Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Can you or can't you . . .take wine/alcohol aboard Holland ships?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 01:43 PM
cruisinsoon

I've just read and re-read all the info I picked up today for our upcoming Holland cruise and, while it suggests that alcohol (and other irreplaceable items like meds, electronics, etc) be packed in carryon bags, it also says that 'beverages may not be brought on board at embarkation or from ports." So can you or can't you bring wine and/or other alcohol for personal consumption on the ship when you board? I've read horror stories about confiscation at boarding with some lines . . . From my only other cruise, I recall that what I bought on shore was held for me until we disembarked at the end of the cruise. I just don't want to bring a bottle or two of wine on with me and have it confiscated . .. Any first-hand info much appreciated.

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 02:45 PM
maryann

We have been on 3 HAL cruises and have always brought liquor and beer onboard. IN THE CHECKED LUGGAGE. in the ports, we have brought beer and sodas, also. Nothing has been taken.<BR><BR>On our upcoming cruise, we are having a refrig. placed in our cabin ( $2 a day) to keep it all cold.<BR><BR>I transfer all liquids in plastic bottles.and never had a problem.

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 04:48 PM
cruisinsoon

Maryann,<BR>Thanks for your reply. I was a little nervous about packing anything liquid in the checked bags but, since we're driving to Tampa rather than flying, guess it will be okay.<BR><BR>Did you mean that you pour wine/liquor from glass bottles into plastic? Do you leave beer in original glass/alum. containers? When you bring wine/liquor back to ship, can you take that to your room as well? What about buying beverages in dutyfree on board - do they hold those for end of cruise, or are you permitted to take those to your stateroom as well? Maybe the policy just varies from ship to ship and the less expensive lines don't want to lose that valuable liquor revenue to what you buy or bring with you . . .<BR><BR>Thanks again! Anyone else w/any recent experiences?<BR><BR>On rereading, guess this sounds a little compulsive, but it amazes me that cruise lines can restrict what you take to your room, where a hotel would never ask a question!

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 06:34 PM
Lew

Here's our recent experiences concerning bringing on alcohol on HAL.<BR><BR>In the Virgin Islands, could have brought a truck load on without any interference. We brought 5 liters onto ship which was kept in cabin.<BR><BR>In the Caymans, all locally purchased alcohol was delivered to the ship and did not see it until disembarkation. Were told Cayman tax law...but this doesn't make sense once outside Cayman waters.<BR><BR>In Cosamel, dragged only 1 liter on board, and no one said Boo.<BR><BR>All dragging is plain sight. No attempt was made to conceal we were bringing booze on board.<BR><BR>Can purchase alcohol in ship's store, and if want to take it to your cabin, HAL addS a 20% surcharge.<BR><BR>But why bother when &quot;drink of the day&quot; only costs $2.75-3.95.

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 04:36 AM
maryann

Lew answered most of your second questions. I'll add that we do transfer liquid out of glass containers into plastic and have can beer.<BR><BR>We like to have a few drinks in our room while showering and dressing for dinner then go to the lounges before we eat. Our bar bills run $300-$500 depending on the length of the cruise.<BR><BR>The ships are still making money on us.

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 06:01 AM
BerryBerry

No booze permitted. Period.<BR><BR>HAL wants you to drink theirs. Period.<BR><BR>Greed.

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 06:16 AM
Lew

BerryBerry hiding behind a non-existant email address:<BR><BR>My experience outline was true as of October 26, 2002 when I completed a 20 day HAL repositioning.<BR><BR>Do you usually cruise HAL or is it Carnival whose policy you're describing?<BR>

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 01:23 PM
fred

berry berry is incorrect. HAL does not currently prohibit bringing liquor on its ships. The reference in the brochure is to beverages that you are consuming in port. E.g, a partally consumed bottle of beer or soda.