were the only ones as most have booked for the August sailings. We are flying in on the 14 as we want to go to the Cinque Terre and spend 2 days in Rome prior to the cruise. We have never been to Italy so I am sooo excited.You have already booked hotels so I had better get started. Thanks for the websites will check them today.

24krose Nov 8th, 2004 11:37 AM

R U flying into Rome to get to Cinque Terre? That's around Portofino and is very pretty. Also, are you are taking the train to Civitav. or are you hiring a private car?? Read my question of Rome to Civitavechhia--it should help. Also, call the cruise line and see what type of transpo from train station they have. Two days in Rome is kind of not enough. Actually it depends on what you want to see--allow at least a good 3/4 day to do the Vatican and Sistine Chapels. The markets in and around ROme are also worth a visit. Get a Knoph guide to Rome--it really helps. Also, I book early because I have found that hotels offer bigger discounts when u book early. Our hotel already went up about $50.