cancellation due to ship being chartered?

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 11:45 AM
Chris

cancellation due to ship being chartered?

Has anyone ever heard of a cruise being cancelled due to it being chartered? Can they do this? I thought once I made the reservation and paid the deposit, we were good to go. The only thing the cruiseline(RCCL) is offering is booking on another later cruise and a $200 shipboard credit. Does this seem appropriate? Sorry, I'm rambling, just a little irritated. The date was important as its our honeymoon. If someone has had this experience or let me know what our recourse is, I'd appreciate it.<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>Chris

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 12:35 PM
Debbie

I had the same problem a couple years on RCI with the Enchantment of the Seas. A company chartered it for two weeks (one of the weeks we were booked). They told my ta I could book another ship and she fought them to get us some money off - an inconvenience fee or something silly it was called -but my travel agent did have to fight for it. they did not offer us $200 shipboard credit. We ended up booking a repositioning cruise on the Nordic for 10 days for a better price and in the long run it worked out for the best. Hope it does for you too.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 12:39 PM
Sheli

Chris:<BR><BR>This happened to us 2 years ago on RCCL Sovereign of the Seas. We agreed to move to the next week (like we had a choice) and they upgraded us 2 categories.<BR><BR>We did not mind changing weeks (they gave us 6 months advanced notice, we had not booked airfare yet) and we got upgraded, which was fine by me.<BR><BR>Not sure what recourse you have. Ours worked out for us.<BR><BR>Sheli

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 12:47 AM
Stephanie P.

Chris:<BR><BR>I'm glad you posted this. I was decided between RCCL and Princess for a cruise next year, I'll pick Princess as I don't want to have to change travel plans because of rude and ignorant cruise lines.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 12:51 AM
Paul Therault

<BR>Hi Chris,<BR><BR>Sorry to hear of your dilemma.<BR><BR>Have your travel agent go to bat for you. If you do not have one, you will have to pursue the issue yourself.<BR><BR>Due not go into too much detail. Just tell them that the charter is something that was under their control and the $200 is unacceptable to you.<BR><BR>I am really surprised the RCCL is doing this to you. You should receive at least 50% off the next cruise. Also it should be the date of your choice.<BR><BR>Possibly the cruise that was cancelled was far in the future. Therefore you have time to make another choice. In that case I believe the cruise line offering is fair.<BR><BR>Good luck,<BR><BR>Paul

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 06:45 AM
Chris

Thanks for the info. Our travel agent basically said she'd work for an upgrade. They only offered the onboard credit since it is still 4 months away. I wouldn't normally care except for the fact that it coincides with our honeymoon. Also, I'm hoping they will take care of any price changes in airfare that will have to be rescheduled. It seems bad policy to take someone's deposit and then bump them if they can get more money. Oh well, I'm sure it will work out in the long run.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 10:29 AM
paul

It may not be a popular policy, but if you had a cruise ship that was 1/4 booked and General Motors came along and chartered the ship at full capacity (which they have done) wouldn't you take the money? I agree that they should compensate those who have booked already more appropriatly they posted above. You have to be a 'squeaky wheel' to get what you deserve. As for changing plans to cruise Princess instead of RCL because they charter their ships, ALL cruise ships are available for charter amd most are chartered very early before the bookings start to roll in from the general public.

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 03:21 AM
Betsy

Sorry to hear this is still happeing. It happened to the 4 of us 12 years ago. Our agent then (that's why i do things myself now!) wouldn't do anything but book us a later trip, much later that did not suit our scheduled vacations. Yes, the squeaky wheel gets oiled! Complain on a daily basis! Don't let up-it is YOUR vacation! It did not happen with RCC it was Cunard! So it can happen to anyone on any line. Good luck! You would think for just 2 of you there would be one cabin left?

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 11:07 AM
catamo

This haapened to us last year on the Millennium, but we only got a couple of months notice.( and it was spring break). As teachers, we could only go this week. Volkswagen booked the whole ship and we were give a $300 shipboard credit. We had already booked our own air and hotel and had to choose something that went out at the same time. Ended up on the Century leaving a day later. We had a great time but we wanted to go on the Millennium. As it turns out Volkswagen backed out, and Celebrity offered the cruise at deep discount rates to only certain travel agents. They didn't consider re-offering it to us. We were not impressed and after many letters back and forth , we basically only received a "sorry" letter.

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 12:18 AM
Paul Therault

First, no one should blame the travel agent. They do try their best. You are still better off with one than without. Also those that purchase their own air and not that of the cruise line will find out they definitely do not have the backing of the cruise line.<BR><BR>Paul

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 09:38 AM
consideryourselflucky

Chris,<BR>A similiar situation happened to us but we were not as fortunate. We book our cruises approximately 10-12 mths in advance. We arrived on board to find 3/4 of the ship with Insurance agents/families on a free company cruise. (We had cruised this same ship the year prior with much the same crew). For those not in "THE GROUP", we were treated as though we weren't there. The group had pre-arranged many rooms, including dining and shows as well as the tipping w/RCCL. The staff was aware of this. No matter how much the staff did, their tip was already figured. This caused the service to be mediocre at best. There were families of 6 to 30 who weren't dining at the same time so that the group could be accommodated. Because so many people were together, it was next to impossible to go anywhere on the ship without huge lines. It was wonderful that a company would do this for their employees but it was our argument that RCCL should have notified the "Paying Public" (who also works hard to pay for a cruise) that a Large group was scheduled on the ship and that this may have a negative affect on onboard accomodations and schedulings. I'm glad to see that they are now doing this - but I hope they are not bumping people but giving them the option, especially if its relatively close to your sailing date. We survived it and have since cruised RCCL 3 more times but I always tell my travel agent to Please ask First if any groups are booked. Good Luck and Have a Great Honeymoon.<BR>