Cancel DR because of trouble in Haiti?

Feb 26th, 2004, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Cancel DR because of trouble in Haiti?

Leaving on the Constellation on 2/28. First stop is Casa de Campo in the DR. Will the ship still stop there even with the trouble in Haiti? Thanks.
Feb 26th, 2004, 09:00 AM

Probably not. Currently RCCL has cancelled all ports and enjoying a day at sea instead.
Feb 26th, 2004, 10:40 AM
JMM

If RCCL has cancelled DR stop then they are over-reacting. The border with Haiti is more than 100 Kilometres from La Romana. The DR has a long history of dealing with (sometimes quite ruthlessly) any potential trouble from Haiti. Personally I would not hesitate to vacation in the DR or to make a cruise stop there.
Feb 26th, 2004, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

I called Celebrity, they said they were still going. RCL stops at Labadee, which is part of Haiti, I think that's why it was cancelled.
Feb 26th, 2004, 11:05 AM

This subject is driving me crazy!!! If there were a war in Canada does that mean you wouldn't visit NYC or Miami or Washington, D.C... of course not.... Casa de Campo is far away from Haiti.. We have just come back from the D.R. and were in a hotel next to CDC and visited Altos de Chavon. The only problem in the D.R. is inflation.. Labadee would be cancelled but not CDC which is a magnificent resort and a must is Kandella in the evening (I know Celebrity offers it) in Alto de Chavon...Gezz
Feb 26th, 2004, 11:31 AM

Yes Lewis you are correct, RCCL does go to Labadee. Better safe than sorry.
Feb 26th, 2004, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

ParrotMom

Just to clarify, I wasn't concerned for our safety really, I was only "thinking out loud".

We do plan on Kandella though!
Feb 26th, 2004, 01:40 PM

We thoroughly enjoyed Kandella.. we were clued into it by a Celebrity cruiser..The show has been developed since CDC became a cruise port. The stairs to the ampitheatre are very, very steep (cushions are provided by the way) and so although there is help down be careful..
Feb 27th, 2004, 11:49 AM

The cruise line will follow the dictates of the state department. If they say don't go, they won't. Also, they will do whatever they think is necessary for the safety of the passengers. I have been on many cruises where ports were cancelled for various reasons. The days at sea can be the most fun days. Have a great time

Search this Thread